Scout Camper

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Yeah, I was thinking that as well, tho I had that "Payload" explained to me by the RV guys. Basically that is the leftover weight you can put in the bed of the truck AFTER its loaded with 4 adults and the max tow load on the hitch (which would be approx 15,000lbs). After that they said that they do load up an F250 with 3k to 4klbs pickup campers like a Lance 811 (with slide)...requiring airbags of course. They didn't seem to blink an eye at a 2500lb loaded camper on an F250. I spoke with the two of the largest (I think) PU camper dealers in Apache in PDX and Tom's Camperland in AZ.

The issue is that personally I have no experience loading up my truck like that. Maybe it's crap. I need the thing to drive really nicely because I'm hoping to not be taking it off all the time in summer or winter. Thanks for passing on the thoughts, I have some details but lack the rest :).
I *believe* payload allows for fuel but no people. As far as I know the sticker on the door does not factor in weight on the hitch.

Whenever I head out, I subtract my hitch weight (as I tow a trailer) from the payload listed on my door jamb then pack accordingly.

Hitch weight is 750 lbs. Payload is listed at 1,800 lbs on my truck. That leaves 1,050 lbs for passengers and cargo.

Last edited:

svinyard

I *believe* payload allows for fuel but no people. As far as I know the sticker on the door does not factor in weight on the hitch.

Whenever I head out, I subtract my hitch weight (as I tow a trailer) from the payload listed on my door jamb then pack accordingly.

Hitch weight is 750 lbs. Payload is listed at 1,800 lbs on my truck. That leaves 1,050 lbs for passengers and cargo.

That makes sense and seems to be typical across other sites I just checked out as well (thank you!). Perhaps my discrepancy is in the Payload weight. Ford site says its 2900lbs. However the sticker on driverside door area says "Combined Weight of Occupants and Cargo should never exceed 2395lbs". So confusing.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
That makes sense and seems to be typical across other sites I just checked out as well. Perhaps my discrepancy is in the Payload weight. Ford site says its 2900lbs. However the sticker on driverside door area says "Combined Weight of Occupants and Cargo should never exceed 2395lbs". So confusing.

Go with what is on your door.

crazysccrmd

Observer
Yeah, I was thinking that as well, tho I had that "Payload" explained to me by the RV guys. Basically that is the leftover weight you can put in the bed of the truck AFTER its loaded with 4 adults and the max tow load on the hitch (which would be approx 15,000lbs). After that they said that they do load up an F250 with 3k to 4klbs pickup campers like a Lance 811 (with slide)...requiring airbags of course. They didn't seem to blink an eye at a 2500lb loaded camper on an F250. I spoke with the two of the largest (I think) PU camper dealers in Apache in PDX and Tom's Camperland in AZ.

The issue is that personally I have no experience loading up my truck like that. Maybe it's crap. I need the thing to drive really nicely because I'm hoping to not be taking it off all the time in summer or winter. Thanks for passing on the thoughts, I have some details but lack the rest :).

Those RV guys are wrong, they either don't know or they are making stuff up to sell campers. The sticker on your door jamb is the maximum weight you can put in the truck. Hook up a trailer with a 700lb tongue weight and your remaining payload is 1700lbs for people, gear, stuff in the bed, etc. If you put a 2000lb camper in the bed you're left with only 400lbs allowed for you, your wife, two boys and all your clothes, water, food, etc. It's not like the truck won't do it but you will be exceeding the manufacturer's ratings.

svinyard

So I called Ford USA to ask about something else but I also asked them what my payload specs were. The guy asked for my exact make, model,trim and engine then consulted his spec book (it seemed). He said it was 3000lbs. I asked him if he was sure and he clarified that it was correct. That sounds about right for a common 3/4 ton (non desiel). I think some newer ones are like 3500lbs.

Nevertheless, I'm sure the only perfect way to tell is to use a CAT scale and see for myself.

crazysccrmd

Observer
The sticker on your door is the correct number, it is reduced for every option added to the vehicle. The base model spec is always higher, the sticker accounts for the added things like optional floor mats, a different radio, side steps, leather seats, etc.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The sticker on your door is the correct number, it is reduced for every option added to the vehicle. The base model spec is always higher, the sticker accounts for the added things like optional floor mats, a different radio, side steps, leather seats, etc.
Agreed. The only way I would imagine a Ford employee could properly advise is if they looked it up using the VIN so all options would be taken into account.

schmugboy

Observer
Not to be that guy, but I'll be that guy. Why is this hard side with an "optional" wedge pop-up in the Pop-up forum. Admittedly I do like that option, and it seems better than the northstar or outfitter pop out side option, which kids will outgrow quickly.
I applaud their efforts to make a basic lightweight hard side camper without slides and all the other mostly useless amenities. Hopefully they stick around, or maybe I'll be able to pick up a used one in 3 years when everyone has given up on camping outdoors.

Porkchopexpress

Has anyone seen any independent reviews of scout campers? There are a lot of articles out there but they all read like press releases. There must be owners out there and with all the unique features, there must be some opinions on how well they work in practice.

Porkchopexpress

Just noticed this is under the pop-up forum, should be under hard side truck campers. Anyone with moderator powers available to move it?

Eightysix45

Has anyone seen any independent reviews of scout campers? There are a lot of articles out there but they all read like press releases. There must be owners out there and with all the unique features, there must be some opinions on how well they work in practice.

I’d love to find some real opinions as well. I’m interested in these campers but am quickly becoming irritated with the company as it seems all marketing hype with very little to show. Their Kanai model is little more than a CAD rendering, but they act like it’s the real thing. When I contact them they give the BS line about focusing on quality not quantity.

svinyard

?? There are a handful of walkthroughs of Scout campers on YouTube and Instagram now. Pretty easy and they are real customers using them. Go ping them with questions. Some dealers have them, tho they sell out well before getting to the lot so it's tough to find them at times. It's not like you have to preorder a Kenai, they will be available to check out in late December/Jan.

Porkchopexpress

I have seen one YouTube video with two parts that I thought was a decent review. I'm just surprised there aren't more with all the publicity these campers have generated. As far as the quality over quantity response, they do seem to be quality built from the videos I've seen so I'm inclined to take them at their word until I see evidence otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater