rovingowl's mild taco build

rovingowl

Observer
rovingowl's mild tacoma build

hello all. i decided to start a build thread to highlight some of the mods to my '07 tacoma. for a little background, i'm a frame to finish carpenter and this will be my dd as well. it will haul the tools for the trade and double as transport for camping and advenure travel. last year my girlfriend and i traveled in a large clockwise fashion from vermont south, throughout the southwest, up the west coast and headed back across the northern part of the u.s. we used her subaru outback wagon, as i didn't feel my '93 toyota xtracab was up to the task. having since traded it for the '07, we're next planning a trip through canada to alaska and back through the northern u.s. this rig won't see the extreme wheeling that some of you guys do, but i want to set up the taco to be as adventure worthy as possible without sarificing dependability.

being the frugal fella that i am, i opted for the base model with the v6 and automatic. i'm not a fan of all the power options and the only interests in the trd package were the locker and skid plates. i figured an arb locker and better than factory skids could be added later for less than the cost of the trd. the first addition was the leer canopy. it allows for lockable weather tight storage of both tools and gear. i like the cab high models personally. i also went with standard sliding side windows. this may be a downside if i add a rear bumper with a swingout tire carrier, but i deal with that when the time comes. i did get the thule roof bars and tracker system and am pleased so far.

IMG_2128.jpg
[/IMG]

next came tires. i've never been a fan of big wide tires, and after reading alot of info here i decided on 235/85/16s. this size allows for more ground clearance, fits the stock size wheel, and also fits in to the factory spare location. i have no rubbing issues and may possibly save a bit of wear and tear on steering, braking, and driveline components.

i was having a tough time deciding between the cooper s/t and the bfgoodrich a/t. after alot of questions, research, and thought i went with the bfgs. they are tried and true for me personally, and i feel will wear slower in the long run (more mileage). the coopers also have a much lower speed rating which did have me a bit concerned. although my truck rarely sees speeds over their 87mph rating (especially sustained), i feel the bfgs may offer a slight bit more safety at higher speeds. another factor was pricing as i was able to get a set of the bfgs at last years pricing which was actually less than the coopers.

i also wanted different wheels, preferably black steel. all of the after market options seem to come at different back spacing and are mostly in a 16x8. i wanted to keep the 7" width for the 235 tires and also wanted factory backspacing for clearance concerns. i've always liked the spare wheel look, so decided to purchase four from my dealer. some people have mentioned checking junk yards for spares, but i had no luck. the spare wheels were $78 each from my dealer. listed at $109 i recieved a slight discount. the interesting thing to note for anyone considering this wheel option is this- the tpms sensors from the 5 spoke styled steel wheels do not fit the spare wheels. the valve stem mounting angle is different and therefor a different sensor is required. the valve stem/sensor is about $115 each from the dealer. not wanting to pay another $400+ for valve stems i worked out a trade with my dealer. they mounted and blanced my new tires on the black steelies with the correct valve stem/sensors and in return they kept my original 5 spokes steelies and valve stems. not bad.

IMG_2157.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_2156.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_2159.jpg
[/IMG]

so far so good. i always carry the usual recovery gear. high-lift with winching gear, a 2 ton more power puller, strap, axe shovel, etc. i always have emergency gear and first aid supplies as well.

i'm still trying to decide what's next on the list. i'm thinking i'll keep the suspension stock for now (had the tsb done). possibly may go to saw2.0s and either an aal or dakar spring pack later. adding a bumper and winch up front, a bumper and more gear including sleeping accomodations in the rear will be the determining factor for the suspension. i like the lower center of gravity and want to keep it as stock as possible for maitenance/wear and tear reasons.

ideas for the future include lights, arb rear locker, sliders, skids, front and rear bumpers with a winch in front.

any suggestions are always welcome.

Last edited:

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Nice truck. I really really like the black fender flares. It seems like after the current generation 4runner sold poorly in 03 with the black flares Toyota thought the tacoma wouldn't sell well with the black flares so there aren't too many.
Better for you, makes yours more unique.
:D :D :D :safari-rig:

richard cabesa

Adventurer
SOAZ said:
Nice truck. I really really like the black fender flares. It seems like after the current generation 4runner sold poorly in 03 with the black flares Toyota thought the tacoma wouldn't sell well with the black flares so there aren't too many.
Better for you, makes yours more unique.
:D :D :D :safari-rig:

I like them too. If mine ever get torn up, I'll replace them in black.

I'm tempted to paint them black right now.

rovingowl said:
the first addition was the leer canopy. it allows for lockable weather tight storage of both tools and gear. i like the cab high models personally. i also went with standard sliding side windows. this may be a downside if i add a rear bumper with a swingout tire carrier, but i deal with that when the time comes. i did get the thule roof bars and tracker system and am pleased so far.

I have the same canopy as you. I do like the flush look much better then the the old man canopy look. The dow side is that I put a rear swing out bumper on and not having windoors is a MAJOR pain in the butt. Also I am starting to have problems with leaking around the windows.

The tracker system is great by the way. Anyway, great looking truck and the spare wheels look great.

Last edited:

rovingowl

Observer
streaker, how much leaking have you noticed? i noticed some wet areas inside the bed yesterday. i think some of it is coming in through the windows, but i also saw some water around a few of the nuts where the tracks are bolted through the top. i have to get to the dealer where i bought it this week and see what they say about it.

rovingowl said:
streaker, how much leaking have you noticed? i noticed some wet areas inside the bed yesterday. i think some of it is coming in through the windows, but i also saw some water around a few of the nuts where the tracks are bolted through the top. i have to get to the dealer where i bought it this week and see what they say about it.

It was not bad at first, but now it has gotten to the point where if something is on the bed floor and not in a water tight container it will get wet. From what I have seen it is coming mostly from the windows, but I have not investigated to see if it is coming from the track bolts. In this freaking Eugene rain I almost always have a couple puddles of water rolling around back there. I had to throw a backpack out due to some really bad mold that formed within a week.

I unfortunately can't get any warranty work done because I voided it when after a week I traded in the 4 banger radiant red Tacoma for almost the same model but a V6. Kind of sucks, I even had the same dealer switch it, but even that voided the warranty.

When I get a chance I too will run down to the dealer and see when they can do, but I will have to shell out $$$$

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I have a few water drips coming in around the windoors, seems to be mostly coming from the handles.

I took the topper off the other night to put some Lexel caulk around the bottom to help with leaks. (The topper is surprisingly heavy with the rack on top) No rain yet, so I am not sure if it helped.

Overland Hadley said:
I have a few water drips coming in around the windoors, seems to be mostly coming from the handles.

I took the topper off the other night to put some Lexel caulk around the bottom to help with leaks. (The topper is surprisingly heavy with the rack on top) No rain yet, so I am not sure if it helped.

I think the windoors might be better with leaks then our sliding ones. No professional knowledge on that, just it seems there are less people have problems.

I will look it doing that, but I am not capable of doing that here. I guess I have to pay someone:smilies27 .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy