RRT for LR4

BrucesBenz

Hey y’all!
This will likely be the first of a few posts I make as I prepare for my first overland trip.
I purchased a 2011 LR4 that already came with a roof rack, now I’m looking for a rooftop tent. I will be traveling with 3 people so it’s impossible to all sleep in the car, and it also means we can’t use a compact RTT. I’m curious what y’all’s thoughts are on how a CVT MT Denali, a Smittybilt XL or Roam Vagabond XL, all weighing near 200lbs will affect the MPG, Wind Noise and Handling.
My rover is stock other than 255-60R19 tires which fit with no modifications. The comfort of one of these large tents would be valuable to me and my group, but I don’t want our off roading ability or our highway driving to heavily compromised.

gabrielef

Hi there! Which roof rack are you mounting to?

I had a CVT Mt Denali Expedition and now I have the Mt Denali Hybrid. It easily sleeps 3 and really can sleep up to 2 adults and three small kids.

As far as MPG’s et al, it’ll for sure take a bit of a hit but it’s not horrible. Maybe 1 to 2 MPG’s. 70 mph is the sweet spot but I’ve done over 80. It probably affects my LR3 more than my 2016 LR4, but I’ve yet to try the tent on my 2013 LR4. That powerful V8 should in theory carry the weight better with less effort.

Handling changes a bit as you’ll get a bit of sway in turns but it’s not dangerous unless you’re driving like you’re in an F1 race. I’ve never really been concerned about being too heavy in technical terrain because I really don’t get into that type of wheeling in these. There have been some sketch terrain with off camber tracks, but the air suspension really does an amazing job with all the weight.

Lastly, depending on which rack you have will determine your noise level. I have a Front Runner on the LR3 without the wind deflector and it’s a tad louder than the Voyager Rack Low Profile Contractors Edition with the molded wind fairing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrucesBenz

I don’t know the brand of my roof rack. I’m going to remove the upper bars so that the tent is about 4 inches above the roof rather than 10. It’s good know that yours has only cost you a couple mpg, I plan to drive 65 as it’s much more efficient as far as I can tell.

What do you mean by heavy terrain? I’m doing some trails in Colorado, the most challenging will be Imogene pass which is considered difficult. Would this be a trail you’d attempt in one of your LR4s?

gabrielef

I don’t know the brand of my roof rack. I’m going to remove the upper bars so that the tent is about 4 inches above the roof rather than 10. It’s good know that yours has only cost you a couple mpg, I plan to drive 65 as it’s much more efficient as far as I can tell.

What do you mean by heavy terrain? I’m doing some trails in Colorado, the most challenging will be Imogene pass which is considered difficult. Would this be a trail you’d attempt in one of your LR4s?

Imogene is not bad, I did it in my LR3 with my CVT Denali on top. I started from the Ouray side and dropped into Telluride, but you can do it the other way too. I did that direction with a tent on that trip.

Heavy terrain to me is bigger chunky rocks that you don’t necessarily need sliders for, but you have to navigate over/around. Plus the track has steep inclines or declines, off camber, and slow progress.

Post a pic of your rack and I can tell you what it is.

BrucesBenz

Imogene is not bad, I did it in my LR3 with my CVT Denali on top. I started from the Ouray side and dropped into Telluride, but you can do it the other way too. I did that direction with a tent on that trip.

Heavy terrain to me is bigger chunky rocks that you don’t necessarily need sliders for, but you have to navigate over/around. Plus the track has steep inclines or declines, off camber, and slow progress.

Post a pic of your rack and I can tell you what it is.

Here is the rack! I just bought an Eezi-Awn Series 3 1800mm. I am wanting to remove the top portion of the rack as it seems like it would be more stable to mount. Not to mention the benefits to efficiency and performance with the lower center of gravity. I can’t figure out how to remove these small clips or pins pictured.

Thoughts?
7947EBC1-D472-41DB-A546-20B414250E68.jpeg
2549ACBE-851A-44E1-B02B-A0ABF0A71331.jpeg
F53E18E8-D0F3-4D53-868C-9669920CD588.jpeg

gabrielef

Those are structural and permanent. They need to be drilled out. To make that OEM rack work, you’ll need to chop it. I’ve seen others do that to make a platform.

Part of me recommends finding a used Front Runner and using that instead.

BrucesBenz

Those are structural and permanent. They need to be drilled out. To make that OEM rack work, you’ll need to chop it. I’ve seen others do that to make a platform.

Part of me recommends finding a used Front Runner and using that instead.

I think it’ll be easier to just modify this one. Trying to be careful with spending on the best things, buying a car and all the equipment makes for an expensive trip. After taking off one of the covers I can see there looks like a hex bolt that can be removed so that the top portion will unbolt. Thank you for the advice!

I'll add to this. I had this rack and I did chop mine. If you have a standard tent that opens to the side, you can fit 2-3 person tent on the rack and chop everything behind the wind fairing and its perfect and keeps your MPGs up. The rest will have to be drilled out. Also, you should go to home depot and get rubber grommets to cover the area where you cut the top rail off. its sharp.

BrucesBenz

I removed the entire top of it! Came off relatively easy with no cutting at all. I’m happy with how it looks now. About to get the tent mounted and then I’ll send pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach