Sönke's hard-side popup camper

soenke

Adventurer
better use the phone, but in the moment he must be on a short trip? I didn´t reach him either the last days.
0049 (o)1602804639 try this one again next week...:coffeedrink:

Ramdough

Adventurer
Do you have any pictures or schematics/specs for your Wabasto, water filter system, and camper heater? I am curious how those systems work.

Also, with your custom springs and shocks, is your rig lifted over stock, or is all of the lift in the body lift.

soenke

Adventurer
sorry for the late answer :smilies27

We use a Katadyn-dual-filter wich can be put it in the water line if needed (we use the Gardena connectors and pressure air connectors). Water can be drawn from either tank under the seats in the cab or from outside ( when dirty, it will have to pass the filter ) and be pumped to the tap at the sink or to a Gardena-Nozzle.
http://www.gardena.com/servlet/Prod...ctId=13077&langId=10&parent_category_rn=12555
This works as a shower or to refill the tanks with filtered water, so we never have to take water of unkown quality in the tanks.

In the engine bay a Webasto water heater is installed wich works by timer, so in winter the engine will be warmed up and the cab cosy befor starting.

The cabin is heated by an Eberspächer air heater with a possible air outlet in the wardrobe if we have to dry cloth.

Here the sink (with an Ortlieb sink lying inside), far right on the wardrobe you can see a metal pipe for all the wiring going up to the top. In the wardrobe an aluminum cover prevents the cloth from beeing penetrated by the pipe when the top (and so the pipe) is descending. Air outlet for the cabin at the bottom right. The Eberspächer is installed in an underfloor box, you can just see the top of the heater
1972047.jpg

1972048.jpg

1972045.jpg

1972049.jpg

Sorry, it´s still not finished and the wireing cleaned up...

milo12

Adventurer
Great truck and camper.

Can you tell us more about the windows? Are they Seitz? I have been looking for a source for quality windows in the USA with no luck.

soenke

Adventurer
yes they are Seitz S4.

they don´t weigh as much as real glas windows and are protected when the top is down..so they are sufficient to our needs, though I wouldn´t call it primus quality--
if you are looking for quality and don´t mind a little more weight, give KCT a call (the web side is just in german)
http://www.kctechnik.de/

the US dealer is
http://www.globalxvehicles.com/

Last edited:

soenke

Adventurer

I´ve been asking for pics showing a NATO tow hook / pintle mounted at the crossmember...and have been collecting all kinds of official data for quite some time. Now I got the raod approval from the german TÜV for our hitch system. It works with the VarioBlock, wich allows to change between a DixonBate pintle, a tow ball or a cover to allow the door to swing open...

pintle
1898259.jpg

tow ball
1898260.jpg

cover to protect the mechanism
1898261.jpg

it´s just a piece of paper, though hard to get.
And so driving home the small roads was very pleasing :victory:
1898262.jpg

1898263.jpg

pplkook

I now have officially wasted 2 hours of work reading and dreaming about this rig.

Amazing in all aspects. Just wish we could get diesel cruisers here in the states......

The only thing that truck needs is to be licensed to me, registered in California, two surfboards on the top and me driving across the TJ border for a 6 month Mexico surf trip reenactment of Siestas and Olas.

It is like the super camper taken to the logarithmic next level.

well done sir! you win.

Mickldo

Adventurer

I´ve been asking for pics showing a NATO tow hook / pintle mounted at the crossmember...and have been collecting all kinds of official data for quite some time. Now I got the raod approval from the german TÜV for our hitch system. It works with the VarioBlock, wich allows to change between a DixonBate pintle, a tow ball or a cover to allow the door to swing open...

pintle
1898259.jpg

tow ball
1898260.jpg

cover to protect the mechanism
1898261.jpg

it´s just a piece of paper, though hard to get.
And so driving home the small roads was very pleasing :victory:
<snip>

We fit a combination pintle hook and ball hitch to the vehicles we build at work. I am on an RDO (Rostered Day Off) today but I will try and get a pic to show you later. The hitch is on a 50mm receiver so it is easy to remove when it isn't being used and it is rated to 3500kg. I am pretty sure they also do another one that is rated to 6000kg too.

soenke

Adventurer
Thanks,
I have seen pics of the combination Pintle/ball, but I don´t think you´ll get the road approval for it in Germany.

Hope to get the Sankey trailer by the End of April...

soenke

Adventurer
thanks..

:victory:

got the Sankey trailer on the road meanwhile ... http://nakatanenga-tours.de is repairing and selling Sankey and other Land Rover stuff

the trailer will be used for working around the house rather then travelling or serious off-road driving. To do so, we´ll have to lengthen the draw bar first

but driving autobahn I don´t even notice the little thing behind :D

2171673.jpg

2171674.jpg

Last edited:

Ramdough

Adventurer
Hey Soenke,

Do you have any new modifications planned? I am not sure what else you would need.

Also, do you know the manufacturer of the fiberglass panels used on the camper? They are foam core right?

Thanks,...

soenke

Adventurer
I think it is the same dutch panel manufacurer Action Mobil uses too, I have to ask Marcus, he got the panels

We still have a lot to do, solar panes are on top by now but need cable, Alarm System needs work and the cab inside some more noice and heat-insulating. Also a lot of cleaning up all the cables and tubes, improving the details...

I don´t know when to do all that...never ending story

On the "nice to have" list is :

modified parking brake

exhaust brake system

soenke

Adventurer
a new kind of 80 build dedicated to travelling has just been finished by the www.Offroad-Schmiede.com
it´s lighter to go without a hydraulic system and less complicated without the J4 cab...

2300290.jpg

2300291.jpg

2300346.jpg

2300347.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues