roof rack aerodynamics

girvin

Ok so starting on my trailer this week it will end up the same roof hight as my TV GX470. I am a surfer and alot of my small boards live in a cubby I have 2 boards around 7 ft that I designed a space for in the trailer but they take up alot of storage room. How much drag would throwing these on the roof in a tule box cause? My truck gets like 15MPG with the V8 and I have no Idea how bad it will be towing a 2200 lb trailer. What are your thoughts. If I get 11 or 12 with the trailer and it wouldnt change much I would just throw them on the roof. I only have a max air fan going up there currently.

girvin

Yeah maybe I should just go rack. I had a net like that in my van but you have to be able to get it real tight so they dont bounce around and drive you crazy.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
You drive a GX, not a Jeep. But, maybe this scientific aerodynamic visual aid of a cow versus a Jeep will aid you in your decision. Good luck.

Btw, a Thule Box and rack on your trailer, given the height of your GX is going to hit your MPG. I lost maybe 1-2 MPG due to the "sail effect" of the trailer and box, not to mention all the additional weight you tend to put in the trailer due to the space. Good luck!

IMG_4967.PNG

Teardropper

Not trying to be a wise-ass, but stick your palm out the window at sixty. That's drag and it eats gas.

There's a point with a camp-rig, you just have to swallow and pay for a few more gallons of gas. And have fun.

6VpEAtX.jpg

T

girvin

well I forgot about the awning so I guess a thule box wont really make any difference lol. We have 5k mile trip next year so this will hurt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle