Sb_Moto Overland camper build.

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
Really nice work. I never would have guessed that this was your first major fabrication project.

I appreciate the compliment!!

Here is some progress from the weekend. You can start to see the basic shape that I am going for. 41" walls then 13" at a 45 ° and 46" roof. Gives plenty of headroom, but keeps profile down somewhat. Total height it around 72".

Ordered a fan-tastic vent and ball bearings to make a slideout for the ice chest

Any recommendations for wood on the cabinets? Preferably light weight.

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
Made a little progress. I came to realize that June was unrealistic for a completion date unless I work myself into the ground. I cancelled the trip and decided to slow down and enjoy the build a little more. I welded up the tubing and bent some 1/8" for the fenders.

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
So I haven't updated in a while, but that doesn't mean there hasn't been progress. The entire structure has been completed and painted. Started on the floor today (3/4 birch hardwood w/ Henry's tar on the bottom).

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Holy crap is that thing gorgeous....I would just sit there in that red wing chair, with a cold one, and admire it...:ylsmoke:

Not to sure about the tar on the bottom....I think I would seal it with aluminum or plastic, something a little more less likely to develop gaps or fissures?

Can't wait to see more progress...:beer:

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
Well my initial thought was uhmw (plastic), but some engineer buddies said that was a bad idea given the expansion/ contraction. Another option was to use aluminum or steel as a base then wood, but I worry about it trapping water in.

I did considerable reading on tnttt and apparently the tar method is the most common way to seal it. If anything ever happens it allows the wood to dry out, and its easy to touch up. I got the floor cut out tonight so hopefully I'll be laying tar down tomorrow.

I appreciate your kind words!

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
Still working on it, but verrryy slowly. Summer hit so its hooooottttt and muggy in Arkansas.

I bought a CVT RTT, and built a rack for in on the Tacoma bed for now. I am picking back up working on this now so I should have some more pictures and details soon.

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
I also want to add that this will more than likely be going up for sale when its completed. I have decided that I love the CVT and truck bed setup. After some recent trips I dont feel that I can pull a trailer into the areas that we are exploring.

furbucket

Observer
Looks fantastic! I have been thinking/planning/drawing ideas so similar it's like you're in my head...! Perhaps one day I will actually turn ideas into something. Great looking work. I'm sure whoever buys it will enjoy it for a long time.

Sent from the fridge using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach