RTT Removal/install

apruitt9

Adventurer
Looking for a relatively easy way to remove and install my rtt by myself. With it on my lc it will not go into the garage, so I want to come up with some sort of rope/pully lift to remove from my lc as needed. Anyone done this? Ideas? Thanks!

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
I was in the same boat as you with no way to keep the RTT on the roof full time. I went the route of building a removable pivoting frame to load and unload the tent onto/off of my JK Wrangler Unlimited Sport. It was way too high to safely lift anf lower on a regular basis.

Here are a couple of photos of the frame with the tent in the midst of loading/unloading and a link to another forum post where more details of my contraption are provided and others pitched their ideas to solve the issue of safely and efficiently loading/unloading a RTT:

944b68327bb0f13aede74693f68dc34c.jpg

a73cc8fd410e9508403c7590a7a66b49.jpg

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1863883

Hope this helps spur some more discussion on this topic and helps you pick a solution.

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AbnMike

Observer
There are quite a few ways, a google search will show some of them. One dude builds an A-frame that can be stored and put together quickly to winch it up.

Mine won't fit in my garage with it on either, which is the only reason I want to sell it.

apruitt9

Adventurer
I was in the same boat as you with no way to keep the RTT on the roof full time. I went the route of building a removable pivoting frame to load and unload the tent onto/off of my JK Wrangler Unlimited Sport. It was way too high to safely lift anf lower on a regular basis.

Here are a couple of photos of the frame with the tent in the midst of loading/unloading and a link to another forum post where more details of my contraption are provided and others pitched their ideas to solve the issue of safely and efficiently loading/unloading a RTT:

944b68327bb0f13aede74693f68dc34c.jpg

a73cc8fd410e9508403c7590a7a66b49.jpg

Hope this helps spur some more discussion on this topic and helps you pick a solution.

Cheers.

Very nice! I'm thinking, been googling and looking, have a couple things I want to try...we will see! Thanks for the info!

AbnMike

Observer
Very nice! I'm thinking, been googling and looking, have a couple things I want to try...we will see! Thanks for the info!

The best way I've found, short of a winch/pulley system in the rafters (which wouldn't work for me or you since we can't get in the garage) is to walk across the street and say "Hey Bob, want to come help me put up/take down the tent again? I got a six pack" and then do it and shoot the crap with your neighbor.

Most other ways are a hernia/thrown out back waiting to happen.

SnoViking

Adventurer
I "extended" a rafter off the side of my house and then supported it with a chain up to the eves. I use a simple rope pulley from harbor freight. I'll snap a few pictures of the setup tomorrow when there's some fresh daylight.

dman93

Adventurer
My RTT is a Tepui Kukenam, lighter than some but not the lightest with mattress and anti-condensation pad. It is mounted on top of my shell and won't fit in the garage to hoist off the rafters. I looked at all the threads about RTT removal, thought about making some support or tip and tilt mechanism, then said what the heck. Loosened the clamps and put some carpet over the rear of the truck, stapled to a 2x4 hooked under my roof rack towers to keep it from getting dislodged, and just slid it off the back and down to the ground. I'm 60 years old, reasonably fit but not very strong, and it was a piece of cake. Took me longer to think about it than to do it. I then just walked it over 15' and leaned it against the side of the garage. I'm pretty sure I can get it back on the same way, but at worst my wife can help steady it and I won't even have to offer her a six pack :)

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
I "extended" a rafter off the side of my house and then supported it with a chain up to the eves. I use a simple rope pulley from harbor freight. I'll snap a few pictures of the setup tomorrow when there's some fresh daylight.
Ah... to have my own garage. Life in a condo sucks when you have an off-road camping addiction and a love affair with a Jeep.

All my gear needs to fit in my 4 ft x 6 ft storage locker . My Tepui Kukenam just fits.
e319226d4e6263b4b72ee238471573d5.jpg

apruitt9

Adventurer
My RTT is a Tepui Kukenam, lighter than some but not the lightest with mattress and anti-condensation pad. It is mounted on top of my shell and won't fit in the garage to hoist off the rafters. I looked at all the threads about RTT removal, thought about making some support or tip and tilt mechanism, then said what the heck. Loosened the clamps and put some carpet over the rear of the truck, stapled to a 2x4 hooked under my roof rack towers to keep it from getting dislodged, and just slid it off the back and down to the ground. I'm 60 years old, reasonably fit but not very strong, and it was a piece of cake. Took me longer to think about it than to do it. I then just walked it over 15' and leaned it against the side of the garage. I'm pretty sure I can get it back on the same way, but at worst my wife can help steady it and I won't even have to offer her a six pack :)
Well, I removed it today, basically the same way you just mentioned ! I unbolted everything, put a thick blanket under it and pulled it too me down on my camping table!! Now, how to get it back up there, its not heavy chest level down but getting it overhead and on the roof...uh..my son son is 12, time for him to start carrying his weight!

apruitt9

Adventurer

Pics please, thanks!

kcabpilot

Observer
Whenever I can I try to make use of or "repurpose" whatever I have laying around, in this case it was two 12 foot 2x10's. When I first mounted the tent I just layed the boards against the roof and slid the tent up onto the rack. Likewise when I removed it I just pulled it off the rack and let it slide down the boards. The tent weighs about 120 pounds. I thought about mounting little casters to the tent mounting rails that would ride on the boards but really it's not necessary. You don't need to overthink this.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161017/944b68327bb0f13aede74693f68dc34c.jpg

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161017/a73cc8fd410e9508403c7590a7a66b49.jpg

Cheers.

I tried something similar with wood a few years back. Needed a bit more on the design aspect, but it worked. I do seriously love yours.

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
I tried something similar with wood a few years back. Needed a bit more on the design aspect, but it worked. I do seriously love yours.
Thank you. Extruded aluminum is Lego for adults and my new best friend. There's so much you can do with basic extruded geometries cut to length and fastened with screws or rivets. One day I'll have facilities to weld aluminum...then the real creativity with start .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk