Save the Rubicon ---

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I really hope that everyone who is posting or just reading this thread is doing something like responding to the links provided.

Jonathan I think this is a great example of how you are in favor of keeping some areas open while closing others.
I really like the permit idea...then people would realize the value and take better care, plus that would create a revenue stream to cover cost in the area.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I responded using the link provided but I plan to write seperate emails/letters/phone calls also.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The form letters are better than nothing....but they don't carry nearly as much weight as an original, unique, individual letter. Anyone can take 30 seconds to cut/paste a form letter and either fax or e-mail it...but only people who are actually passionate about something take the time to compose and send a *real* letter.

Imagine a public officials response if they were to receive 10,000 unique letters regarding a single issue compared to their response of receiving 10,000 form letters...

Just food for thought...

:)

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
The impact is greater than Brian states.

Roseann and I have worked with dozens of public officials, including congressmen and senators. We've been told again and again that a single hand-written or printed letter is worth hundreds of cut-and-pasted or forwarded emails. In their experience, the people who take the time to write letters are the ones who take the time to go vote in the next election. So even if it's only about getting re-elected, they still pay more attention.

motoexplorer

I think form letters convey volume to officials. Form letter campaigns can be quite effective. Many people speaking with one voice - figuratively and literally.

There are times when I send the form letter and times I when I write a personal note.

I do very very much agree that personal letters go a long way though. In Minnesota most of our public land is controlled by the state. Our state forests alone comprise 4 million acres. Nearly all of our issues dealing with motorized trails are state level politics. I happen to live in the district of the state senator who is the chair of the MN Senate Natural Resources committee. For every personal letter or email I've written to him, I've received a personal response back every time. Not an OHV'er pe se, he is an outdoorsman, and he often tries to find the middle ground. He authored the bill supporting our Trail Ambassador program. On things such as that, I'll always send a word of thanks.

We were blessed with the gift of Language and should always try to use it well. Too many unfortunately don't. Too many testosterone/energy-drink fueled fellows in our "hobby" seem to believe that emails such as "HAY SENAHTER JACKA$$, UR A TOOL,...", that sort of thing, are actually effective. Well they are effective in one regard: one email like that can in a single stroke wipe out the good will of 20 people who wrote intelligent letters.

Josh, that was exceptionally well-put. Thanks for the honest, first-hand take on the situation.

I wonder why the land agency in charge of the Rubicon couldn't take the approach the Park Service did with river running in the Grand Canyon. Entrance on a permit basis, a cap on yearly visitation, strict rules regarding portable toilet systems, etc. Better than closing it down totally, and the experience and scenery would rebound to where they should be. Sure, some would complain about a waiting list, but better a waiting list than no list at all.

I too would hate to see such an icon closed.

What if instead of a numeric quota, there was a certification requirement. Why not make the ability to demonstrate an educated responsibility for the areas we love the entrance ticket? Perhaps that could send the land stewardship message. Personal responsibility equals personal access.

Abel Villesca

Explorer
What if instead of a numeric quota, there was a certification requirement. Why not make the ability to demonstrate an educated responsibility for the areas we love the entrance ticket? Perhaps that could send the land stewardship message. Personal responsibility equals personal access.

That's a great idea. How would it be implemented? Presentation of a certificate of training from a recognized off-road or out door land use organization?

That's an intersting idea and would probably make a positive impact. However, I know quite a few irresponsible people who have 'tread lightly' credentials and similar. Alternatively, I know a bunch of responsible folks who have nothing more than good judgement as their certification and frown on this type of managment.

I agree. I do not have any formal Tread Lightly credentials. I come equipped with a love for the land. It's an idea, one that I would hope could be fleshed out into something tangible that could keep the trails open. Certifications mean only that you were able to study and pass a test of some kind. There is no way to certify what is in your heart. What I mean when I refer to land stewardship is love. People invest in and protect the things they love. Unfortunately, love can't be taught in a class or certified by a test.

vyates

Hi,
so I'm a student at UC Santa Cruz, and I'm conducted a field research investigation about the Rubicon and the Water Quality Dispute. If anyone would be willing to submit an interview about why they believe the trails should or should not be closed please feel free to email me! Thanks everyone, and keep up the good effort!
Veronica
vyates@ucsc.edu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach