Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

java

Expedition Leader
get an esbar heater, tiny footprint and 8 hours of heat at full blast on less than a gallon of diesel.
I have one at the moment, the 3500, I'm just going back and fourth on burning diesel or propane for heat. I don't have a very big tank, I will likely get a larger one at some point down the road, but I want to keep as much range as possible at the moment.... And I'll already have propane for cooking and hot water.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

DzlToy

Explorer
You have probably seen this, but the Propex heaters really need a large tank unless you are only camping for a few days on each trip. The stock Westy heater only lasts 4-5 days depending on usage and temperatures. Some people kill it in three days, some only knock the chill off in the morning and get 10 days out of it:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-501291--.html

Personally, I would not install a propane tank and heater system that forced me to fill up every 3-4 days. YMMV

java

Expedition Leader
You have probably seen this, but the Propex heaters really need a large tank unless you are only camping for a few days on each trip. The stock Westy heater only lasts 4-5 days depending on usage and temperatures. Some people kill it in three days, some only knock the chill off in the morning and get 10 days out of it:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-501291--.html

Personally, I would not install a propane tank and heater system that forced me to fill up every 3-4 days. YMMV

Interested read. Looks like the Westy tanks are ~2.5 gallon (propane) I am planning to use 5 gallon/20# tanks. Out current truck has a 6 gallon tank and we get 5-7 days of heating and cooking just fine, depending on temps.

I completely agree on not filling often, but I plan to use the standard BBQ tanks to make swapping at grocery stores an easy option.

My current thoughts on heaters are either a 16k BTU RV unit (not very efficient maybe 70%, but cheap), a Webasto diesel heater 3500W (I own it already, but I am still on the fence on burning diesel for heat), or a Truma propane unit 3700W (98% efficient, nice small unit, but $$)

DzlToy

Explorer
Something else to consider, for those who may not be aware is, places like gas stations, grocery stores, etc., where there are "swappable" tanks, you give an empty and take a full one, are NOTORIOUS for short filling their tanks. They say it is for safety, but there is a blow off valve for that.

I would MUCH rather have a tank that I owned, whether BBQ style or DOT approved and fixed, that I then had filled by weight or volume so I knew exactly what I was getting and how much I was paying. Here is a article to explain. I have weighed my BBQ tanks and they were all short on LPG.

https://www.orangecoat.com/the-truth-about-filling-20-lb-bbq-grill-propane-tanks

The BBQ fill up is a bit deceiving because they first hand you a slip that says "20 lb cylinder". When you pay inside the receipt says "20lb PROPANE", and the filling print out says "Cylinder: 20 lbs." The only defense is that the filling print out is honest and says "3.6 gallons". However, nobody knows off the top of their head that a propane tank is supposed to have 4.7 gallons to be considered "full". By saying 3.6 gallons, they are masking the fact that they put in 75%. If they wanted to be upfront they'd say "we will put 15 lbs of propane into this 20 lb cylinder".

java

Expedition Leader
I am well aware they are short filled. I generally have mine refilled, but refill places are getting harder to find.

I want to have the option to swap tanks if needed. I plan to have tow tanks, I may do a 20# and mt little 5# one or two 20# ones.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Most U-Haul shops fill propane. They also usually require a 5 gallon minimum and charge a handling fee as well.

I just watch where the roach coaches go and follow them. Last fillup, I paid $2.50 / gallon, flat rate, no extra charges, which is what? 1/3 the price of the trade-in sca...er...deal?

java

Expedition Leader
Yeah the Uhaul by me is $$$ I go to the RV park, much cheaper. IIRC about 2.50 is what I paid last time as well.

screwball48

Explorer
We had an LP filling station were I worked. It took me twice as long to fill a tank as it did my coworkers. I was asked why one day. My explanation was simply that I would check the filled weight of the tank WITHOUT the hose attached.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Costco sells propane at many locations now and the rv guys say its usually really cheap as in hands down best deal if you can find a location selling it.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
As for forspar diesel heat we use them on the boats. The heat is probably the nicest heat I've seen and the consumption is so low. With your ice box quality foam job the diesel heat may even be too much heat. I would install what you have I think you'll be really surprised. I dont think fuel will be an issue. Though the thirsty truck no doubt will be a piggy at the pump.

java

Expedition Leader
As for forspar diesel heat we use them on the boats. The heat is probably the nicest heat I've seen and the consumption is so low. With your ice box quality foam job the diesel heat may even be too much heat. I would install what you have I think you'll be really surprised. I dont think fuel will be an issue. Though the thirsty truck no doubt will be a piggy at the pump.
Thanks for the input! I'm thinking about it. Adding a fuel pickup sounds like zero fun. And I also don't have the "official" webasto controller. It works fine on a standard thermostat though, just no low fan option that way.

I'm thinking I'll mock it up with a duct just to see how it does. I have it set up as a portable heater sort of now. The hour meter says it's got 14 hours on it.

Adding the pickup may just be what it takes to push me into the bigger tank. No sense in dropping it twice.... It just wasn't in the budget at the moment.

java

Expedition Leader
Wife says we should just use the diesel heater. So we will do that.

Anyone have thoughts on doing a DIY pickup vs buying one? They are not cheap....

Amazon, $50 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016RAAT6...UTF8&colid=1W9T1VHESHHDF&coliid=IWXYMEYKC02NE
32520671242_84faa65bff_z.jpg

or

Locally ~$65 http://www.suremarineservice.com/5000688A.aspx
32520672002_42912bd59d_b.jpg

Hard to tell if they are the same or not....

Got another sheet on the wall last night. Aiming for one a night for the weekdays.

32659984235_801d1031bc_b.jpg

DzlToy

Explorer
I have no personal experience with them, but I have been told that Sure Marine is quite knowledgable about the diesel stoves and offers good customer service. It may be worth a call o a visit to do some R&D or to make sure that you get what you need for your application.

java

Expedition Leader
I have no personal experience with them, but I have been told that Sure Marine is quite knowledgable about the diesel stoves and offers good customer service. It may be worth a call o a visit to do some R&D or to make sure that you get what you need for your application.
Yes I have been there before, his store is not far from my office. He is very helpful. I need to save as much money on this as possible however, I'm pushing the budget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues