Say hello to my little friend

max.powerzz

Observer
Good advice, I decided to trailer it. Pics to come. As soon as I stopped for gas today someone came up and tried to buy it! When I picked it up from the park service office two guys jokingly cussed me out saying they didn't know it was for sale and they would have bought it if they knew. It's a little rougher than I thought and the floor is pretty wavy but it's super cool.

rocrunr

Adventurer
They would work okay,but will they extend long enough or you could use blocks I guess.Good deal on the trailer and can't wait to see it transform.

max.powerzz

Observer
Long overdue update and some advice needed. The m416 has been sitting waiting to be worked on; in the meantime I got the Cruiser wired up and ready to tow. The rear bumper is almost tow-ready and just needs attachment points for the tow-chains and a hole in the bumper so we can mount the wiring plug flush.

Here's the dilemma. I recently picked up Kurt's well-known fj40 tub trailer with RTT. It's been sitting at his place for a few years (he has other rigs now with tents and gear, especially his slick 100) and when he made the hard decision to sell it I jumped. It needs a little freshening up after sitting for a while but is in solid shape. I'm sure many of you have read his build thread, http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_trailer.html. I bought it with the intent of keeping the RTT and eventually selling the trailer separately after fixing mine up (promising not to flip it because he let it go at a great price). It's also appropriate because my 40 is Kurt's first 40 he built in high school, so it's fitting to keep them together.

However, I also love the old school military trailers and that has been my first love. I literally looked for years before picking my m416 up. I am tempted to put the body of the m416 on Kurt's fj55 frame trailer, which already has the tongue extended, is wired, frame is reinforced, has Toyota hubs, etc. I could then pass on the fiberglass tub to someone who is restoring their cruiser or perhaps would make a trailer out of the military frame and cruiser tub? Kurt did bring up that possibility but I feel blasphemous. I work in museums and silly as it sounds preservation is important to me so am I ruining two historic projects here? Kurt's trailer is definitely awesome as is but I can't justify having two and a military body on his frame would be a pretty amazing trail trailer.

Attachments

• kurt's trailer.jpg
    kurt's trailer.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 19
  • fj40.jpg
    fj40.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 19

max.powerzz

Observer
I found it on the GSA government auction site, you can sort by state or type and surprisingly there was one just about 3 hours away from me. It had been used I think at the local Forest Service as a utility trailer and was in pretty rough shape. I spent quite a bit more just getting it back to my house than I did on the trailer!

max.powerzz

Observer
Another over-due update, we just finished working on the m416 and getting her road-worthy. I didn't want to mess up Kurt's trailer so a buddy now has her, he's a cruiser guru and took it down to Cruise Moab a couple of months ago if you saw it. We built a new frame for the 416, extended the tongue, and put an fj60 axle underneath. The floor was toast so it got a piece of metal welded in there. The wiring was shot too, we tried to save the stock lights but they were toast. As she sits now, ready for her maiden voyage.

Attachments

• refurbished trailer.jpg
    refurbished trailer.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 27

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Nice!

The old 40 is looking proud. I need to take it for a burn one of these days, it's been nearly 15 years :eek:

max.powerzz

Observer
I need to bring her up one of these days, she runs great! After a few too-close calls we added power steering and disc brakes, muy bueno.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal