SnowPeak chairs

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
Personally, I'd opt for the Snow Peak, because I prefer sitting higher off the ground. I'd also choose their "Long" model, for better back support.
LV-081%5Bthumb%5D.jpg
main.jpg

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Bergger said:
While I've never sat in that particular snow peak chair I have been shopping around for a while now. I've tried numerous chairs in that style and I don't find the back support very good. There is not a lot of fabric on the back compared to other chairs. I think I've narrowed down my choice the the Alps Mountaineering Camp chair. Very, very comfortable and can be found for half the price of the Snow Peak Chair. Also appears to be of very good quality and has a great warranty. I'd really try some different chairs out to find the most comfortable for you. Especially if you plan on spending that much cash on one. Definitely go sit in this Alps chair.

CampChair.jpg

I have had two of these Alps chairs for the last year and love them. Very well made and comfortable.

Bergger

Explorer
I think I've found the chair I'm gonna buy. I was at REI today and they have the REI Comfort LTG Chair. If you are looking for a lower setting chair like a Kermit you should try this out. The pillow is attached and slides up and down so it can support your lower back or upper back. They are only $29 so I think I'm gonna pick up 2. They come it orange and green, fold up flat and have a shoulder strap.

1460898.jpg

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Tucson T4R said:
I have had two of these Alps chairs for the last year and love them. Very well made and comfortable.

Yes, but they're even more comfortable on a very hot day when Brad has a seemingly infinite supply of premium ice cream at your disposal too! :chowtime:

Thanks again, Brad, that was awesome.

MaddBaggins

Explorer
We just got 3 Kermits last week. After breaking numerous cheap chairs, I'd had it and decided I would spend the coin on good chairs.

They are low, but I've discovered this is great for kickin your legs out and lounging. They are comfy and strong despite how small they look. I'm 6'2" 270 and they fit me no problem.
Got mine at Expedition Exchange. Very quick shipping. I ordered on a Friday evening and had them on Wednesday. We got the Kermit cupholders as well.

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
MaddBaggins said:
We just got 3 Kermits last week. After breaking numerous cheap chairs, I'd had it and decided I would spend the coin on good chairs.

They are low, but I've discovered this is great for kickin your legs out and lounging. They are comfy and strong despite how small they look. I'm 6'2" 270 and they fit me no problem.
Got mine at Expedition Exchange. Very quick shipping. I ordered on a Friday evening and had them on Wednesday. We got the Kermit cupholders as well.

Good to hear you are liking the Kermits. I just ordered a black one from John at EE and should be here tomorrow. There have been few things in life that I have agonized over to this degree and it really is pretty embarassing. I told my wife I now know how she feels at the Annual Nordstrom's Womens Shoe Sale:)

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
MaddBaggins said:
They are comfy and strong despite how small they look. I'm 6'2" 270 and they fit me no problem.

Alvin, you don't find the chair wobbly at all? That was my main objection to the Kermit I briefly owned (especially with the leg extensions attached).

MaddBaggins

Explorer
Green Ganesha said:
Alvin, you don't find the chair wobbly at all? That was my main objection to the Kermit I briefly owned (especially with the leg extensions attached).

Nope, pretty sturdy so far. I don't have the extensions though and I don't think I will either. Only time will tell for sure.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Wow, I am going on 6 years now with some chairs I bought at Sport Chalet for $8 each. Is there a minimum price I need to pay to be able to call myself an "overlander"? After months of reading OJ and Exp. Portal I feel I may be shunned if I ever show up at a campsite with the gear I have. Do you necessarily have to spend massive amounts of cash for good equipment? I do have some very nice stuff that I spent good money for such as my backpack, sleeping bag, most of my outdoor clothing etc.. but I do have a lot of gear that has served me well for decades that would be considered bargain basement junk.

Does anyone else have any stuff that has lasted decades that they would be embarrassed to say they own that did not cost an arm and a leg?

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
kellymoe said:
Does anyone else have any stuff that has lasted decades that they would be embarrassed to say they own that did not cost an arm and a leg?

My ABS drain-pipe snorkel comes to mind.... (Which, to the dismay of some, does definitely not embarrass me.)

Last edited:

MaddBaggins

Explorer
kellymoe said:
Wow, I am going on 6 years now with some chairs I bought at Sport Chalet for $8 each. Is there a minimum price I need to pay to be able to call myself an "overlander"? After months of reading OJ and Exp. Portal I feel I may be shunned if I ever show up at a campsite with the gear I have. Do you necessarily have to spend massive amounts of cash for good equipment? I do have some very nice stuff that I spent good money for such as my backpack, sleeping bag, most of my outdoor clothing etc.. but I do have a lot of gear that has served me well for decades that would be considered bargain basement junk.

Definitely not, stuff does not have to be expensive. For me, over the course of the last 5 years I have broken every cheap chair I have had. So now I'm gonna try the high end ones. I have a mixture of high end stuff and cheap stuff and home made stuff as well. It's a mixture of what works best for my needs.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Since this subject came up I'd like to post about the Pico chair from GCI Outdoor
gci_chairs.jpg

Josh had the GCI Highlander before which is similar minus the cupholder, storage pocket and ability to fold into a small size...I was using an Eddie Bauer foldable camp chair that was comfy but I swear it was too big for the bag it came in. On our last several trips we had problems comfortably and easily storing both of these chairs. On our last adventure with Lance he whips out this chair (which when folded down is about the same size as a laptop shoulder bag) in 5 seconds and is sitting down munching his lunch while I'm still trying to get mine out of the bag, and Josh is still trying to dig his out of the truck! :elkgrin:

It's not cheap, but the fact that it is super comfy, has a cup holder and folds down into almost nothing made us run to the nearest REI and trade in the Highlander for two Picos!

RHINO

Expedition Leader
kellymoe said:
Is there a minimum price I need to pay to be able to call myself an "overlander"? After months of reading OJ and Exp. Portal I feel I may be shunned if I ever show up at a campsite with the gear I have.

LOL kelly, i have found the internet to be like that with many things, not just camping. somebody popular or knowledgable or whatever will say they have something great and before you know it that thing has become the end all must have item, at least in cyberland. when i do go out to meet others camping i dont see alot of this higher end stuff in use, i dont know what that means,,,,

now to contribute to this thread,,,, for some reason i decided to go in k-mart one day. dont know why, i havent been there in a loooong time,,, but they had this nice looking and comfy chair, turned out it was the weeks special at $18
so i had to buy it, its got some plastic parts but seems pretty decently made and so far its doing real well, and comfy.
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_256000002125-731P?keyword=camping+chair

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy