Round LED Replacement Light Suggestions

Tmacphee

why don't you try using the stock circuit to actuate a relay and run power for the PIAA's direct off the battery. I did this with one of my motorcycles and the output was quite amazing. Enough so that the 9 year old OE bulb was more than enough for general driving.

I have been running the headlights on my jeep this way for a few months now and the difference even with the stock lights was amazing. It might be worth just wiring them straight to the battery temporarily to see what the effect is.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Which ones did you go with? Post your results once you get them installed.
http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/headlights/model-6045-45-round-led-fog-light.pdf
http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/headlights/model-8700-evolution-7-round-par-56-led-headlight

I was dealing directly with Jason Speaker at the factory and I'm noticing now that he spec'd the 6045 when I think we need the 6145. I just emailed him.
I can mount the 8700s for now anyhow. That will give me more time to borrow an o-scope and 'scope the foglight circuit. I've been curious to see if that circuit is PWM'd and, if so, record the duty cycle.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
cool. let me know. I know of people who installed hid into their fogs and got flicker and weird issues so I figure they are pwm. Have you looked at the piaa LED fog that is made for the jk bumper? any experience with those?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
cool. let me know. I know of people who installed hid into their fogs and got flicker and weird issues so I figure they are pwm. Have you looked at the piaa LED fog that is made for the jk bumper? any experience with those?
PIAA is known for making high-priced low-performance light-shaped toys. The only reason I'd ever consider a PIAA product is if nothing else would fit at all.
And HID in fogs? No such animal unless you retrofitted one of the Hella projectors ---- but then it wouldn't be a fog, would it?
One of the electrical engineers that I work with is a PWM expert. When the Speaker foglights arrive, I'll have him stop by the lab and we can scope the Jeep. He loves figuring things like this out. And I had cobbled together a PWM-beater a couple of years ago and I think I put the set on a shelf in my garage; shouldn't be hard to adapt it to the foglights.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
For the most part I agree on the PIAA. as well, Retrofitting hid into any jeep light is horrible. I was talking about people putting hid bulbs in the stock jeep housing in the bumper. Horrible light, spread and most people use the stupid blue lights not yellow. I was asking if the piaa is better than the stock fog, I like the look of them better than the speaker light as they look like my truck lites. If they throw a better beam of light than stock im cool with it. its only for extra illumination in front of the rig in the night. I have hella 430 Yellow fog lights connected to the factory switch as well as a switch on my dash for really foggy/crappy weather, they work awesome. on a clear night you can barely see them, but when the fog/snow/sleet hits, they light up right where you need and want, plus add extra light to the sides to see the huge brown speed bumps known as moose.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Rather than the PIAA, why not try the Pilots?

The stock foglights do what foglights are supposed to do; they fill in a bit of light between your bumper and the start of the headlight beam. They're just for atrocious weather so that you can pick out the lines on the road.
Will the PIAAs work better than the stockers? Probably not as a true foglight.

I just pinged an old friend that makes racecar and motorcycle lighting. He and I were chatting a couple of years ago and he was thinking of making a replacement LED product for the JK foglights; not sure if he ever did or not. It wouldn't be a legit foglight either.

t-rex grrr

Adventurer
Have you considered a HID conversion for your PIAAs? Below is a comparison after I did the conversion - Left = PIAA 510 Ion halogens, Right = 3000K HID

SuWQiIV.jpg

lcsodiver

Adventurer
How come it would not be a True fog light. Is'nt it about the beam shape?

The reason, if I remember correctly, is that a halogen bulb has the filament in a vertical orientation (if you hold the bulb upright) where as on a HID the arc would be horizontal. If the reflector is not designed for that the pattern will be VERY different. Hence the reason that the little rice burner cars that people have converted to HID have very bad glare for oncoming drivers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal