small generator suggestions.

lostissues

I am looking for a small generator, It is to hook up to my new trailer. The trailer it is the bed of a truck with a cap on it retrofitted into a trailer. It will be used for camping when I go to truck shows. last year we tented it and it was freezing. I am hoping to be able to get a generator that is able to power a space heater that will heat the sleeping space (6 foot bed with cap).
I would also like to be able to run an LCD monitor (22 inch) and a DVD player (not necessarily at the same time as the heater.) I would like to run a few lights probably LED. and maybe a few flood like lights off the back so we can have some light out the back.
I saw this one here http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-O...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

from home depot, but after reading a little on here I noticed that the 800 watts constant me not be enough for a space heater.
they also have this one which has 1500 watts continuous.
http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-O...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I like the idea of the 12 volt power along with the 110 that way I can wire power to the interior lights and have them work when the generator is not hooked up.

I have never heard of this brand at all so I was wondering of anyone heard of them or if anyone has any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Token

Explorer
Just an opinion.. Maybe look at the generator to recharge a battery and use the battery to power what you need power to.. Set the generator to restart and charge the battery when it get below 11 volts or so..

It'll be a bit more costly but it'll beat listening to the generator running all night long..

lostissues

Just an opinion.. Maybe look at the generator to recharge a battery and use the battery to power what you need power to.. Set the generator to restart and charge the battery when it get below 11 volts or so..

It'll be a bit more costly but it'll beat listening to the generator running all night long..

that would be nice but I want to keep prices as low as I can. I would think that running a space heater would drain the battery pretty fast and the generator would kick in quite often. we went up as a group of about 10 people, we had 2 tents, a few slept in their jeeps and we had a camper also. the camper had a generator running all night long and the camper was between the generator and the tents and it was not all that loud. plus I figure with a long enough extension cord I can put it a good distance away keeping the noise down.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
start out by figuring out how much current the space heater will draw (lots, usually), then you can figure out how much generator you need.

austintaco

Explorer
Have you considered an indoor safe propane heater? We bought one for our last trip...best purchase ever. I bought the same type of generator in your first link too, but I have it on hand as an emergency backup to jump start the truck as needed.
The down side to this plan is that if I don't start up the generator often, the gas will go bad and when I need it, I will have to drain and refill.
Just my thoughts.

lostissues

Have you considered an indoor safe propane heater? We bought one for our last trip...best purchase ever. I bought the same type of generator in your first link too, but I have it on hand as an emergency backup to jump start the truck as needed.
The down side to this plan is that if I don't start up the generator often, the gas will go bad and when I need it, I will have to drain and refill.
Just my thoughts.

That would work for the heating option but I want to tackle the lighting and entertainment at the same time. and having a generator I would be able to plug in a lot of things (chargers for phones, small electronics, small appliances, whatever electrical stuff I need) on top of the heater.

Stinkytaco

I am looking for a small generator, It is to hook up to my new trailer. The trailer it is the bed of a truck with a cap on it retrofitted into a trailer. It will be used for camping when I go to truck shows. last year we tented it and it was freezing. I am hoping to be able to get a generator that is able to power a space heater that will heat the sleeping space (6 foot bed with cap).
I would also like to be able to run an LCD monitor (22 inch) and a DVD player (not necessarily at the same time as the heater.) I would like to run a few lights probably LED. and maybe a few flood like lights off the back so we can have some light out the back.
I saw this one here http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-O...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

from home depot, but after reading a little on here I noticed that the 800 watts constant me not be enough for a space heater.
they also have this one which has 1500 watts continuous.
http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-O...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I like the idea of the 12 volt power along with the 110 that way I can wire power to the interior lights and have them work when the generator is not hooked up.

I have never heard of this brand at all so I was wondering of anyone heard of them or if anyone has any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Jonathan

You want a Honda EU 2000. It is an awesome generator, starts on the first pull, super quiet, sips fuel, super light, I can move it with little effort, I love this thing. It is one of those few items that is just perfect, I can run my 1500 watt heater, or my power tools, compressor, etc. I'm really surprised what this little 2k gen will run, I've run a lot of cheaper generators that just don't make the cut; Generac, Coleman, Craftsman...they are all crap IMHO and I now really appreciate the convenience of a Honda generator.

My .02

BTW I paid $896 for mine new at AZ rentals. The gen also has a 12 v outlet for charging your battery.

Kye

Token

Explorer
That would work for the heating option but I want to tackle the lighting and entertainment at the same time. and having a generator I would be able to plug in a lot of things (chargers for phones, small electronics, small appliances, whatever electrical stuff I need) on top of the heater.

This should cover ya..

IMG_1719.JPG

In addition to what you see, there's also a AC/Heater system onboard that pipes into the bottom of a rooftop tent (supply and return vents), a full LED lighting system, electric water pump and a Freezer/Fridge.. There's a small Honda generator that kicks on when the batteries get down to 11 volts to do the recharge when it's dark or the solar panel can't manage to keep up.

The heater portion is fired via propane and a blower motor moves the air into the tent.

Prolly cheaper to get a generator and space heater though.. Would hate to have a space heater get kicked over in the middle of the night in a tent though.

WFTW%20Stitch.jpg

wcdu

Observer
I tried some generic gen from the big box stores. Ugly. Then I went to the Honda. Keeping my motto of bigger is better I got the 3000. It really is awesome. You can run it under the table and have a conversation and card game over it. The only drawback is it is only 110. Honda has since introduced a bigger model and it has 220. Absolutely no justification but...iieeee...I can hardly walk by one at the dealer.

I think the electric space heater off a gen is not a good idea, cost wise. I say buy a Big Buddy propane heater and never look back. They are designed for tents and have tip over features. Heck, you won't be able to start it if it isn't level. I saw a new entry from the same company that is twice as expensive but would look like an indoor heater instead of a tent heater.

Although I have no experience with the Yamaha, I bet they will work.

Steve

lostissues

I have heard good things about the Honda generators, but with a quick google search the price looks to be from 900 dollar up past 1000 easy. I will probably use my trailer only a few times a year so I could not seeing spending that much for a generator unless I get one big enough to power some major appliances when the power goes out at the house.

@Token your setup is pretty bad *** but would be way overkill for me. and the space heater will not be used in a tent I will be sleeping in the trailer/truck bed with cap over it. and sweet looking rig also.

the big buddy propane heater does look nice and not to bad priced at around 100 bucks. I may go that direction but I would like to get a generator to power other stuff also.

Token

Explorer
Not my rig.. Belongs to a friend of mine that set it up for a cross country trip last summer.. Has about $60,000 in the Jeep and $15,000 in the trailer. He did two years in Iraq w/ Blackwater or somone like that helping train the new Iraq Police force.. Blew his entire wad on the rig and went broke two months into his trip.. Pretty sure he ended up selling everything.. Last I heard he was busted somewhere around NM doing odd jobs for room and board..

I've got ideas in my head of building up a cheaper version of that trialer based on one of those $400 4x6 utility trailers you can pick up at Lowes.. Axle flip and extend the axle, custom flate fenders and a set of 35" MT on some stock H3 wheels I've got kicking around as spares.. Put a couple of diamond plate tool boxes on it, some 2x1 tube supports to make a platform for a roof tent.. Rig up some basic electrical.. I'm thinking I can do it for under $2000.. Which of course means It'll be closer to $4000 when I'm done with it..

UNI

Adventurer
Just a suggestion, look at a Yamaha EF1000iS generator. We use this generator and it does a great job for us. Like other members have suggested, you should run your "heat" off propane and 12 Volt (DC). Get a small/quiet generator or solar panel to re-charge your batteries. Then if you have a small 110 Volt (AC) appliance, you'll be able to run it as well. (Like a Margarita Blender :sombrero:, remember if the appliance does't put off heat, your usually ok with a small generator)

Click Here: Yamaha EF1000is Spec Sheet

Click Here Video: ExpeditionOz Gear Guide - Yamaha EF1000iS Generator/Inverter
Note: Video demonstrates 240 Volt unit, here in the USA you can purchase the 110 Volt unit.

Last edited:

mmccurdy

Adventurer
I have a Honda EU3000is also, and I would definitely second the folks who have suggested Honda, but they are pretty expensive for occasional use.

One thing to note about the Home Depot generators, they are typically extremely loud while they are operating. You may not make many friends at truck shows if you show up with a loud as hell genny and expect to run it all night to keep warm.

I would look at the various catalytic propane heater options before going with a low end generator. They will be a lot more efficient at producing heat than going from gasoline to electric back to resistive heat like in a space heater.

You can also pick up a deep cycle battery or two and an inverter to run the electronics. You will be able to run a 22" LCD all night long on that setup, and just charge it from the truck alternator when it's running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner