RTT recomendations?

billsbet0

Noob here, sorry for the interruption and I am sure repeat question.

Curious if there is a consensuses on a RTT, or maybe pros and cons based on your experiences? Early planing stages on building a expo trailer out of a M101a3. Live in So Cal. Plan on trips with wife and 2 boys ages 8 and 11. Oh, limited funds too. Did I mention wife and 2 boys? What about daughter in college...

Love the ideas and enthusiasm on this website. Thanks for both, helps keep me going.

Bill

I'd have to say limited funds is not going to help you out much. Do you want everyone in the RTT or will the boys be happy in a little tent to themselves? With an annex they could have cots underneath you and still be really close by, but you may need an elevated platform though. That way you could look into the smaller RTT's to save a good deal of money. If you haven't bought the trailer yet look at the jumping jack trailers. They could probably fit everyone. As far as RTT you'd need a pretty large one for everyone to be comfortable.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
This is my delema too, I have a 101A2 with rack and I so want a RTT but the cost for the size I need
is more than what I have in my total build. For now I have two 7 x 7 dome tents to use.
When you find a RTT that will sleep four and not break the bank let me know too.

loup407

Adventurer
I don't know how much help I'll be, but we've had two RTTs on the top of our Horizon. Our first, an EezeAwn 1600 was great. Lots of room for sleeping and sturdy enough to withstand 60 mph winds. For the two of us, it worked well. The only downside was, when opened, the overhanging part was too low to use the space under the tent for anything practical. Living in the Rockies, one can see all four seasons in one weekend and we wanted more sheltered space. We wound up with a much bigger (and more expensive) tent with a large annex. We could easily sleep two "upstairs" and two "downstairs". That said, if funds are limited, even a used Globe Drifter might be out of reach. I've had little experience with other brands, but our EezeAwn tents have been bombproof. I'm a little dubious about how some aspects of the Globe Drifter will stand up over time, but the combination of our Horizon and EezeAwn tent have profoundly changed what we do and where we go on weekends.
FWIW, I'm the oldest of 5 boys, and my parents took us camping almost every weekend. They slept in a camper they bolted to the frame of an F-150, and the rest of us slept in two person tents (when we were old enough). To us, sleeping in the camper was for old people and babies, and we enjoyed having "our own" tents.
Many of the RTT have queen or king sized mattresses, but 4 would be awful cozy. Good luck!

ManleyORV

Rugged. Reliable. Ready.
Check out Tepui Tents. I've researched them all and used several. If your looking for bang for the buck they are hard to beat IMO.

ManleyORV

Rugged. Reliable. Ready.
And I just saw your in SoCal and they are in Santa Cruz so you can even take a drive and check them out in person.

ANDYROO

Adventurer
We have a large Overland RTT and the build quality is excellent....not inexpensive though. (The marketing shows 2 adults and 2 children but it's honestly just the right size for 2 adults and one kid IMO). I am just about to add an awning and side walls so my daughter and her girlfriends can sleep on cots down below. Squeezing 4 people into an RTT seems REALLY cozy.

Good luck finding the right solution.

Attachments

• DSCN1648.JPG
    DSCN1648.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 7

ManleyORV

Rugged. Reliable. Ready.
We have a large Overland RTT and the build quality is excellent....not inexpensive though. (The marketing shows 2 adults and 2 children but it's honestly just the right size for 2 adults and one kid IMO). I am just about to add an awning and side walls so my daughter and her girlfriends can sleep on cots down below. Squeezing 4 people into an RTT seems REALLY cozy.

Good luck finding the right solution.

Dang, I dig that color!

I have used Howling Moon, ARB Simpson, a friends Eezi Awn all heavy canvas SA designs (Hannibal is too). I like these best but they are up there in price. I have an ARB Sumpson and love it but got it with a Front Runner Wind Cheatah rack free in a business deal. In my experience when looking @ tents try some used ones with some wear on them if @ all possible. One of the biggest annoyances with these tents is when the zipper on the cover gets hard to use. This can change a 5-10 min break camp experience to an hour of fussing with a damn zipper....
Sun is hard on zippers.

Once you have owned a rtt sleeping on the ground has little apeal.

Last edited:

billsbet0

Lots to think about - possible group purchase?

Thanks for all the information and suggestions. I have an email out to Tepui to see what their holiday weekend hours are. Also asked if they have any black Friday type sales... never hurts to ask...

It's a 6 hour drive from my house so might go take the boys and go take a look in person. I'm up for a good road trip, put 2500 miles on the car early September springing for hotels along the way.

Yeah, cost is a big issue with these. I really hate sleeping on the ground.

Tepui's web site says they offer a discount if ordering more than 5. Anyone interested in a group purchase?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven