RWD Astro Tiger 4x4 Conversion

beneng_jr

I know the topic has been covered here but I still couldn't quite get the answers I was looking for after searching for a bit, so here goes:

The general consensus is that if you wanna do a 4x4 conversion on an astro that you start with an AWD. Problem is, AWD Tigers are damn near impossible to find. Anyway, I just sold off my 1988 GT and am picking up a 1990 GT in much better cosmetic condition on Friday. Its nice enough that I don't mind (possibly) throwing a little money at it for a 4x4 conversion. I have calls out to Built to Last in Durango and Boulder Off Road Vans (the nearest places to me) for quotes but wanted to see if anyone here has done it to a RWD and had buyers remorse. I pretty know that you have to do a subframe swap, and it sounds like maybe even the whole tranny, but curious to know if i really need to buy a donor AWD van or can get the subframe already pulled and shipped from a junkyard, and if so, if anyone has any resources for finding those junkyards other than cold calling everyone.

It might be a pain, but its not a regular Astro, and I really like the form factor of the Astro Tiger. I live in the mountains in a ski town and my life and work are all based around snowboarding an mtn biking. I have a 4x4 tundra to fall back on when I can't drive the van due to snow storms or be able to reach places on 4x4 roads, but I really fell in love with old tiger and it would be nice to use for snowboard trips or get to the cooler camp spots in Moab that require 4x4. I know a slide-in for the Tundra makes more financial sense, but I prefer the Tigers more spacious layout, captains chairs, pass through, and ability to use it even with the top down. Its a nice mobile office!

beneng_jr

I looked at that one, had more than a few mechanics advise against it since there's no paper trail for who did the conversion. Also, I could tell from the photos that the owner sent me it probably roof leaks and one of the previous owners did a hack job replacing the front lift panel (replaced lift panels are another indication of previous water damage and leaky liner/roof). It also states in the listing that the Tranny is shifting funny. Overall appearance of the vehicle is kind of ratty. Not bad, but if 'm going to throw money at something I want it to look nice too. Having owned two of these lift panel/liner/roof was the biggest concern for me, and this one looks like it needs work in that area.

All in all I think its a cool vehicle and I hope he sells it to someone worthy, I've even sent that link to a bunch of friends, but I would just rather start from scratch with a nicer vehicle modded by a reputable shop like Boulder Off Road. Mine has a brand new liner that was professional installed, good original lift panels, and looks like it rolled off the showroom floor (but sat on it since 1990...).

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
I can't answer any of your specific questions.
But if it were me I would buy a entire awd donor to work with. Around here a couple grand will get you a decent running awd Astro.
Then you can see the condition of the drivetrain rather then trusting junkyard parts with no history. Parting out the donor may even make it less costly then buying piece by piece

Donor below

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5703214689.html

Last edited:

beneng_jr

I can't answer any of your specific questions.
But if it were me I would buy a entire awd donor to work with. Around here a couple grand will get you a decent running awd Astro.
Then you can see the condition of the drivetrain rather then trusting junkyard parts with no history. Parting out the donor may even make it less costly then buying piece by piece

Thanks, def something to consider. I guess the main question is whether or not this can be done pretty reliably. I know it costs more, but its seriously impossible to find an AWD Tiger for sale, and when you do they fetch up to $10k more than a similar condition RWD. So yea, its cheaper to convert the AWD, but the added expense of the vehicle kind of negates it.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Thanks, def something to consider. I guess the main question is whether or not this can be done pretty reliably.
I can't see why not. You are using all oem parts in their intended application. It seems to me if done by a qualified mechanic or someone with a little bit of attention to detail the end result would be just as reliable as factory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179

Members online