Scored me a FWC 'Hawk'! Now I have a question about storm flap velcro issues.

Mcstiggens

Well, I did it! After a good solid month I found a good deal on a pop up camper and pulled the trigger.
I scored a 1998 FWC 'Hawk' just 60 miles away from me for $3,800.
I got really frustrated at the fact that short bed models are available 10 to 1 over long bed models. I just decided to shop the SB
models too (even though I have a LB) in order to increase my chances. Then at least I would have something and could sell it later
when I have time to track down a Granby or something.

Over all it's in great condition. Especially considering it had been stored outdoors, uncovered.
No leaks, no dry rot, lift panels are good for many more years, the vinyl is in great shape as well.
The only real problem is that the previous owner stored it with the top up to avoid mildew or something
and the passenger side storm flap Velcro is all toast from UV damage.
As you will see in the pics, it has all deteriorated and broken away from the trim where it was attached.
It has also lost its ability to stick anymore. Now it just flaps in the wind. I had to fashion some wire holder thingy's
in order to hold the rolled up flap in place.

The thing that puzzles me is, why in the hell did they not stitch the Velcro to the vinyl on the outside?
They did stitch the interior Velcro. Also, on the driver side, even though it's still in good shape, the Velcro
which was applied using an adhesive) no long sticks (meaning the adhesive no longer keeps the back side of the
Velcro adhered to the vinyl). It is still attached to the trim at the top and bottom though, which is the only thing
keeping it in place.

So the question is, what can one do to fix this problem? How can such a fix occur? How can this be done properly (by stitching)
without removing the tent which would of course be much too costly and labor intensive since the vinyl is all fine?
The first pic is of the 'good side', the others show the damage to the 'bad side'.

Thanks for any input on this.

Mcstiggs

P1050188.JPGP1050189.JPGP1050190.JPG

Mcstiggens

Yea I saw that one available as I was looking all over the state but it's older than what I want. I was looking for a mid/late 90's or better.
Also, that price is a bit steep for it's age (which is most likely why it hasn't sold yet.) I mean, I scored a '98 model for only $3,800.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Stiggs

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
That old velcro for the outside storm flaps was a poorly thought out design.

From what I have heard, when FWC moved the factory from Colorado to California back then, they found a new company in Sacramento to sew the soft sides (pop-up portion) for them. This new sewing company could not figure out how to build the FWC pop-up liner in the original design without the windows sometimes leaking.

Four Wheel Campers was under different ownership back then.

Instead of doing it right and figuring out why the windows were sometimes leaking, they choose to put a band-aid on it (they added the outside storm flaps to keep the windows from leaking).

The first batches of campers with the new exterior storm flaps and velcro were just stuck on (I think?).

Just guessing here, but I think they realized really quick that wasn't working.

After that they started sewing the velcro down.

I think the only way to get that velcro to kind of stay in place would be to sew it by hand.

One person inside the camper, one person outside the camper on a step stool.

Feed the needle & thread in from the outside, and have the person inside feed the needle and thread out.

It will take some time to do a good job.

: (

Hope this helps.

Thankfully FWC does not use those outside strom flaps or velcro on the outside of the camper any longer.

:)

Derek24

Explorer
Your the guy! I was suppose to buy that camper the day he posted it! But he never answered my calls the next day we set up an appointment! Great deal for sure!

sourdough

Adventurer
Good find. 3800 is a good buy I'm thinking. If it was me, I'd glue on some more velcro. Original stuff lasted a pretty good while.

Mcstiggens

Your the guy! I was suppose to buy that camper the day he posted it! But he never answered my calls the next day we set up an appointment! Great deal for sure!

Heh.....yea. I'm the guy. You must have been the "6:30 appointment". (i was the 5:30)
Well I don't know if I was the first to respond (I saw it just a couple hours after he posted it) but I was the most persistent he said.

Good luck on your search. I certainly know how frustrating it can be.

Cheers,
Mcstiggs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad