Snakes

Aggie

Adventurer
I hope this feeling is the minority - sad IMO

Wow can you say thin skinned? It is an old joke, and if you have ever been around a farm, had chickens or any other animals that were problematic for snakes you would know where the joke came from.

Instead I see a bunch of city boys on this site thinking they are grizzled because they go camping for a week... :elkgrin:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Aggie said:
Wow can you say thin skinned? It is an old joke, and if you have ever been around a farm, had chickens or any other animals that were problematic for snakes you would know where the joke came from.

Instead I see a bunch of city boys on this site thinking they are grizzled because they go camping for a week... :elkgrin:

It sounded to me like the joke stemmed from an irrational fear of wildlife…so, who's thin skinned?

Even though I may chuckle at the joke, I wanted to make sure not to perpetuate the idea that we don't have a responsibility to the local wildlife when we travel.

I think there is a difference between taking measures to protect one's cattle or livestock on one's own ranch or farm, than to take measures when you're on the trail or in a national park. In addition, there are probably more conservationist methods that are just as effective, even if you do want to curb the threat on your own land.

Not that you know me or whether I'm city boy or a country boy, to use your phrase, but when did the notion of protecting wildlife become a city boy's notion?

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Boys, boys!

I thought it was funny, and assumed it was just a joke. I certainly hope no one here would kill any snake without a good reason ("They're dangerous" doesn't count).

From a non-city boy.

Last edited:

Aggie

Adventurer

It sounded to me like the joke stemmed from an irrational fear of wildlife…so, who’s thin skinned?

Even though I may chuckle at the joke, I wanted to make sure not to perpetuate the idea that we don’t have a responsibility to the local wildlife when we travel.

I think there is a difference between taking measures to protect one’s cattle or livestock on one’s own ranch or farm, than to take measures when you’re on the trail or in a national park. In addition, there are probably more conservationist methods that are just as effective, even if you do want to curb the threat on your own land.

Not that you know me or whether I’m city boy or a country boy, to use your phrase, but when did the notion of protecting wildlife become a city boy’s notion?

And the City boy comment was me being sarcastic. Guess some around here don't take joking so well. :ylsmoke:

On our family Ranch we deal with a LOT of snakes, everything from Copperheads to Water Moccasins to Grass Snakes. It is VERY easy to wander into a snakes territory unaware of one of their presence. I try to book it the other direction when I run into one, but if he is willing to strike at me or my family members the shovel comes down. Just the way it is unfortunately. :(

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Growing up in East TX, I have run into my fair share of water moccasins and copperheads. Luckily, I've always noticed them early enough to avoid getting too close, or they moved on before I had the chance to make that mistake.

The scarier encounters usually happened in or near the water.

LS1matt

grew up hunting all my life in TX & LA, spent lots of time with family on farms in LA....... I DONT DO SNAKES...... if i see one i go opposite way, if he is coiled and i get close (not knowing till last second).. dead snake ... I believe the fear is due to me being around 5 or 6 years old at my dad's friends ranch fishing by a pier and as i leaned down to play in the water... a water mocc. came swimming out under the pier just inches from me... i am now a grown MMM 22year old 6'1" 225lb man... and i still freak at the sight of even a grass snake.

Sorry but we all have our fears and if you say you dont fear anything.. i call BS..

I agree snakes get a bad rap and you should respect "their" home when out walking the bush.... but they still scare the ******** out me...

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Boys, boys!

I though it was funny, and assumed it was just a joke.

And you'd be right, it was just an amusing quote i heard when I asked the best way to pick up a snake in an previous Expo thread. We are in no danger of running out of soapboxes here.:) I'd still like to know the correct way to pick a snake up.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Well - If you need to move snakes regularly, I strongly suggest a pair of tongs such as the ones in the photo I posted. Safer for you and the snake.

If you just see a snake sunning itself on the trail now and then, and want to keep it from being run over or deliberately killed, any stick longer than four feet or so will suffice to scoot/flip it into the brush. Generally a nudge is all it takes to get it moving.

I can't imagine any circumstance where you'd actually need to handle a venomous snake, unless you really always wanted to hold a puff adder:

Puffadder.jpg

(Trained professional, closed course)

haven

Expedition Leader
In USA, most snakebites start with mass quantities of beer. The snakes are not out there, waiting to bite you. Just leave them alone and you'll be fine.

Chip Haven

BigAl

Expedition Leader
In USA, most snakebites start with mass quantities of beer. The snakes are not out there, waiting to bite you. Just leave them alone and you'll be fine.

Chip Haven

Where do snakes get beer, something should be done:victory: Nothing to add to this thread, but I had a really neat snake experience last saturday. We were driving thru a wooded area and saw a Black Snake, my buddy called it a black "racer". We moved it along with a stick but it quickly coiled and did a rattle snake mimic with its tail. It was in dry grass/weeds so the sound was really authentic. Any way I never saw a black snake shake its tail like that before. For only 60-65F that thing could move. He was laying on a coal black road soaking up heat i guess.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach