Samurai tops Jeep

haven

Expedition Leader
impressive achievement

Which achievement impresses you more:

1. A German team of 19 with multiple support vehicles and a budget that approached 500,000 Euro managed to drive a slightly modified Jeep to almost 21,000 feet.

or

2. Two Chileans, without support from anyone else, drove their own personal, highly modified trail truck to a slightly higher elevation than the Germans did.

Chip Haven

bootzilla

Adventurer
Where do you go to be able to drive that high?

The thing that is impressive is that people have gone higher than that...."unmodified"...go figure - you would think a car would be able to...right? :REAdvRockClimber:

Doin_It

Adventurer
The impressive factor comes from the fact that the Jeep was factory stock, so what if there were 200 support people, they were supporting a stock truck. Where as the other truck was all modified out. I'm sure 9/10 of all the rock crawling buggies out there would blow the record as it sits now set by those two. "That's how I see it anyway"

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I saw the photos and the article - I'm still a little confused about what was so ground breaking. If you look at the photos that area doesn't appear much more rough than just about any 4 or 5 rated trail in the US. So is there something special about the altitude issue? Do the engines have to be retuned to run in such rarefied air? Aside from carrying oxygen bottles for the crew, what mods need to be made to equip a vehicle to drive at over 20,000' elevation?

It seems to me that the problem with traveling at over 20,000' is that there are very few roads or trails that are accessible at that altitude. But where there are, why wouldn't a vehicle be able to drive there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal