Ryan's 07 Duramax LBZ build

locrwln

Expedition Leader
How’d you like it?
I’m still a ways away from loading a camper on the truck, but I may install it just to see how it handles empty.
Kinda wish I got the front Hellwig to replace the factory hollow bar too.
Some folks prefer the way these trucks ride with them and it seems some hate it.

I don’t remember the part number, but it did help. Mine wasn’t the stiffest version they sell; Mike knew that I took it off-road and still wanted/needed my articulation. I would say it was most notable if I hit a bump in a corner. It settled everything down quicker. I doubt it would hurt to install it now.

Jack

RyanPartridge

Got the Hellwig Big Wig on and went for a test drive. First impression…love it. Rear end feels glued to the road. Nice and controlled feeling. Suspension still does its thing but the body roll is minimized.
Pretty sure I’m going to swap out the front OEM hollow bar for the solid chromoly Hellwig too...

4cc4a46552c7dc245bd787931c235d18.jpg

Last edited:

RyanPartridge

Today’s project addressed my back seat bench. I’ve always thought it took up too much space and the only purpose it serves me is as a “lid” to my Du-Ha under seat storage and shelf to throw our jackets and stuff on.
I’ve been thinking that space will eventually come in handy for packing my bike once I have a camper on the truck.

764ddae0c4f025318e1f20689bd14246.jpg

db553161b645937f789cc32c67b1b22f.jpg

So I pulled the seat out and removed the center shoulder seat belt along with some other hardware. Overall dropped about 75 pounds of weight.
There were some rubber pieces that appeared to be glued from the factory that had come loose. Not sure what their purpose is but I re-glued em back on.

e9837743c31fa6422b937d10bfc9d440.jpg

8f952b0457cdf08b9b18a6e6e77f8c2a.jpg

I dug around in the garage and found this rubber mat with insulation I’ve had for years. It was supposed to be used in my 57 Chevy pickup project but I went a different direction with that and never used the mat.
So I trimmed it to fit and used some heavy duty Velcro to line the back.

c389a41cc01318e162109f1a88fa04db.jpg

6f5066b83a70e4cdc6a2d30f5976895b.jpg

23bc50ee9eb392f79fbff8df920d5d2a.jpg

Found some scrap wood laying around and decided to cut a “lid” for the Du-Ha storage. My plan is to make it a platform that a cooler or whatever can sit on top of.
I’m trying to figure out how to attach some hinges to the underside but I’m thinking the plastic lip that runs around the back might interfere with the lid opening.
I also want to cover it in some dark grey carpet.

005f2fbc3fcee99fb67bff7745f5f0f3.jpg

6e571ab6b4b72906788e33a9b0a85944.jpg

d530e3d2c7b4b13991bccd4a64228b81.jpg

afd845b9b964e59f76b132768a7698f9.jpg

RyanPartridge

Looks good and removing the back seat opens up a lot of room back there.

Jack

Thanks Jack, yeah it really opens things up.
I’m thinking about cutting a couple slots into that mat I put in so the two loops that the back of the bench “hooks” onto are exposed. I think they’d make good tie down attachment points.

RyanPartridge

On to the next problem to solve…truck camper tie-down receivers.
Been looking into the Torklift frame mounted receivers for the Extended Cab version of my truck, and just going off photos it appears my aftermarket fuel tank is going to get in the way by an inch or two on the drivers side.
I think this front drivers side receiver will be the only one to give me trouble.
Front passenger side is stock and would install normal.

A member here was kind enough to snap me these photos of his drivers side receiver installed.

f5f9ee386d5e0fe08bbcf6107153a3ff.jpg

c8c0ccb8a31dd507e3650d171300c4eb.jpg

An above view of how they look and sandwich between the inside of the frame rail.

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 5.14.00 PM.png

Here’s my setup which looks like the front facing section of the receiver will extend too far forward into one of the fuel tank brackets.

0f813ff40ca9e979d60e7d3229e6c736.jpg

Last edited:

djscheele

Do you think one of the 285s would fit in the stock location under the truck? I just discovered a cracked rim after getting home from Moab - will probably end up with the Methods as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanPartridge

Do you think one of the 285s would fit in the stock location under the truck? I just discovered a cracked rim after getting home from Moab - will probably end up with the Methods as well.

That’s a bummer about the cracked wheel!
The 285’s in an 18” will not fit in the stock location, its 34.8” diameter won’t allow for it. At least on my standard bed truck, I’m not sure about an 8’ bed.
A 285 on a 16” or 17” wheel will have a different total outside diameter so maybe with one of those it’s possible?
When I purchased my my Method 701HD wheels they were only offered in 18”. A few weeks back they introduced an HD version of the 704 which is available in the GM pattern in 17” I believe, so that’s another option. Not sure if you care about the HD wheels, I was just going after the 4,500 Lb rating.

Personally, I’m not carrying a spare at the moment only because my size Cooper AT3 XLT tire has been out of stock everywhere for months. I’ve got the spare wheel ready for it and I’ll be keeping it in the back of the truck until my Buckstop rear tire carrier is finished.

djscheele

That’s a bummer about the cracked wheel!
The 285’s in an 18” will not fit in the stock location, its 34.8” diameter won’t allow for it. At least on my standard bed truck, I’m not sure about an 8’ bed.
A 285 on a 16” or 17” wheel will have a different total outside diameter so maybe with one of those it’s possible?
When I purchased my my Method 701HD wheels they were only offered in 18”. A few weeks back they introduced an HD version of the 704 which is available in the GM pattern in 17” I believe, so that’s another option. Not sure if you care about the HD wheels, I was just going after the 4,500 Lb rating.

Personally, I’m not carrying a spare at the moment only because my size Cooper AT3 XLT tire has been out of stock everywhere for months. I’ve got the spare wheel ready for it and I’ll be keeping it in the back of the truck until my Buckstop rear tire carrier is finished.

Thanks - load rating is what I am chasing as I believe that contributed to the issue. I had a 285/75/16 full size spare so I’ll need to check and see if there is any more space past that. I want to keep the under bed setup for now.

Are you going to do any updates to the rear springs or run as is? I got about 2” of sag on mine with the camper loaded.

RyanPartridge

Thanks - load rating is what I am chasing as I believe that contributed to the issue. I had a 285/75/16 full size spare so I’ll need to check and see if there is any more space past that. I want to keep the under bed setup for now.

Are you going to do any updates to the rear springs or run as is? I got about 2” of sag on mine with the camper loaded.

Don’t quote me, but I seem to recall hearing that you can possibly fit a 32” or 33” diameter tire in the stock location if you’re still running the factory diff cover and hitch receiver. My aftermarket Curt XD hitch receiver made the stock 245 spare fit tight.

I do plan to upgrade my springs as well as replace the bump stops with either Sumos or an adjustable setup like Firestone red label air bags.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333