RTT mattress replacement

Enigma

Observer
I've got an old clam shell style RTT of some Chinese knock off. It's held up fairly well being 15+ years old, but I had to toss the crappy foam mattress finally as it was ripped and some rats decided to eat part of it. So what is a nice replacement to get some comfortable sleep? The tent dimensions, when unfolded, are 55" x 94".

The Hest Dually RTT from all the reviews seems to be the best of the best, but that price tag of $750 USD (I'm Canadian) seems totally ridiculous. Currently out of stock it seems as well, and they don't ship to Canada apparently either.

The next one that seems to get a lot of great reviews is the Exped Megamat Duo 10LW+. Self inflating air mattress with memory foam. Anyone have one? How well do they take the repeated folding/unfolding? Are they relatively quick to deflate?

Any other suggestions for a mattress?

IMG_20150613_203539.jpg

laxtoy

Adventurer
I’ve used an Exped for about the last 7-8 years, it’s nice for the ability to fine tune the pressure, but it definitely helps to have the roof top tent mattress down as well. I’ve tried to use it as a stand alone mattress and it still feels a little thin, where my shoulder/elbow/knee bottoms out, when deflated enough to feel comfortable, but that may just be me and the fact I’m getting older.

The biggest issue is having to deflate it completely when breaking down, though may not be an issue if you’re using it as a standalone. The tent foam pad, sleeping bags and the incompletely deflated megamat is too much to get the tent closed properly

Enigma

Observer
I’ve used an Exped for about the last 7-8 years, it’s nice for the ability to fine tune the pressure, but it definitely helps to have the roof top tent mattress down as well. I’ve tried to use it as a stand alone mattress and it still feels a little thin, where my shoulder/elbow/knee bottoms out, when deflated enough to feel comfortable, but that may just be me and the fact I’m getting older.

The biggest issue is having to deflate it completely when breaking down, though may not be an issue if you’re using it as a standalone. The tent foam pad, sleeping bags and the incompletely deflated megamat is too much to get the tent closed properly
So you use the Exped AND a foam mattress? I'm hoping to use just one medium. The old set up had the OEM 2-3" foamie and we added another foam topper above it. It helped for sure, but was still on the thin side.

laxtoy

Adventurer
Yes, we use both. If you got along with just the tent foam I think you’d be good with the Exped instead of. The Expeds are pretty widely regarded as one of the best mattresses you can get. Hopefully others will chime in

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Im completely happy with the thinner Exped replacing my foam. I think it is the 7.5 vs 10 CM? Ive never looked back.

Enigma

Observer
Ordered a Exped Megamat Duo 10 LW+ (try saying that 10 times fast!).. hope its as good as all the reviews seem to say

86scotty

Cynic
Agreed. Another satisfied Exped customer here. Just pulled the brand new bed cushions out of a freshly converted interior in favor of the Exped.

JackW

Explorer
I've got two Exped mattresses and they are by far the best air mattresses I've used in over 60 years of camping. I've got a a little rechargeable Giga Pump that can be used to quickly inflate and deflate the air mattress.

Enigma

Observer
I've got two Exped mattresses and they are by far the best air mattresses I've used in over 60 years of camping. I've got a a little rechargeable Giga Pump that can be used to quickly inflate and deflate the air mattress.
wow, those pumps are tiny! Nice find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater