San Diego River/Cedar Creek Falls

BorregoWrangler

Rendezvous Conspiracy
My wife had to work on saturday so we went out sunday to explore. I've been meaning to show her this area fo a while now.

CederCreekFalls072.jpg

CederCreekFalls002.jpg

CederCreekFalls004.jpg

CederCreekFalls049.jpg

CederCreekFalls070.jpg

CederCreekFalls041.jpg

CederCreekFalls044.jpg

CederCreekFalls048.jpg

CederCreekFalls065.jpg

CederCreekFalls021.jpg

viter

Adventurer
cool waterfalls! thanks for sharing!
I thought though one could only hike to those (or perhaps I am confusing these with some other waterfalls not far from Julian). Would you mind sharing how to get there - perhaps through a PM if you don't want to post it up here?
Are there any challenging spots or is it a pretty easy ride all the way?
thanks again!

blupaddler

Conspirator
I second Viter's request, actually, I am going to check my maps first.

The only route I am familiar with is the hike in from the Julian side. We hiked in from above, looking down on the falls. Looking up is much cooler!

Thanks for sharing.
:wings:

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
Those are beautiful pics! There's a group of us looking for a place to go exploring through next month...and this looks like the perfect place (some of the group are getting burned out on desert runs)

Are there spots through there to camp?

BorregoWrangler

Rendezvous Conspiracy
blupaddler said:
I second Viter's request, actually, I am going to check my maps first.

The only route I am familiar with is the hike in from the Julian side. We hiked in from above, looking down on the falls. Looking up is much cooler!

Thanks for sharing.
:wings:

There are two trailheads, one at the end of Eagle Peak road down thru Pine Hills and in Ramona, towards the end of Ramona Oaks road, I believe. However, the trail I took goes thru an indian reservation, just a ways north of El Capitan lake. As I was gawking at the no trespassing signs, a member pulled up in a jeep and we started chatting. I ended up being able to tag along. There is a gate half way down the shelf road but it isn't locked. So I guess for anybody to get down there, you'd have to know a tribal member. Next time we hike down there we'll have to remember our bathing suits!

wjtoy

I came across this thread and wanted to put in my .02. I've explored that valley just north of El Capitan Reservoir as well and while it's beautiful I would strongly recommend not driving down there. The access to the valley floor (through the gate that BW mentions) is across Barona Indian land and they are very particular about who has authorized access to be on their property. The northern part of the valley is owned by some private entities who I've heard are strongly opposed to trespassers as well. I believe that the falls are on National Forest Land so I'm sure there are ways to legally hike down to see them - I just wouldn't risk taking a vehicle down and getting locked inside the gate, or getting caught trespassing on private property.

viter

Adventurer
thanks for all the advice to everybody! guess, I'll stay with the "exercise" route to the falls for now...

BorregoWrangler

Rendezvous Conspiracy
wjtoy said:
I came across this thread and wanted to put in my .02. I've explored that valley just north of El Capitan Reservoir as well and while it's beautiful I would strongly recommend not driving down there. The access to the valley floor (through the gate that BW mentions) is across Barona Indian land and they are very particular about who has authorized access to be on their property. The northern part of the valley is owned by some private entities who I've heard are strongly opposed to trespassers as well. I believe that the falls are on National Forest Land so I'm sure there are ways to legally hike down to see them - I just wouldn't risk taking a vehicle down and getting locked inside the gate, or getting caught trespassing on private property.

Thanks for the info. Driving down there is fine as long as you're with a tribal member, as was my case. Otherwise, hiking is the only other option.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
The pics are nice. I've only seen that area from the air.

You know what they say. If you never go anyplace, you'll never be in the right place at the right time;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online