Roof Top Tent, unused On-Top clamshell type, SOLD

ChrisKul

]I bought this tent for an 8000 mile fly fishing & hiking road trip last summer. We made the trip, but didn't use the tent. It's made by On Top, which was a Florida company that lasted for a week or so. I spoke to the owner and he told me that the fiberglass shells were made by a local boat building company and the canvas bits were sewn by a boat canvas place using Sunbrella. We actually chatted for a while since I used to be in the boat building business. Having been in manufacturing for decades I can tell you that this top is well made.

I'm only asking $650 if you pick it up here in Annapolis, MD.

Here's the bad: My buddy broke the hasp on the back while moving it (don't pick stuff up by the hasp) and so I replaced it with a proper heavy duty cast stainless steel marine hasp--I guess that might actually be good. Some of the Velcro that holds the canvas tent part to the fiberglass has pulled away and needs to be re-glued. It weighs 135 pounds according to the specs--I suspect it's a bit heavier There are a few small scratches and chips from storage.

I have two sets of mounting hardware so you could attach it to four crossbars. I'll also include the, brand new, collapsible ladder that fits in the tent box. I got it for a great price when the company was going under and I'm selling it for even less--just trying to simplify.

This is from the company sales stuff:
ON TOP tent will always provide a good night’s sleep — anywhere, and in any weather. ON TOP tents are warm and dry, up and away from water, mud, insects, snakes, and other unwelcome intruders, offering unsurpassed comfort and protection from the elements. ON TOP tents are made with the finest materials obtainable, under strict quality control, and proven in years of use under harsh conditions. ON TOP tents deploy in seconds, with very little effort featuring unparalleled ease of transport, set-up, and use. ON TOP tents are supplied ready for use right out of the box—just mount to your standard roof rack cross bars, add bedding, and go! (ON TOP includes foam mattress) ON TOP tent is unique— it is built on an internal sub-frame incorporating insulating foam sandwich construction. The subframe is so strong and light that these tents, unlike other rooftop tents, do not require an expedition basket to support them. They mount directly to standard roof rack cross bars. This insulated design also minimizes condensation under the mattress. ON TOP slim, aerodynamic fiberglass shell is made of durable, high quality fiberglass—laid up by hand in our USA factory. The result is a smooth, washable, easily maintained exterior that will last for many years of hard use. Tough and long-lasting, this design appeals for other reasons—it is dust and waterproof, and offers minimal air resistance while traveling.
IMG_7235.jpg
There are more photos at this link: https://picasaweb.google.com/113957635439084025992/Tent

SOLD!

Last edited:

ChrisKul

It does have screens. The one for the main, or rear, opening rolls up along the roof so you can't see it in the photos. The side opening screens are rolled up along the front of the door flap.

ChrisKul

The top is roughly 57" wide and 91" long. Height is 14" at the back lip. I can't open it at the moment because it's stored vertically, but the sleeping area is about 88" by 55" judging by measuring the bottom. There is full sitting headroom inside. I'm 6'3" and have plenty of room in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC