Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

locrwln

Expedition Leader
In answer to your exhaust question and whether it’s worth going to 4” or not; probably not. I went to a 4” side exhaust after I put the flatbed on and didn’t notice any improvement/change in power or egt’s. Incidentally, it didn’t get any louder with the new muffler either. ?

Jack

java

Expedition Leader
In answer to your exhaust question and whether it’s worth going to 4” or not; probably not. I went to a 4” side exhaust after I put the flatbed on and didn’t notice any improvement/change in power or egt’s. Incidentally, it didn’t get any louder with the new muffler either. ?

Jack

Thank you! Exactly the kind of info I need! :D Notice much soot on the side of the truck?

I ran mine with the straight DP when the DPF was coming out, surprisingly quiet. Turbos muffle pretty damn well.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Thank you! Exactly the kind of info I need! :D Notice much soot on the side of the truck?

I ran mine with the straight DP when the DPF was coming out, surprisingly quiet. Turbos muffle pretty damn well.
I got a little with the 90hp tune loaded on long road trips, but don’t really see much with the new 40hp tune.

And yes they do.

Jack

java

Expedition Leader
I got a little with the 90hp tune loaded on long road trips, but don’t really see much with the new 40hp tune.

And yes they do.

Jack
Cool thanks! That's my worry, because it would be on the door area... If there is no mpg benefits I can't really see doing it. Unless I really need to carry a second spare. I get a bit of soot as I run a +70 tune all the time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I would not worry about changing the rest of the pipework just for efficiency. You risk both the sooting on the side of the vehicle as well as potentially fumes in the box. All for minimal gains unless you are really pushing it (towing etc).

Now if it relates to greater clearance, stop sooting on your bicycles/trailer or you damage the original then that would be the time to reconsider.

For what it is worth the Old Yella truck always had soot on the side and a dirty tire from the side exit pipe. With the Big Red one the rooftop stack worried me with sooting the solar panels but for some reason I don’t have a problem with it and it does clean up the belly area of the truck nicely.

java

Expedition Leader
I would not worry about changing the rest of the pipework just for efficiency. You risk both the sooting on the side of the vehicle as well as potentially fumes in the box. All for minimal gains unless you are really pushing it (towing etc).

Now if it relates to greater clearance, stop sooting on your bicycles/trailer or you damage the original then that would be the time to reconsider.

For what it is worth the Old Yella truck always had soot on the side and a dirty tire from the side exit pipe. With the Big Red one the rooftop stack worried me with sooting the solar panels but for some reason I don’t have a problem with it and it does clean up the belly area of the truck nicely.

The pipe is already way under the box, I would like to change that at least. It never got extended from the factory "bed" size. I am maxing the truck out nearly with GVWR, but I am not sure how much difference it will make in real world efficiency. I would lose 10-12' of pipe and the big whoop that goes over the axle.

Sooty tire and side is what I would like to avoid if I can.... But it sound like that would be an issue with side exit. Did Old Yella have a turn down?

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Yep Old Yella had a turn down to start with. It may of received a bit of redneck engineering with a sawzall when I did the 43” tires. I’m getting old and the memory is a bit fuzzy .

java

Expedition Leader
Yep Old Yella had a turn down to start with. It may of received a bit of redneck engineering with a sawzall when I did the 43” tires. I’m getting old and the memory is a bit fuzzy .
Haha! I feel like a turn down would help a bit

softboyled

From the old photos, looks like Bamby (nee Old Yella) had the pipe exit at ~45 (between left and rear), but not down.
Now, she exits straight to the left.

Does that ring a bell?

java

Expedition Leader
The input I was getting from the diesel guys in pirate was at stock or a bit over it won't make a big difference.... Probably going to leave it as is for awhile.

java

Expedition Leader
Snowmageddon has happened..... Seattle got 8" of snow and the world has ended.....

So we went skiing.

46148953215_7a559c879b_b.jpg

It was COLD, like -6 cold. But that makes for amazing snow!! 10-12" of the lightest fluff you can imagine.
47062673461_dd0d5e9b88_b.jpg

Tired legs....
47010385662_d6cb789eb7_b.jpg

Snow was good enough we stayed another day. Wind packed it pretty hard in spots overnight unfortunately. But we ran into some old friends and the kids got to play all night.

Waited till everyone left the ski area, and headed home. Uneventful drive in the snow the whole way. Parked safely back at home.

Fatboyz

Observer
Wow I wish it was only -6. We were camped West of Nordegg Alberta this past weekend. Our truck isn't ready so we had our old beat up holiday trailer out it has a wood stove in it. Saturday morning it was -36 and sunday it was -34. I start my truck through the night every few hours when I stoke the stove. I did a 2.5 hour hike Saturday when the sun came out hunting for rabbits. When I get my 550 done we plan to take a small inverter generator with us on these types of outings to be able to plug in the powerstroke. On the bright side we it isn't very busy out.

Attachments

• winter camping 2019.jpg
    winter camping 2019.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 58
  • ice climbing 2019.jpg
    ice climbing 2019.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 55

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater