Expedition Leader
Painted and ready to install

2 coats of self etching primer on both sides,
Top side 2 coats of rustolem paint
Bottom side 2 coats of truck bed liner.

101_0075.jpg

Installed

101_0078.jpg

The only bolt I didn't install was the one that is under the cat, it's just a little tight in that area.

I'll have to do some touch up to it and the front skid when it warms up some. I still have that plastic skid that's on the driver side and I may just modified it to get it to fit back into back.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Did you catch my note about mud & the Budbuilt? I can't remember where I posted it recently. As there is virtually nowhere for mud/debris to drain it quickly became a 1" thick slab of dried up dirt under my t-case. It got bad enough that the t-case was in the mud. I took it off and drilled a handful of holes in the skid as to allow some natural draining and easier draining with the pressure washer too. Its worked perfectly keeping things from caking up.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Did you catch my note about mud & the Budbuilt? I can't remember where I posted it recently. As there is virtually nowhere for mud/debris to drain it quickly became a 1" thick slab of dried up dirt under my t-case. It got bad enough that the t-case was in the mud. I took it off and drilled a handful of holes in the skid as to allow some natural draining and easier draining with the pressure washer too. Its worked perfectly keeping things from caking up.

Nope, didn't catch that note but I had the full bud built skids on my last 4runner and ya, there's not place for that mud to go.

I just don't have any metal cutting tools to make any holes in it.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Nope, didn't catch that note but I had the full bud built skids on my last 4runner and ya, there's not place for that mud to go.

I just don't have any metal cutting tools to make any holes in it.

It was here:
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53325

I used a holesaw/drill for the smaller holes and the plasma cutter for the bigger drain plug hole I added, worked out nicely. In all reality you could cut the holes with the skid installed and touch it up with paint if it does become a problem. Come to think of it I also trimmed the lip below the cat because mine was making contact under certain loading.

Box Rocket

Good to know. I'll be looking at getting one of these eventually so addressing any issues before install is a plus. Thanks Kurt.

Looks really good Tearon. I are jealous.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
One of those what am I thinking moments...

Made a road trip up to Logan tonight to pick up a set of 80 series rims. The owner had boughten a spare 80 series that he's slowing parting out to use on his other 80 or selling parts at random. The rims came up the other day for sale and I decided what the hay I'll go for it. So tonight these are sitting in my apartment:

Rim 1 (this was the spare):
101_0104.jpg

Rim 2
101_0102.jpg

Rim 3
101_0101.jpg

Rim 4
101_0100.jpg

Rim 5 (this is the worst of them, pitted and missing a small chunk of metal near the weight)
101_0097.jpg

101_0098.jpg

So right now I'm debating to just clean them up the best I can then go ahead and have them mounted when I get my new tires put on or have them sand blasted then powder coated. The crappiest of the rims may just get used as a spare or I may not do anything with it.

All the tires are 245/75/16 except the spare which is a 265/75/16, three of the tires I plan on keeping and selling (may keep the tire that's on the spare and use that as my spare tire). The other two tires will be trashed, one has a rip in the sidewall.

Poll:

Clean them up and mount them as is

Sandblast and then powder coat (gun metal color, need suggestions on this one if I go this route)

digitalferg

Adventurer
Since you've already got wheels and tires on your runner right now (i'm assuming you still have them) I vote for sure get them sandblasted. Then either powder coat or rattle can them up.

-Ferg-

tacollie

Glamper
I would get them blasted and powder coated. The powder coating is gonna be more resistant to corrosion than rattle can.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Since you've already got wheels and tires on your runner right now (i'm assuming you still have them) I vote for sure get them sandblasted. Then either powder coat or rattle can them up.

-Ferg-

Ya, I still got wheeles and tires and my 4runner right and I actually have a new set of tires going on either tomorrow on Friday. These will go when I get them cleaned up maybe end of the month of the beginning of next.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Well, I ended up selling the LC rims I picked up and was able to make my money back on them minus the gas money. One of the deciding factors to this was that I came across antoher set of rims in better condition and which I like more the LC rims. Plus, I like the color.

So without further adeu here are the new rims I picked up tonight and I couldn't be happier

101_0138.jpg

Picked them up for $160, they have a few scuffs here and there but nothing like like the LC rims. They will be going on this weekend.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Update: 2/9/11 - Rims

Made a small change to my 4runner today. Switched out the split 3 spoke wheels for a set of 16x7 rims off a 05 Toyota Tacoma. I'm very happy with end result. :victory::sombrero:

Front:
101_0153.jpg

Angle:
101_0154.jpg

Side:
101_0155.jpg

So far I haven't noticed any rubbing. I'll have to see how they do when I get off-road and under flex.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal