RTT and Roof Rack Pictures Wanted

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con

7 foot African Outback rack with 1600 Eeza Awn RTT. Enough room to load four or more jerry cans on the roof rack.

roof top tent.jpgRooftop tent.jpg

mph

Expedition Leader
mph - Did you end up getting the Baja/ARB Simpson set up? I'm looking for the exact same, and wondered how it's been working out. Most likely be buying from cruiser outfitters, since they're local.

BTW...Kurt will treat you right! I have done a lot of business with him and you won't be disappointed. You will have to let me know what you decide:)

phsycle

Adventurer
LMK, I've got a few of the new Simpson IIIC tents in stock and always have the tent on my Tacoma if you want to check it out in person.

I know that the dimensions are 55x94, but what would you say the actual usable space is in the tent? I've got a family of 3 for now (wife, 2 year old), but will probably have another kid soon. Just wanted to make sure it will fit a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids).

BTW, I've seen your Tacoma at the Sandy Costco in occasion. Nice truck.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I know that the dimensions are 55x94, but what would you say the actual usable space is in the tent? I've got a family of 3 for now (wife, 2 year old), but will probably have another kid soon. Just wanted to make sure it will fit a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids).

55" x 85"? You don't lose any usable room on the width and very little on the ends where the slope is. I've done 2 adults, one teen and a 100lb dog, it was tight but manageable for a weekend. I think two adults and two kids would be easy enough. Your welcome to bring over the fam and test drive it :D

BTW, I've seen your Tacoma at the Sandy Costco in occasion. Nice truck.

Thanks!

phsycle

Adventurer
55" x 85"? You don't lose any usable room on the width and very little on the ends where the slope is. I've done 2 adults, one teen and a 100lb dog, it was tight but manageable for a weekend. I think two adults and two kids would be easy enough. Your welcome to bring over the fam and test drive it :D

Thanks for the insight. We will have to come check out the tent.

Regarding the roof rack, I see that you carry ARB racks. Are there any pros/cons of the ARB's vs. Baja racks? It looks like the prices are about the same (~$700). Aside from strength/durability/utility, I'm looking for something with the lowest clearance/profile.

mph: Sorry for the hijack.

nakman

You should definitely give Kurt all your money, that's a good first response to just about everything. However one state to the right we've finally got our all-flat rack in production.. just to give you one more option to consider. I have no idea which is lowest.. this one is pretty low though, I'll run out and measure.

flatrack_100_4.jpg
flatrack_100_3.jpg

they are UNFINISHED, but I could get one powder coated for you.. or rattle can it yourself for $20 and save your money for a RTT from Cruiseroutfit.

more pics at: http://www.gamiviti.com/html/products_roofracks.html#anchor_flatrack and http://www.gamiviti.com/html/products_rackinstalls.html And we're headed to Utah for a trip in November, though down south so not sure if that's convenient for a hookup or not (Devil's Kitchen, Hite, Doll House). send me an email from the web the site if you want to chat more about it.

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
Wow..looks like a nice rack. Just curious...do the bars except Yakima products? It looks like they are round bars...Thanks

You should definitely give Kurt all your money, that's a good first response to just about everything. However one state to the right we've finally got our all-flat rack in production.. just to give you one more option to consider. I have no idea which is lowest.. this one is pretty low though, I'll run out and measure.

flatrack_100_4.jpg
flatrack_100_3.jpg

they are UNFINISHED, but I could get one powder coated for you.. or rattle can it yourself for $20 and save your money for a RTT from Cruiseroutfit.

more pics at: http://www.gamiviti.com/html/products_roofracks.html#anchor_flatrack and http://www.gamiviti.com/html/products_rackinstalls.html And we're headed to Utah for a trip in November, though down south so not sure if that's convenient for a hookup or not (Devil's Kitchen, Hite, Doll House). send me an email from the web the site if you want to chat more about it.

nakman

Wow..looks like a nice rack. Just curious...do the bars except Yakima products? It looks like they are round bars...Thanks

For the most part, yes, and that was one of the design intents. They are 1" round bars. Yakima uses 1 1/8" round bars.. so a lot of accessories will just bolt right up, as there is travel in the clamps. For others, you can insert a shim to take up the gap- small piece of rubber, or a slit piece of sprinkler line works really well. Only accessories that don't work are ones where you need it to fall between the cross bars for long distances, so some of the bike racks wouldn't work so hot, just depends on what you have. I'm currently running a front fairing on mine, which did a great job on wind noise.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Not a LC but equally long roof rack

I disconected the ends of the roof rails -slid in some 1" stock bar and had a custom rack built

DSC_0155.jpg

front a wind fairing and behind an open box to fill with gear

peewhy

SouthForkKern.jpg

DSC_2559-1.jpg

DSC_0275.jpg

Old Mombasa 1st Gen RTT. Opens up to roughly the size of a king size bed, but no room for anything else up on the roof... To be honest, I'm not sure if I'd want anything else up there..

Where was 1 and 2 picture taken at? amazing..

ScottyDog

Adventurer
Where was 1 and 2 picture taken at? amazing..

If I tell you, I'll have to... JK.. That's the South Fork of the Kern River @ Monache Meadows. I'm hoping to get back up there again this year before I pack up and move to Arizona. I know they just recently got snow up there and the area is usually closed in the winter. But we haven't had that much rain/snow so hopefully it will open early this year... granted we don't get much more precipitation.

REDROVER

Explorer
not on toyota but roof rack as large as it gets with the tent

Attachments

• 2011-12-31_08-44-44_750.jpg
    2011-12-31_08-44-44_750.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 2011-12-31_08-44-15_623.jpg
    2011-12-31_08-44-15_623.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 2011-12-31_08-45-33_57.jpg
    2011-12-31_08-45-33_57.jpg