Roof rack wiring for 95 series.

Hawk Thor

I have two gutter mounted roof bars. I plan on building a box to go on them and I have already mounted small worklights to light up the ground to the sides. I have not wired the lights yet because I´m not sure what´s the best way to route wires up there and to get them to the outside.

I want to lay some wiring up there for future use. Worklights for the back and sides, forward facing spotlights and/or a search light and solar-cells. So thats probably 5 12V+ wires and a common ground, and the wires for the spotties and search light will need to support a 100W bulb.

Should I drill the B-pillar and have the loom come out between the doors and run it up the roof bars leg, or should I drill a hole in the roof and pull my wiring thru one of these (see image below) and seal it with plenty of silicone? I will have a junction box in the roof box for the common ground wire and more.
1545.11.07,1545.11.10.jpg

How would you run the wiring to the roof rack? Any hints or tips? Is there any "official" route for roofwiring in a Prado, inside pillars or behind interior panels. I´m quite capable of connecting everything but I don´t want to start drilling my roof if there is a better way. The rack will not go further back than 1/3 of the cargo area windows and no further front than mid front doors.

Klierslc

Explorer
Dunno about the Prado, but on an 80 I would run everything through the wiring grommet for the rear hatch, then up the rack. I would avoid drilling the roof at all costs. Do the Prados have vents behind the rear windows? If so, you can route things through there too.

Also, If you have a stock roof rack, you could run the wires through one of the holes for that. HTH,

Dan

Bulldust

You could try searching or asking the question on http://www.pradopoint.com, which is an Australian Prado owners website, there is a section there for 90/95 series owners who could probably help you out.

I know on the 120 series your best option would be to run the wiring down the side of the rear door where the hinges are and then behind the bumper and up the wiring grommets into the car, could be a better way for the 95 though.

Hawk Thor

I plan on mounting a box on one side of the roof rails/bars and have shovel and ski holders on the other side. The box will not go all the way to the backdoor and no further than mid-front doors. I called Arctic Trucks and they recommended drilling the roof under the box and using one of those cable clamps/glands.

I also took a good look at a couple of old ICE-SAR 80 Cruisers. They used two of these clamps/glands through the roofpanel to run wiring for spotlights, worklights, search-lights, rotating emergency lights and one had a 12V aircompressor in a roof mounted box.

I have also changed my wiring plans. I will run a large 12V+ wire and a matching ground wire to the roof. I will also use a CAT-5 or a slightly more robust control cable to engage relays mounted in the roof-box. This should be the cleanest way to run the wiring and should fit through one clamp/gland.

I had already posted this on PradoPoint, but thanks.

I´m not worried about what effect drilling the roof might have on resale value, the Cruiser is already cut up and way beyond being able to return to stock.

DSC02174.jpg

Hawk Thor

Yeah, aerodynamics are important in a Cruiser. :sombrero:

Thats a nice looking connector though.

I was thinking about running the wires thru the clamp/gland and having a Anderson connector or Power Poles bolted to the underside of the box. Then having a connector on the control cable so the box is easily removed. Both connectors would be fastened to the box so there should be no stress on the wires. I might fill the plugs with dielectric grease to keep them from filling with water and then cracking in the frost.

Blizz

Observer
Hello,

If this helps, I use marine plugs for the roof rack wirings.

They are waterproof and you can use the cap when you don't have the rack.

enchufe%20intem.jpg

There are with 2, 3 and 4 poles. I use to put the 4 poles one, so you've a ground an 3 positives.

Cheers,

David

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal