Rust prevention / bar and chain oil / fiberglass insulation

deezdrama

Adventurer
Got my 02 e350 SD gutted with rigid foam/ plywood/ carpeted floor laid.

Getting ready to start on the walls but before I do - I wanted to spray some bar and chain oil into the empty interior voids so it will seep down into the fenders and prevent rusting out. Then im going to spray into the rocker panels and do the undercarriage. Im just wondering if the oil will pose any issues with the fiberglass insulation im going to stuff in the wall voids after spraying with the bar and chain oil. I dont think the oil would cause any mold on the insulation but just wanted to throw this out there for thoughts on the matter.

Thanks

Joe917

Explorer
Instead of chain oil look for Krown or a similar product. It creeps into crevices and even displaces moisture, It will not harm rubber or plastic.

deezdrama

Adventurer
I was going to use fluid film but have read alot of threads in the past about bar and chain oil working good and its dirt cheap

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Only concern might be the smell of bar and chain oil. Fluid Film is much more "pleasant" in my opinion. Guess it depends on if you are sensitive and where you will be using the vehicle - high temperatures tend to make bigger issues. It will not hurt the fiberglass insulation - but I would consider using mineral wool instead as it has a higher r value and is more dense and less likely to settle.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The Mineral wool insulation also is better for soundproofing and fire resistance. I've used Roxul around the house, and I'd choose it over glass any day.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I've done the DIY waxoyl before - works well if a bit messy. Buy a bunch of wax toilet flanges, freeze them and then grate up. Heat up some chain oil and stir in the wax chips until it is a nice consistent viscous mixture and then have at it.

My personal lesson learned was tell your wife before you put the toilet seals into the freezer as her enthusiasm for your creative problem solving may be a little less than yours. :)

deezdrama

Adventurer
I picked up some bar and chain oil. Too thick to spray from my pump sprayer but managed to get it in along the inside fender areas.
Probably just go with fluid film and a spray gun on the air compressor for the undercarriage

wjeeper

Sounds like a recipe for an oily mess to me! But then again out west we are spoiled with low humidity and not a whole lot of rust. Even being next to the Great Salt Lake!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk