Scratch built expo trailer

trost

Hey guys, well after 2-3 years of poking around this site and dreaming about doing an off-road adventure trailer I finally pulled the trigger and started welding. I would like to start by saying I am no expert fabricator so go easy on me. This trailer took about a month of planning trying to figure out the best design for what I was going to use it for. Its going to be pulled by a 93 Toyota standard cab with 35's and a 22re 4 cylinder so light was a must. The main reason for the trailer is so my dirtbikes can ride in the bed and all the camping equipment and tent are on the trailer. I'm done with packing all my gear and bike in the bed then unloading everything on the ground and having to reload everything into the truck when I get the bike out. I like the idea of getting to camp, setting up the trailer and the truck and motorcycles are free to use.

So first thing I decided was I did not want the conventional trailer with a fold up lid and a tail gate. seems like it would be hard to get to gear and if someone is sleeping in the tent how do you lift the top up to get something out of the trailer? I decided to do barn doors on the back, a door at the very front(no crawling in the trailer to dig gear out) and there will be a door on the opposite side that folds down as a table.

So here is a quick list of specs and plans for the trailer...

Axle - 3500# 6 on 5.5 no brakes
Tires - Used 35x12.50x15 BFG km1's on black steel wheels
Suspension - tacoma rear leaf springs and shocks
doors - 1x1 .083 wall square tube with weld on hinges, triple point steel latches and weather stripping
Lights - LED turn signals & reverse lights, interior lights in the box as well as the RTT
Tent - I plan on buying a Cascadia Vehicle Tent or one from www.top-tents.com because they are both local. Thoughts?

I'll ad more info later, I got inspired by reading other's threads and wanted to get one going. Please share any thoughts you may have. Criticism or concerns are welcome!

Also I am from Dallas, Oregon so if anyone is selling a roof tent please near by let me know!

Here are a bunch of pictures. Like I said before I just want to get this thread going, I'll take more pictures tomorrow out of my crowded garage.

DSCN5350.jpg

DSCN5352.jpg

DSCN5353.jpg

Got this box from the scrap yard, used to be a battery box for something. so many holes to fill!
DSCN5356.jpg

DSCN5349.jpg

Doors will all lift off the hinges
DSCN5342.jpg

DSCN5341.jpg

DSCN5336.jpg

DSCN5337.jpg

DSCN5338.jpg

DSCN5347.jpg

DSCN5348.jpg

Please share your thoughts, I'm very interested to hear what your guys have to say and I'm still at a point where changes can be made.

-Thanks,
Jonathan

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Look damn nice to me! Well thought out and great fab skills.
I like all of the angles that strengthen the frame.
What are you going to skin it with?
Keep the build pictures coming.

Mark Harley

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Doing good, nothing wrong with your skills. Thoughts, I wouldn't have the doors lift off the hinges, theft prevention. Also I would add more support to the top, cross bars. Keep up the good work.

trost

Thanks Mark, the box is from the scrap yard. It used to house a big battery. If you want a tongue box Harbor freight has a few from $80-$100.

LCP, the main frame is 1.5x1.5 0.083 wall and the tongue is 2x2 .25 wall.

Scrap, Thanks. as far as theft there is no way to lift the doors off when the door is closed because it sits recessed in its door frame. I suppose they could take it off when the door is open but if the door is open that's the least of my concerns. And yes there will be alot more supports!

Thanks for all the kind words! I'll try to get some work done today after work and post more progress.

elsensei

Observer
Very nice work. I like the angled roof. Nice detail.

This is going to sound stupid: I especially like the removable doors but I'm not sure why. I mean, they're cool but why do you want them to be removable?

I wouldn't worry about theft, you have locks on them and aside from that why would someone want a completely unique door like that?

Depending on how the tent will sit, you may want an additional vertical on each side.

Keep up the good work. :)

Sam

trost

Oh and as far as total weight I'm shooting for under 1000# fully loaded. And somewhere around 600-700 empty. Thats pretty light so we will see.

trost

Very nice work. I like the angled roof. Nice detail.

This is going to sound stupid: I especially like the removable doors but I'm not sure why. I mean, they're cool but why do you want them to be removable?

I wouldn't worry about theft, you have locks on them and aside from that why would someone want a completely unique door like that?

Depending on how the tent will sit, you may want an additional vertical on each side.

Keep up the good work. :)

Sam

Thanks and yes I'm not worried about the doors. I made them lift off so I could grease the hinges. Sure I could have got hinges with zerks but I didn't oh well. And the Roof tent will bolt to the sides of the trailer and hoops will go over the top for it to bolt to. Once I decide where these hoops will bolt to I will add plenty of support.

trost

Here are a few pictures out of the garage. Any thoughts on tongue length? The box is 6ft long and the tongue is 5ft long? Dose this look about right?

DSCN5357.jpg

DSCN5363.jpg

DSCN5362.jpg

DSCN5361.jpg

DSCN5360.jpg

DSCN5358.jpg

trost

Don't think I mentioned it before, the trailer will be skinned with 16ga steel. Not sure on the floor yet. It will either be 14ga or wood.

-Thanks!

if ti where me, i would run a coupl of braces from teh corner of the trailer about half way up the tounge. maybe overkill, but i prefer overkill. just my opinion.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
This may be a dumb question, but...

How do you keep the wheels from hitting the fender support when there is a lot of weight in it? Will you put a bump-stop above the axle? It looks like there is only about 3" of clearance when it is sitting empty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh