Rtt Tepui or CVT Rugged or not? Is it worth it?

Droid58

Hey, new to the site, just posted a similar thing in another forum before I saw this one. Anybody have experience witht the Ruggedized tepuis or the summit series of CVT tents? Was wondering if the difference was enough to make it worth the cost.

Droid58

Thanks for the reply. Seems like the ruggedized would alleviate at least some of the wearing on the floor issue since it is capped with aluminum plating. What do you think of anti condensate mats? Do you use one?

1MK

ExploreDesert
2 seasons with my standard Tepui Kukenam. Besides some dented floor panels I haven't had one single problem. It gets used A LOT. It's been through thousands of miles rough dirt roads and it's held up great. At this point if it were to fall apart I wouldn't blame it. A good friend has the ruggedized version and not only does it feel more sturdy, all the floor panels and canvas seems to be a lot beefier. Yet they don't use it nearly as much as my standard one.

Like anything, it comes down to how well you take care of it and paying attention to the small details to keep it in good shape. Don't force it shut. Don't yank on zippers. Make sure the tongue and groove is engage on the floor panels before getting inside. Etc.

vegasjeepguy

Adventurer
After several years with a regular Tepui Kukenam, I "upgraded" to the Kukenam ruggedized XL. While I had no problems with the first tent, the soft aluminum floor was getting some wear from a lot of off-road use. I also have to imagine that being mounted on a trailer subjects the tent to a bit of a rougher ride. The diamond plate floor definitely stands up to more abuse and the heavier fabric withstands the weather better.

Most of my camping destinations are accessible only by trails and unimproved roads so the ruggedized tent should withstand the rigors of the trip better and that seems to be the case so far. Definitely pleased with my decision and the extra room of the XL doesn't hurt.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
I've been using a regular Tepui Kukenam since 2012 and it is in great shape. We do weekends and week long trips spread throughout the year. There are marks, dings and spots, but not anything that is leaky or unstable. Take care of it and it'll do the job. I also store it in the garage and it gets put up dry every time no matter what. We've been through many thunderstorms and the remnants of a hurricane, so it can take it.

Best practices are to avoid dead fall and direct wind channels. Also, don't force the joints or zippers. Just watch what you're doing and don't break it....LOL.

1Louder

Explorer
To confuse the issue you really should look at the new 23 Zero tents. Lots of things included with the tents which others charge extra for.

jkilgore11

Adventurer
We have the ruggedized Kukenam and spent over sixty nights in it last year. In my opinion, the ruggedized is well worth it. My wife felt more stable because the floor didn't flex.

KLT88YJ

Observer
I just picked up a CVT Mt. Rainier. Its the standard version, non Summit Series. I'm very impressed with it! The fabric is thick, durable rip stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven