Sealing the lid/tailgate on a multi-use trailer?

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I'm curious what some of you home builders have used to seal the lid and rear of your trailers?
I know that there is some high density foam that is out there for sticking to the underside of truck caps at the mounting surface, is that what some have used?
Any other options out there?

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I'm curious what some of you home builders have used to seal the lid and rear of your trailers?
I know that there is some high density foam that is out there for sticking to the underside of truck caps at the mounting surface, is that what some have used?
Any other options out there?

I used foam on my old trailer, but would certainly use rubber instead of foam on any thing now. The foam just doesnt hold up, in my experience.

~Stump

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I just remember YEARS ago, I had an F-150 with a cap and bought a strip of foam that was about 1.5" wide. I used the truck for hauling garbage/junk so I didn't ever pay attention to whether or not it was actually water tight or anything...
The term high-density was probably not accurate in my original post, it was a somewhat soft material.

A rubber gasket would be nice as well, it would probably hold up longer to heat/freeze cycles.

gasman

Adventurer
the first time aound i used a foam weather strip, it didnt hold up . this time i have used a rubber door seal that i picked up at canadian tire, it is the type of seal /weather strip that you would use on the windows and doors in your home, its only been on a few weeks but i am reasonably sure it will hold up way better than the foam/sponge type of seal.. it cost me like 15 bucks

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
When Stump first mentioned the rubber, I instantly thought of the flange/gasket on the bottom of my garage door. It's fairly wide and designed to compress from the pressure and weight of the door.
It might be a tad bit too wide depending on how wide the lip on the trailer is...

Paladin

Banned
I found actual automotive rubber bulb seal for sale at Lowes of all places. In the weatherstripping section, but they had packages for automotive use. It's worked so far.

Paladin

Banned
I can't remember, but it was pretty cheap. It's not like full-size automotive bulb seal like you'd actually see on your car. It's just how they marketted it. They had one with a D profile, hollow bulb, maybe 1/2" wide. And like an E profile, not hollow, but with 4 fingers, that was a little wider. I used both in different places.

I tell you, I wasn't happy with how I built the doors, I was kind of tired an in "just get it done" mode, but I'm continually surprised that they seal as well as they do.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I tell you, I wasn't happy with how I built the doors, I was kind of tired an in "just get it done" mode, but I'm continually surprised that they seal as well as they do.

I get that way when I'm close to finishing a lot of my projects. Not a good state of mind to be in... lol

TacoDell

Adventurer
I used 3M rubber weather strip # 08650 for my trailer's lid seal...

^ is a quality self stick bulb seal... tho' 7/8" thick, bulb can be compressed down to near 1/4" thick off the mounting surface.

if this is too tall for ya... there are always the "D" type/shaped rubber seals to be had.

google knows ;)

martin809

How well is that 3M holing up for you. I am in the process of building my trailer and was wondering what to use and that looks perfect

TacoDell

Adventurer
How well is that 3M holing up for you. I am in the process of building my trailer and was wondering what to use and that looks perfect
Mine is holding up great... stays stuck where I put it... seals is A-1

seal05.jpg

seal04.jpg

seal03.jpg

lidseal06.jpg

lidseal01.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach