Rocinante's Topper | The 1986 Toyota Truck Wildernest Build

GRM

7 years ago, I found Rocinante in a field in Paso Robles. My 1985 4Runner has seen better days and needed to be retired. My goal with the truck has always been to have a 'expedition' worthy rockcrawler that can take me over the most remote trails of California. While I won't get into the details of the vehicle build (you can read that here: http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rocinante-the-1986-extra-cab-4x4.252368/), I will say that the biggest hurdle I have been trying to conquer was being able to quickly setup and take down camp.

IMG_6510[1].jpg

My first attempt was a sleeping platform - which didn't fit my needs. But I knew that having a hard-side shell was a necessity for my style of travel.

After this years Dusy-Ershim trail, the stress cracks in the Brahma shell were beyond repair. My goal was to find a similar replacement - a noble plan that was thrown out the window when I found a Wildernest shell 5 miles from my house!

When I saw the shell, I jumped at the chance, as this could be a great solution to quickly setting up camp. I contacted the owner and bought it sight-unseen. I knew it had some mildew and mold issues - but all are things that could be fixed. After a lot of effort trying to get the shell off at his house (these things are heavy!) we came to my house and made quick work to get it on my old Toyota.

IMG_7352.jpg

GRM

After getting the shell setup in the daylight, I found how much mold and mildew was in the tent. Not only does it need a deep cleaning, but the mattress needs to be replaced.

IMG_7369[1].jpg
IMG_7372[1].jpg
IMG_7378[1].jpg

Which leaves me with a parts pile including
  • Vibration-Resistant Serrated Flange Head Cap Screws
  • 2" OD Zinc-Plated Steel Oversized Flat Washer
  • M8x1.25 Rivnuts
  • Nikwax Tech Wash
  • 303 Marine Multi-Surface Cleaner
  • Nikwax Tent & Gear Solarproof
  • 1.25" x .1875" Camper Mounting Tape

IMG_7404.jpg
IMG_7406.jpg

Beyond this- I need help with the following:
  • What can I do to keep the mildew from coming back?
  • Is there a comfortable off-the-shelf mattress to replaced my rotted one?
  • The sleeping platform feels weak in the middle - is there supposed to be a support under the mattress?
  • What lessons do I need to learn about owning a Wildernest?

Thanks for everyone's help! Hopefully I can get this one together, which will in turn help others with their Wildernest Camper!

Last edited:

christianoffroad

Cheap Adventurer!
First thing, congratz on getting a 'nest! I have an 8foot on my F-350, love it! Had to replace my canvas due to age, cpl of tears, and the same mildew/mold issue.
If the canvas is in good shape, scrub it down with a light bleach/water mix, gotta kill all the mold. once its cleaned (will probably still have stains) rinse good, let dry, and re-waterproof.
Biggest thing to prevent mold from returning, never break it down wet. If you have to, get it back out soon as possible and let it dry before folding it back up. Also make sure the seal on the top is in good shape.
As far as the bed, I used an air mattress, much more comfy!
The platform probably feels weak because water has gotten in and degraded the fiberglass from the inside. I don't have and answer to that, mine has the same problem. I am planning on putting a 4x8 sheet of Nida-cor or something similar on it and bond it to the platform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC