Sleeping bag options

pluton

Adventurer
I haven’t washed any of our four Taiga bags since they have DryShell covers and would take forever to dry (LOL, waterproofing works both ways ?).

I just washed a 1994 Marmot Gore Tex down bag. Turn it inside out in both the washer (front load only) and dryer and it dries as fast as normal down bags.

Trail Talk

Thanks, gives me confidence to try when necessary. I’m hoping a wash won’t be needed for several years since I always wear a base layer.

smbisig

Adventurer
I'm 6'5" and have been happy with the Therm-a-Rest Ramble (https://amzn.to/3EuUZK0) in my Canopy Camper. If I will be camping in the snow, I will also bring my Teton double bag and always have a wool blanket as well. You can never be too prepared.

I sleep way better with a large down blanket like the Ramble vs a sleeping bag. Even the larger two-person bags. I think because I have a tendency to sleep with my feet outside of the covers/blanket.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I've never slept better since I go into Big Agnus system bags. They have a sleeve sewn into the bottom that accepts your inflatable pad. Less insulation on the bottom, so less bulk and weight compared to a similarly rated normal bag. You never roll off your pad. I have 3 different temp bags

Trail Talk

Returning to the conversation to share some good news from Taiga Works. After years of prodding they are finally offering a down quilt/comforter in three sizes. Our twin-sized 800-fill (768g of down) arrived within a week and will be going into the camper. No affiliation, we just find their down bags to be very well made and good value too. Just a bit on the heavy side for backpacking trips short of expeditions, FWIW.

94A8F4AB-A885-401F-B7C3-B184F488ACE6.jpeg

Flyelk1

Just an update for my set up in the camper. Since it’s a basecamp, I went with a synthetic bag from Wiggy’s. Out of Colorado and it has been incredibly warm. Steep discounts if you can buy in person. I bought a zero degree bag for when I ice fish and camp. Well made, and warm! Just a thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater