School me on Montero's/Pajero's...

MrWesson

Adventurer
I own a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 4x4. I've actually owned 2 of them over the past 10 years of the same year/type. They are great off road/towing/fast/etc..

Mine is completely worn out(falling apart/rust) and I'm moving to Colorado in about 6 months and want something for snow days, exploring the mountains and camping.

I don't want another Jeep, Land rovers are finicky, and 4runners are expensive. I've read good things about the Montero(limiteds/pajero's).

What 4wd System does the Montero Sport have?
How does a 00' Perform vs a 03' off road(pajero/montero limiteds)?
I'm attracted to the 03'-up 4wd system/TC over all else but ive read of overheating and i'd prefer to spend less on a 00'.

Lets make this comparison.

2001 vs 2003 ... both limiteds(pajero) on 32" tires

I checked into adding a locker to the 01'.. $1000! :eek:

cnutco

Adventurer
One axle and the compressor is from $1500 to $2000. (ARB)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I own a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 4x4. I've actually owned 2 of them over the past 10 years of the same year/type. They are great off road/towing/fast/etc..

Mine is completely worn out(falling apart/rust) and I'm moving to Colorado in about 6 months and want something for snow days, exploring the mountains and camping.

I don't want another Jeep, Land rovers are finicky, and 4runners are expensive. I've read good things about the Montero(limiteds/pajero's).

What 4wd System does the Montero Sport have?
How does a 00' Perform vs a 03' off road(pajero/montero limiteds)?
I'm attracted to the 03'-up 4wd system/TC over all else but ive read of overheating and i'd prefer to spend less on a 00'.

Lets make this comparison.

2001 vs 2003 ... both limiteds(pajero) on 32" tires

I checked into adding a locker to the 01'.. $1000! :eek:

Read this http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/133780-Gen-3-debate-3-5-or-3-8

MrWesson

Adventurer
4x4 = $ x $

That's just getting you started...

I'm aware.. this will be my 3rd.

Ive had detroit lockers before not the selectable stuff @ 3x the price.

My jeep has stock LSD's in the front and rear(quadradrive).

One axle and the compressor is from $1500 to $2000. (ARB)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pass.. :Wow1:

I've read that thread and it focuses more on engine choice.

3.5 vs 3.8 doesn't matter much to me. I'm after the 4x4 bits.

This was more comparing someone who has owned an early Gen 3 without the traction control(I thought it was only on the 03'+) to the 03+.

Do all the early Gen 3's have a rear LSD?

EDIT by traction control system I am talking about the Active-trac system that would brake a wheel if it comes off the ground and deliver power to the grounded wheel.

Last edited:

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Hello Wesson,

I have owned both versions of the Gen3. The first was an '01 XLS my current is an '05 (Limited). I normally ride with my Uncle and Grandfather who both use TJ and JK Wranglers. The Montero never had any issues keeping up with either Jeep on the trails and my only issue was sometimes getting too far ahead. The XLS had a 4-speed and manual transfer case without the LSD. The Limited has the 5-speed and new Activ-Trac 4x4 system. Drivetrain parts are interchangeable between the 2 versions. I actually installed an '02 hybrid LSD differential into my '05. You can also change from the 4.3 gears in the 5-speed models to the 4.9 gears found in 4-speed models.

The rear LSD is an option and was not found in all early versions. They are a torsion style LSD with a clutch system to fix the issue of free wheeling when one tire is suspended with a torque sensing system. The traction control installed in '03 and newer models was deemed more than sufficient offroad and the LSD's were removed in US models. Installing a LSD into a traction control model does not have any adverse effects on performance.

The 3.8L engine also has made a large difference in performance. Highway cruising, towing, and throttle response is greatly improved.

Having taken both off-road, I believe the traction control models to be even more capable with careful driving. I have installed the factory LSD just to replace a bad open diff, but the entire system is very robust. If you want a true rock/extreme articulation, the older (Gen2/2.5) models are the better choice. The Gen 3 however is far more usable as my DD and driving to trails.

Hope this helps. My signature has a link to the Montero/Pajero information site.

Pathwacker

Observer
I had an 88 two door montero sport with 3" torsion bar lift. ARB bull bar 6500lb winch, suspension seat, Lund visor, and locked rear. It was a beast at the time. Recovered all classic bronco, yj wranglers, and ifs toyotas during the early 90s.

mitsuman

The rear LSD is actually both torque and speed sensing, one helps the other and it works much better offroad than most other LSD's. I have an 02 Limited and am very happy with it. I think the active trac system would be an improvment for ice/snowpacked roads because it has a steering angle sensor and can use the traction control to help it get around slick corners better.

If you must have a locker, get a 1999 or older and make sure it has the factory air locker in it. But the suspension and manual control of the 5 speed auto tranny in the Gen 3 monteros are what I like best.

My brother lives in Colorado and when I would take my montero sport out there (4 speed w no manual control) it would kick down to 2nd gear trying to get up mountian passes at anything under 55 mph. Now with my Limited 5-speed I can lock it in 3rd or 4th and it will hold the gear no matter what.

MrWesson

Adventurer
I'm definitely in the market.

I have some decisions to make. already built 2.5gen vs early 3rd gen vs activetrack 3rd gen($$$).

The pros of a built 2.5 gen are obvious but this scenario would be a fly/drive situation which doesn't appeal much to me.

Gen 3 limited's are hard enough to find near me as it is. I did find a 2001 with 160k miles within 200 miles of me for 3900. After seeing a few built rigs of that year go on here for similar money it makes me hesitant.

I think an 03 with around 100-140k miles with all terrains/mud terrains(33's ideally) for under or around 5k would be best for my needs.

Either way this vehicle would be a beater, Home depot runs, Some mild crawling, snow days but mostly for camping and getting as high up in the Mountains as possible.

Now whether to shop around now or wait until my move to CO vs having to Move 1600 miles with 3 vehicles. Sensibly I'd wait but I want a replacement 4x4 now(jeep has had it).

vanatee2000

Observer
If it matter, the montero selection out here in Colorado is pretty weak unless going through a dealer...which us obviously more expensive

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater