Series2a spare wheels

TeriAnn

Explorer
Have you ever considered thinking inside the box?

My truck is a 109 regular. It has an under seat fuel tank under both front seats which is about the same as carrying about 4-1/3rd jerrycans, plus a rear fuel tank from a 109 station wagon (filler assembly from a one ten high capacity pickup). There are people making high capacity front fuel tanks that extend under the floor while not extending below the frame rails. Two of those could be like adding 8 jerrycans to a rear fuel tank all without adding anything exterior to your vehicle and actually lowering your centre of gravity.

If you have a 2 door 109 there is lots of space at frame level under the side bench that goes between the behind the seat bulkhead and the back of the vehicle. I have a custom made 15 US gallon stainless steel water tank that sits on the leading rear spring outrigger. The back is diagonally cut so it does not extend into the rear wheel arch. That is three water jerrycans of drinking water sitting inside the body with its weight at frame level. At the same location on the other side I have a horizontal mounted propane tank. Again inside the body but not inside the truck with its weight at frame level.

If you feel a real need to carry two spares instead of one and a tyre patch kit & compressor why not carry one on the bonnet in the stock LR spare mounting position and one on a swing away at the rear. Again you keep the vehicle centre of balance even and low.

The Series Land Rover is the most versatile truck ever made. If you can imagine it you can modify your truck to be it. Don't limit your thinking to add on solutions that other trucks need to use and don't be afraid to lay under your vehicle to see what empty spaces exist between the exterior and interior of the body at frame level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk