Rover Classic, which year or model is best?

I have had a bunch of these. My favorite was a black 93 lwb. It had abs and 24spline axles, arb winch bumper, 3 inch lift with 255 85 16's. I have converted several bw's to lt 230's but never had to do the job on that truck. Better power and actually got better mpg than my 89 with 3.9. The 93 countys had the ADS stereo with adjustable subwoofer although I guess alot of these are old enough that speaker cones are probably toast. Good times those were.

Last edited:

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I was once told by a Land Rover Exec that the RRC SWB was the best (and most capable) ever built by Land Rover.
I have owned a 93 and an 89. The 89 was my favorite, but do walk into this with eyes wide open. Windows that may or may not work (depending on their mood). Sun roof- Just don't open it.
Be prepared to replace fuel pump about every 3 years, and water pump about every other year.
Find a well maintained and rust free truck.

Remember- a Land Rover is like adding another mouth to feed in the family. But, you'll also grow to love it like it is part of the family.
D

Snagger

Explorer
I have a 1995 RRC Vogue (not SE). Coil sprung, cloth interior (no seat electronics), 300Tdi and R380 manual transmission, with no leaky sun roof. The electronics are limited to the alarm/immobiliser, SRS, and ABS/ETC (ETC on rear axle only). I have a plug-in module to bypass the alarm/immobiliser if that fails at an awkward time, but the other systems are not critical if they fail; the brakes will still work normally without the ABS and the SRS was an addition to the soft dash but nor a requirement.

It has done 190,000 miles and is still on its original entire transmission. The front diff pinion bearings have a little play and the CV joints and prop shaft UJs/rotoflex were replaced, but that's it. The BW viscous unit is still working perfectly.

The heater is excellent. I'll be adding AC from a 300Tdi DI, identical to the RRC Vogue SE's.

As a standard length RRC, rear leg room is a little limited when the front seats are all the way back (I need them back as I'm 6'), but load space is adequate. The LSE (LWB) has much more leg room for second row passengers, but at a lot more cost, parts replacement difficulty and at the cost of a lot of manoeuvrability.

As said previously, though, condition is the most important issue with buying any old vehicle, not age, mileage or spec.

apexcamper

Carefully scripted chaos
ok, not technically aware here, so help me out please.

I have a '94 RRC LWB and it seems to have a locking center diff, the one with the H pattern. Forward to back is low, neut, high and left to right is locked or not

Since it is a 1994, is this the BW t-case...since I am running without a front drive shaft right now, and it seems to drive fine (locked) is that the LT230.

When I bought it, the air bag suspension had been removed and springs put in, but the guy I bought it from was not an off roader at all. It seems unlikely he would have swapped T-cases.

Not trying to hijack the thread...1994 is the best year for RRC...but that is only my opinion because I have a '94

David Harris

Expedition Leader
ok, not technically aware here, so help me out please.

I have a '94 RRC LWB and it seems to have a locking center diff, the one with the H pattern. Forward to back is low, neut, high and left to right is locked or not

Since it is a 1994, is this the BW t-case...since I am running without a front drive shaft right now, and it seems to drive fine (locked) is that the LT230.

When I bought it, the air bag suspension had been removed and springs put in, but the guy I bought it from was not an off roader at all. It seems unlikely he would have swapped T-cases.

Not trying to hijack the thread...1994 is the best year for RRC...but that is only my opinion because I have a '94

From your description you have an LT230. This must be a transplant, as the BW would have been original equipment. It must also be locked now, since you wouldn't be able to drive with the front driveshaft out otherwise. BTW, you can also drive on the BW without a front or rear driveshaft as the viscous will lock up automatically in that case. I've done it on mine with the BW and it works fine that way, though I myself wouldn't do it for extended periods.

David

Last edited:

apexcamper

Carefully scripted chaos
@oryxexpeditions: David, thanx for the info, and OUCH, I may have done something bad. So as not to hijack this thread I am going to start a new one labeled "RRC T-case". Please read and advise

DoKarider16

Observer
I am newer to the whole Ranger Rover game, but have owned two in the last couple of years. It really depends on how you want to use it. If you really want to use it off road you could save yourself a lot of money by looking for one set up the way you want ahead of time. If you are looking for a good road going snow rig a fairly stock Rover with the Borg Warner transfer case can be great. I had a 91 short wheel base and now have a 93 long wheel base with a TDI and LT230 in it. The extra room in the LWB is nice for the kids but it really does affect the turning radius greatly. Which ever you get I would look for one with a good service history above all else. You can find some really inexpensive RRC's right now, but just a few key problems and you can easily be up to the cost of rig in better condition.

Everybody will tell you that the LT230 transfer case is way better than the Borg Warner, and for maximum traction it probably is, but the you can get amazing places with just the Borg Warner and in some ways I feel it may be better in the snow and ice than the LT230.

The whole family loves the new Rover. You will be tinkering with things, but mine have been fairly reliable.

Good luck,
Craig

ArmyRover

Adventurer
91 Hunter Edition, no power seats, no abs, no sunroof. Hands down winner to me, of course I might be biased. :D

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
91 Hunter Edition, no power seats, no abs, no sunroof. Hands down winner to me, of course I might be biased. :D

x2

I have an 89 RRC, but have pretty much made all the changes to make it a Hunter. If you can find a Hunter go that route.

Charo

Observer
I have a 91 and it has most of the common issues mentioned: heater core failure, windows that work when they want to and a sunroof now sealed with silicone. Other than those little things it's pretty good mechanically. At 230,000 now it needs a distributor and steering box but still gets the job done!

Funrover

Expedition Leader
I have a 1989. Many consider that the best year. 3.9 motor, no abs, has the BW but I have switched to LT230. Far fewer electronics than later models. As you know, maybe look in AZ and CO for good, dry, rust free ones. I guess Utah salts their roads :)

:Wow1::Wow1: So beautiful. I have not seen that Rover around, would have remembered it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp