Show us your Toyota 4runner, tacoma or truck.

bloc

I've spent a couple years now getting this 4runner to its current "baseline". That is, I wanted a TurboDiesel 4runner to build into an expedition vehicle. I've owned a few TDI VWs, and knowing how great the diesel Toyotas sold in the rest of the world are, I decided to make one.

So, I bought this:
2529154415_d9a4d8e0e6_b.jpg

'94 JDM 1KZ-TE 3 liter Toyota Turbodiesel engine and A343F automatic transmission

Then, I bought this: (sorry for the dark pic, this is the night I got it home despite the crazy rod knock forcing us to get off the freeway and go right through the HOOD)
2516940783_c8c447c068_b.jpg

Turned all of that into this:
2908543864_290831b32f_b.jpg

And eventually got sick of the automatic, so I swapped in a 5spd which required regearing.. and while I was at it I installed a front mount intercooler for even better mileage, and ended up with this:
3688248783_23880a8d98_b.jpg

Current setup is mostly in my sig.

Plans include selectable rear locker, massaged but mostly stock suspension, custom sliders & bumpers (rear will be soon, and sweet), simple drawer/sleeping platform in the back utilizing a bouldering "crash pad" as a mattress, and hopefully a move to a place that it's less of a PITA to actually use the truck.

I'm really glad to have found this site.. TONS of good info here.

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I've spent a couple years now getting this 4runner to its current "baseline". That is, I wanted a TurboDiesel 4runner to build into an expedition vehicle. I've owned a few TDI VWs, and knowing how great the diesel Toyotas sold in the rest of the world are, I decided to make one.

Plans include selectable rear locker, massaged but mostly stock suspension, custom sliders & bumpers (rear will be soon, and sweet), simple drawer/sleeping platform in the back utilizing a bouldering "crash pad" as a mattress, and hopefully a move to a place that it's less of a PITA to actually use the truck.

I'm really glad to have found this site.. TONS of good info here.

:lurk:

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
we went camping sunday to tuesday. cutting short our trip due to some miserable gusty winds that far exceeded the 10-15 SE wind we were expecting. woke up this morning not to bad. A little rain, little sun, a little rain while it was sunny. Then the wind hit and blew down our tarp/wind block and I found 2 poles that where not up to the task. got this image before the wind hit though.

Attachments

• Stoney Gorge010.jpg
    Stoney Gorge010.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 189
N

NorCalBorn

:victory: 1995 2wd Auto Grocery Getter into 4wd 5-speed Expedition/Fun Machine..
3821488725_21de9f36e9_b.jpg

Video of all the mods in action.. 0-65, slowing down for the interchange, then 35-70. Great test of my camera rig..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJESSkGRzR4

..and a quick 15second runup starting at 20mph in 2nd on up to 60mph in 4th before easing up to show the torque and acceleration since i finalized the work on my 3.0..yes, it's a 3VZ-E and I am fine with it..for now. :smiley_drive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0YZpdNUECs

Slideshow of the build's in my signature line, and reflects the most current changes.

Last edited by a moderator:

freeze

Adventurer
The first trail was part of BFE. The second one was Cliffhanger and the last trail was Behind the Rocks. Really incredible views there!

refried

Adventurer
Here's my '81. It has a 250+hp Buick V6 and a Turbo 350 trans with extra clutch packs, and hasn't had any trouble in over 5 years. It has a 3" lift and single KYB shocks, a little stiff riding when empty but rides great at freeway speed will haul a load of logs cab high (3/4 cord) without sitting on the bumpstops. I built it as a prerunner in the early '80s and have kept it since. It dosen't get used as much as it used to but it's still in pretty good shape.
truck001.jpg

truck2005.jpg

jim65wagon

Here's my '81. It has a 250+hp Buick V6 and a Turbo 350 trans with extra clutch packs, and hasn't had any trouble in over 5 years. It has a 3" lift and single KYB shocks, a little stiff riding when empty but rides great at freeway speed will haul a load of logs cab high (3/4 cord) without sitting on the bumpstops. I built it as a prerunner in the early '80s and have kept it since. It dosen't get used as much as it used to but it's still in pretty good shape.

Definitely cool.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal