Series Seats

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
The other night I looked down at what remains of the factory seats in my Series III (ripped, deteriorating, and wrapped in clear tape), and I couldn't help but think that, even new, they would be less than ideal on long trips. Perhaps I'm mistaken here.

For those of you who do long-distance driving in your Series Rovers, what is your opinion of the stock seats? Are there options that would be more comfortable (in a modern sense) yet not eat up a lot of headroom or legroom?

I could certainly recover and re-foam the stock seats cheaply, but I was curious.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I did a rebuild on the seats in a Series 11a I owned. Wasn't too difficult a job for a home sewing machine. I toyed with the idea of replacing the seats with some bucket seats. I seen it done in a Series 111.

To get enough room to make it work you have to replace the steering wheel with something much smaller, otherwise your legs won't fit in.

Good luck.

ShearPin

Adventurer
For a number of years I ran the stock Series III deluxe vinyl seats with no comfort complaints. The longest day I remember was 9 am to the border at around 5 am the next morning on the way out of Copper Canyon, Mex.

I switched to some UK Trakkers replacement high-backs for no other reason then at 6'3 the low-backs always concerned me in the event of a rear end collision. The replacements were disappointing. They tore apart easily and the seat cushions sagged in short order.

At the moment I have used Defender seats installed. Bolt in fit with no legroom/steering issues and the seat base is removable allowing access to my aux. fuel tank filler. They are expensive and hard to find but a comfortable seat.

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com

KevinNY

Adventurer
I had a set of Saab 900 seats for a while that were quite comfortable. Then I found a great deal on a set of used Sparco Evo 2 seats and still have them.

TeriAnn

Explorer
Alaska Mike said:
For those of you who do long-distance driving in your Series Rovers, what is your opinion of the stock seats? Are there options that would be more comfortable (in a modern sense) yet not eat up a lot of headroom or legroom?

I've gone on multiple 3000 mile type trips in stock seats and don't have problems with them. But I frequently hit rest stops to stretch my legs and I drive a 109 with the seat backs leaning all the way back. A 109 bulkhead sits farther back than an 88 bulkhead with allows you to lean back with more distance between your head & the windscreen. I have a cubby box between the front seats which makes a good arm rest.

If I had an 88 I would cut the bulkhead down and install D90 seats. Cut down the rear seat box mounting flange where the seat frame hits it and the seats can sit rearwards an inch or two farther.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
FourByLand said:
Keep it genuine!

:)
I think it's a little late for that. Engine, transmission, transfercase, axles, suspension, steering, and a few other things are already slated for replacement. :)

The seats I have now are the basic seats, so perhaps the deluxe seats will be a decent choice. The basic seats don't seem too complicated to repair and cover. I was just wondering if the effort was worth it and it there was an easier solution that provided greater comfort.

Blair G

Adventurer
Alaska Mike said:
I think it's a little late for that. Engine, transmission, transfercase, axles, suspension, steering, and a few other things are already slated for replacement. :)

The seats I have now are the basic seats, so perhaps the deluxe seats will be a decent choice. The basic seats don't seem too complicated to repair and cover. I was just wondering if the effort was worth it and it there was an easier solution that provided greater comfort.

Go to a local wrecking yard and find some seats. I am in the process of doing that for my 110. In an 88 finding seats that are thin is the key. Also, when you install them you can build rails that lift the seat up to give a little more leg room. Just be careful since the series windshield is narrower then a 110's. Also, shift the seats inwards by a couple of inch's. This will center the seats on the steering wheel and give you more shoulder room as well.

Blair

oonimog

Adventurer
If changing to aftermarket seats, are you not concerned with access to the battery and cubby under the passenger's seat? When I bought my 110, it had a Recaro driver's seat and this limited access to the battery.

Blair, I also thought about moving the seats inboard to increase shoulder room but it seems the pedal to seat alignement is already a bit off and moving the seats in would only make this worse. Did you not find this to be the case?

Pete

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
My Series III is LHD, so the gas tank is under the passenger. I'm thinking about a tank under the driver's seat, so that is certainly a concern. The battery is under the hood and the tool box is nothing I'd store anything in, due to its low position and the frequency of water crossings up here. To some degree, it isn't a trail if your headlights aren't kissing the water.

British Pacific had some highback seat backs for $169, but the deluxe seatback runs for $70, so that may be a little spendy when you add in shipping. I'm also playing around with a one person sleeping arrangement for the passenger side, so a highback on that side may be impractical.

Junkyard or aftermarket seats are a real option, although proper seating position (I'm about 6' tall) and the ability to retain the center seat (3 kids) is desired.

Blair G

Adventurer
oonimog said:
If changing to aftermarket seats, are you not concerned with access to the battery and cubby under the passenger's seat? When I bought my 110, it had a Recaro driver's seat and this limited access to the battery.

Blair, I also thought about moving the seats inboard to increase shoulder room but it seems the pedal to seat alignement is already a bit off and moving the seats in would only make this worse. Did you not find this to be the case?

Pete

I have a rhd 110 and it looks like it will be fine when I do this. I slide over to the position it would be and it felt comfortable. My buddy did it to his SIII 88 LHD and it feels perfect. I am 6ft 2in and my shoulders weren't rubbing on the b post. 110's and 90's have more room to move around from the factory and I also intend on removing the rear bulkhead as well.

Blair

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater