Saguache's High Country Taco Build

Skyman85

NEWB
I ordered the double DIN Kenwood last night, its going to be nicer than the stock deck that's in there.

I think you'll be impressed by the sound quality from switching from stock. When I upgraded decks saw a significant improvement from the old deck!

Saguache

Adventurer
I think you'll be impressed by the sound quality from switching from stock. When I upgraded decks saw a significant improvement from the old deck!

So I hope, right now I run a tape device from my iPhone into the stock deck. It hums and buzzes pretty well, but beyond that its sounds like poo. Really looking forward to getting this bit done.

JohnnyS

Explorer
Is the Kenwood you ordered plug & play (so to speak)?
We are looking at upgrading the stereo in our '03 DC as well.
Looking forward to watching your build as our progresses as well!!

Saguache

Adventurer
Is the Kenwood you ordered plug & play (so to speak)?
We are looking at upgrading the stereo in our '03 DC as well.
Looking forward to watching your build as our progresses as well!!

Hey Johnny,

According to Crutchfield I should be able to pull out the factory Double DIN and put this one in on the same set of rails. The power, speakers, and antenna should all plug into the back and mount pronto without any specialized tools or wiring. I'll take some photos of the install.

Saguache

Adventurer
Topper arrived today, however, some assembly required so it wont be mounted until tomorrow morning. That said, I did get to see it up close and personal today and I am stoked. Its going to look awesome.

Saguache

Adventurer
Topper is mounted, a few quick shots of the mounting process below. I realized this while trying to get the topper hatch door to seat properly, there is a dent in the left side top surface of the rear bumper. Just another reason to replace.

8552323677_2bb2e46f21.jpg

8552323335_6ced640f75.jpg

8553426608_8c3f1b61ba.jpg

8553425952_a9872f1659.jpg

8552321777_fc06c3b5d5.jpg

The "tool box" on the left hand side will become the kitchen. Sand tracks on a hinge will extend the preparation surface. The next job is to pick up some Yakima risers that will fit the Rhino rails installed on the topper, then remove the Maggiolina from the Subaru and mount it to the truck.

Also, stereo deck showed up yesterday as well as the seat covers. Stereo I am impressed with, hooked it up to an AUX power supply last night and a speaker and its soooooooo much better than stock.:sombrero:

Seat covers look somewhat underwhelming in the box, but I'll give them a try and see what I can do.

One more quick edit, for those in the area Scotty's Truck Toppers comes recommended by moi. Scotty and his partner were great, took care of me, and even had a good time with my two year old. I felt happy to fork over the dough at the end of our exchange -- good guy, good business.

skrillah

Adventurer
Very cool topper, I like the idea of the kitchen off to the side and am intrigued by the idea of the sand track use for a prep table. Looking forward to more updates, keep them coming!

Saguache

Adventurer
Very cool topper, I like the idea of the kitchen off to the side and am intrigued by the idea of the sand track use for a prep table. Looking forward to more updates, keep them coming!

Wish I could take credit for that kind of innovative thinking, I'm actually just plagiarizing the hell out something that happens in the Defender world (guess with older FJs too). That said, maybe I am the first to do it on a Taco? I think the awning is going to be the tricky bit, but I have some ideas there that should result in shady/well-protected field cooking.

I'm about "-><-" that close to mounting the Maggiolia up there, however, I lack only a piece of information. The ARE MX came with Rhino rack's rail system installed. I have Yakima bars and the wrong kind of risers. I know that I can use my Yakima components if I replace the risers with Control Towers, but I need to know the correct sort of footprint to buy. Feelers out, but figured someone on here might know too. Beuler?

Saguache

Adventurer
Rear seat cover installed, had to remove the whole deal to get it on.

8558029798_32ff3b2612.jpg

And finished some dash board modifications too. Added Scan Gauge II, Kenwood DPX-500BT CD Receiver [DD], and Bluetooth Mic

8558032704_83be407913.jpg

Safari snorkel showed up too, but that's going to be more of a project so will have to wait for a weekend. Also, installed a MagLite on the left side behind the driver's seat.

robert

Expedition Leader
Hey Johnny,

According to Crutchfield I should be able to pull out the factory Double DIN and put this one in on the same set of rails. The power, speakers, and antenna should all plug into the back and mount pronto without any specialized tools or wiring. I'll take some photos of the install.

Plan on upgrading your speakers- they're a weaker link than the factory stereo. When you pull your door panels you'll be surprised just how cheap the speakers are- as in complete junk. Get a decent set of component speakers for the front (and some decent two ways in the rear), throw in an amp and you'll be amazed how much better it'll sound; a small powered sub will hep with fill without losing passenger space. Toyota also put no dampening material in the doors so plan on adding some while you're in there; you don't have to cover the entire area to get a huge improvement in sound quality and reduction of road noise, just cover at least 25% with sound dampener on the metal door skins.

Saguache

Adventurer
Plan on upgrading your speakers- they're a weaker link than the factory stereo. When you pull your door panels you'll be surprised just how cheap the speakers are- as in complete junk. Get a decent set of component speakers for the front (and some decent two ways in the rear), throw in an amp and you'll be amazed how much better it'll sound; a small powered sub will hep with fill without losing passenger space. Toyota also put no dampening material in the doors so plan on adding some while you're in there; you don't have to cover the entire area to get a huge improvement in sound quality and reduction of road noise, just cover at least 25% with sound dampener on the metal door skins.

Thanks Robert, Yea its in the plans (especially the sound abatement with the BFGs it sounds like a tank in there). "Premium" sound for any Toyota has been a bit of myth -- basically what it meant is that you got an extra channel or two.

robert

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I agree. Sound dampening is one of the areas where you see a difference between the Toyota and the Lexus line. Having gown up driving mostly old Land Cruisers (FJ-40s) and VWs, I was really surprised how much difference even a modest amount of sound dampening made on a more modern vehicle (and the VWs for that matter). The unanticipated difference was really in driver fatigue on longer trips. After trying it I've been sold on the addition ever since.

Saguache

Adventurer
More work completed today. I was able to convince my friend Luke to come over and help me mount the MGT today.

8562056879_1f7da62373.jpg

8563170698_a9deff1ee2.jpg

8562057997_083471a838.jpg

8562054335_f7ce83142c.jpg

8563159424_2516d09487.jpg

8563167896_c7d557548d.jpg

8562059799_aeb1a9b591.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater