Shifty - A 4Runner story

WastedAccounts

Master of Awesome
Well the lift's on hold for this weekend. This happened today and now I need to take care of it this weekend and find out what the insurance is gonna do with my ride. Yes, that is her bumper wrapped nicely around mine.

2012-04-12_12-19-45_404.jpg

03DubyaJay

You call, I haul.
hope youre alright mang, and hopefully shifty'll be fine. hey, you might get a nice, new, rebuilt rear axle;) or insurance money for that roof rack. makes me even happier that you were able to calmly pull off the road, get out, and admire the carnage that ************* idiot dealt themselves.

WastedAccounts

Master of Awesome
Thanks Man. I slept a lot this weekend trying to recover and I'm still way run down. But yes, the truck took it like a champ I was able to drive off the road and view the wreckage.

I was able to get some pics of my storage/sleep system organized this afternoon though. I feel it came out pretty slick. It all folds up nicely behind the rear seats. There's a space for electronics which only has my amp in it right now but plenty of room for a converter or anything else. The drawer is 24" deep and is locked shut when my HiLift is mounted. The HiLift also hold the cooler in place. The top hinges up to allow access without removing the jack as long it's not covered with lots of stuff. My sub's built in and sounds great in such a big solid box. The supports for the fold out sleeping platform are hinged and fold out without effort but need some adjustment once deployed. They're attached though so there's no loose pieces to deal with. Storing the system is a little more difficult then I planned but not hard at all. I still need to secure the main box to the floor and cover it with something. Then there are several other things I need to do but the major work is done. Check it out.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

03DubyaJay

You call, I haul.
me likee. once i get this swing arm finished and the spare on the outside, i may have to rig something up that comes out of my tailgate so i can keep up with your sweet import ;)

t4rFL

Adventurer
man, always wanted to create some storage organizer like that (seen a few on jeep forum) just not handy like that. i really like that addition when the seats are folded.

03DubyaJay

You call, I haul.
gah! get it matty. i just ordered a new 4' firefly yesterday. gotta get her tuuuuuuuned for our next trip so more than 2 of us have radios

WastedAccounts

Master of Awesome
Well some updates since it's been a bit.

1. I need to grab that SWR still
2. The lift is installed.
3. I've got some other goodies in the mail. Savage Sliders with Kick-outs and Bud Built skid plates
4. I need a rear bumper, preferably with a tire carrier. They're expensive and I can't decide what to do yet. CBI is in the lead though.

Before and after pics of the lift. In both pictures my storage system is in with what I believe will be my static load of tools and recovery gear. The SS1.2a seems nice and level with the weight in the back and I'm thrilled with how it turned out. The truck is stiff if you try to bounce it but the on-road manners are rather nice. It will still do 85mph on the highway but on a windy day it gets blown around a bit. I also got 16.7 mpg on my last 100mile highway trip. Can't beat that.
BeforeLift_Web.jpg
AfterLift_Web.jpg

Last edited:

Overbear

Observer
4. I need a rear bumper, preferably with a tire carrier. They're expensive and I can't decide what to do yet. CBI is in the lead though.

Why not fab up your own? I mean heck man, pick up a used stick/arc welder or a good mig on craigslist. Pick up some metal, start welding. Once you got the basics of welding down pat, you start to fabricate, thats how many of us that do our own fab work gor our start.

WastedAccounts

Master of Awesome
Why not fab up your own?

Thanks Overbear. Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind unfortunately I'm limited on space with my current living situation. I'd love to have a welder and fab my own parts and it's not outside my skill set but I doubt my neighbors would be thrilled with me welding in my parking space. It's not off the table I just need to figure out if I can make it work. Plus the CBI bumper is just so pretty! :drool:

WastedAccounts

Master of Awesome
Thanks, I can't wait to get it off road and see how it performs. I'll be grabbing my SWR this weekend and I think we're talking about a ride to Richloam on the Jeep board for this weekend.

03DubyaJay

You call, I haul.
clermont jeep club is doing a night ride the friday before mother's day. i might hit that. looks fun

WastedAccounts

Master of Awesome
I saw that. I may go but doubtful. I'm going to Hardrock on Sunday with the other guys so I may just hang out with The Girl Friday night. Let me know if you're going. You have my number, right? Shoot me a txt on Friday if you are. I'm headed to Kissimmee tonight so I'll be in the area tomorrow. Oh and I got my SWR meter so I can finally tune my new antenna and yours.

WastedAccounts

Master of Awesome
It's been a while so here are some recent pics. Just some boring flex shots for now. There's video out there, I'll link to it later.

And for a real update, My roof rack arrived today and I've got my rock sliders as well. That's all going on this weekend.

I'm now rockin' my ExPo sticker!

flex3webvb.jpg

flex2web.jpg

flex1web.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach