RTT advice needed!

Jp90Talon

Adventurer
I am pretty new to this and was hoping to get some advice. I am sure that this has been beaten to death and I have read through a ton of threads but I was hoping to gather the info into one thread.

I own an 05 LJ Rubicon owner and frequentely take it on off roading/camping trips. To cut down on the amount of gear I have to lug around in the Jeep and increase my comfort level when sleeping I decided to build an off road trailer with RTT. I just picked up a M416 trailer as a starting platform and I am now shopping around for a RTT. After days of searching I have pretty much narrowed it down to the ARB series III or the car top camper private entry tent (links below). They look pretty much identical minus price.

Once again I am sorry to beat a dead horse but any adive is appreciated!

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Series-III-Simpson-Rooftop-Tent-ARB3101US-P3658.aspx

http://cartopcamper.com/index_files/Private_Entry_2_Person_Roof_Top_Tent.htm

compactcamping

Explorer
IMHO, on a trailer, the covered entry style tent units aren't than easy to get in and out of. On a M416 your tent will be around 4' off the ground, that mean you'll have to bend down to 4' so you can get under the covered entry.

Jp90Talon

Adventurer
IMHO, on a trailer, the covered entry style tent units aren't than easy to get in and out of. On a M416 your tent will be around 4' off the ground, that mean you'll have to bend down to 4' so you can get under the covered entry.

Thats a good point and I prob should have mentioned that I plan on making the frame that the tent mounts to adjustable so that it is in a low position for travel but I can raise it when I set it up..

So any other feedback guys? >60 views and only one response?

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Thats a good point and I prob should have mentioned that I plan on making the frame that the tent mounts to adjustable so that it is in a low position for travel but I can raise it when I set it up..

So, I'm kinda slow and don't get it. Why would you want to do that?

Also if you want us to give you more advice, we need more to go on, both the tents you mention are good, are you looking for something better?

Eventhough

Explorer
The Overland version by Car Top Tent (aka Mombasa) that you are looking at is a good tent. I have one on top of my FJ Cruiser and love it. The covered area gives you some shelter getting in and out of the RTT. It's fairly affordable too compared to other options. You can save $100 and go without the overhang, and save another $100 and go without the poly-cotton fabric but the Overland version with poly-cotton fabric is a very good choice.

I also really like the hard shell Maggiolina but it is more spendy.

The ARB looks very similar to the Mombasa but the Simpson III version has a few upgrades and costs a little more.

I'd also be fine mounting an RTT lower. Just gotta duck a bit to get under the overhang.

jdholder

Explorer
I have a tent with a covered entrance and "room" addition. I am in process of having my fabricator build an adjustable height rack so the room, which is normally designed to function with the RTT on the roof of a truck, is functional.

The tent is mounted on an AT Chaser trailer. I bought the tent with the room add on to entice my girls to come camping with me. They wanted a stand up location where they could get ready for bed at night and get ready in the morning before emerging.

I'm looking forward to how it comes out and will post pictures.

I've had the Autohome Overland tent without the room and while it's fine for us boys, it didn't pass muster with the girls. I think I will enjoy the room also as a place to get out of the elements to take my shoes off, etc.

Jp90Talon

Adventurer
So, I'm kinda slow and don't get it. Why would you want to do that?

Also if you want us to give you more advice, we need more to go on, both the tents you mention are good, are you looking for something better?

I was thinking about the adjustable rack for the same reasons JDholder listed. I plan on having the lower room attachment to add more space and also make it easier (not have to duck) to get in and out of those designs.

My over all goal is to have a decent off road camper on a small budget. I picked up the trailer for $900 and trying to keep the entire build around $2500. Its main function will be to stow away my gear and a place to sleep off the ground for my weekend off roading trips. I have looked through dozens of trailer builds and they are amazing and most are way above and beyond my goals. I really liked the design of the two tents I posted up esp the fact that they have a private entry as well as potential for a complete "down stairs" area. I was kinda hoping for feedback from anyone that has any experience with either of them. Or people that possibly picked a diferent option in that same price range and why the decided to go that route instead.

Thanks again for all the replies and advice so far.

CIFA22

My wife and I just bought a roof top tent from Bobby at Cascadia Roof Top Tents. The quality is excellent as it is built in the same exact factory as the ARB tent. The tent can be mounted on virtually any roof top rack. They have one without the overhand - Mt. Bachelor or the overhang unit -Mt. Shasta. We bought the Mt. Shasta as it's going on top of our FJ40, along with the
Annex.

Bobby's a great guy, very knowledgeable and goes way above and beyond with his service. I recently met him at a Sportsman's Show, saw both units up close and made the decision without hesitation. I live within 15 miles of the ARB headquarters in Renton, Washington and have seen the ARB III up close. The quality is identical.

http://www.cascadiatents.com/

Good luck to you!!

Nice work cifa. I just picked up the ARB last weekend in Renton, haven't even opened the box yet. I will be putting mine on a tacoma double cab, and probably won't use it until April at the Desert 100 off road race. I will try and get some picks and a report going.:bike_rider:

Jp90Talon

Adventurer
Well finally brought it home today....its going to be a long slow build but its pretty solid and already has 3" lift and 35x12.5's. (Sorry for the bad pics but just got in and its dark)

100_1855.jpg

100_1850.jpg

100_1852.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online