So I'm buying a van...

HoboJen

Adventurer
so i'm seriously considering this one.... but it's also as old as me and i worry about reliability: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4278416647.html

i like: already has a roof rack, already insulated, cheap, not totally decked out so i will get to build and design it how i want - while still having the minimum i need to leave now.
i don't like: wish it was white, lacking those components that are nice to have - like kitchen / bath / power system / nice floor.

i wonder how long it would take to get a newer van set up like this... the "bare minimum" state.

java

Expedition Leader
so i'm seriously considering this one.... but it's also as old as me and i worry about reliability: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4278416647.html

i like: already has a roof rack, already insulated, cheap, not totally decked out so i will get to build and design it how i want - while still having the minimum i need to leave now.
i don't like: wish it was white, lacking those components that are nice to have - like kitchen / bath / power system / nice floor.

i wonder how long it would take to get a newer van set up like this... the "bare minimum" state.

Not long to insulate the walls ceiling and make some panels. Throw in the ikea bed and be done. I wouldnt pay that much for that van.

HoboJen

Adventurer
yeah an empty shell of a van is really a big improvement compared to what i have now... which is an uninsulated, uncomfortable, yet highly fuel efficient little car.

i kinda just want to pick something and buy it already.... getting impatient. i've spent about 3 weeks researching and thinking about all of this... and i set my deadline to decide my plan for the future by the end of the month, which is tomorrow.

i'm really tempted to get an empty shell and head to the midwest. my dad has tools and has done a lot of woodworking, and my brother is an electrician. they can definitely help me get the bare minimum done well and quickly. not that the fam is too keen on my throwing away my career (which i did about a year ago... i'm just taking it even further with the unemployed vandwelling thing)...

java

Expedition Leader
you mean you wouldn't pay $5k for that one?

or you mean you wouldn't spend $10k for something newer like this one: http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/4297304888.html

Yeah 5k for an old *** van, nope. even if it does come pre-insulated.

I paid 5k for the rig i posted above... But it needed some serious TLC.

And yes I would buy as new as you can reasonably afford, leaving enough to do what you want to the inside. Im still leaning sprinter. They can be had for under 10k

java

Expedition Leader
wow slim picking! We just purchased one a few months ago for work, newer model with the 3 liter, cab chassis 3500 for 12k

The one before was 8500 iirc, no big problems but high mileage, the older 2.7

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Sprinters as really sweet for hauling a lot of stuff around - I have had one since 2003 and it has 200K on it. So much room and good MPG. I have a full dinette area for 5 people all with seat belts and a queen sized bed in the back with three feet high storage under it and still have another three feet before the back door. I like having the sitting area and a bed separate so one person can get up while the other sleeps. My two boys usually sleep on the floor under the queen bed on pads and there is still enough room for the duffles and gear in the back as well. Really nice to be able to stand up inside and to be able to sit upright in bed too. The pre 2007 ones have more options roof rack wize as they have real rain gutters. I have a 5 x 10 foot aluminum roof deck on mine.

Repairs can be tricky on them - there is a good shop up here in Bellingham though and two down in Portland area. There are some odd problems that occur that dealers don't seem to know how to fix and throw parts at - but the online forums help a lot to help with that if you use them. Maintenance is simple - easiest oil change I've ever done.

Lightly loaded they are surprisingly easy to get stuck however. Mostly with snow and mud though - the traction control is not much help in those situations. With loaded up they are much better.

The cargo's are ideal for stealth camping - I have a window in the slider and across from it - but have black curtians for them and behind the front seats. Looks like a normal business van when parked.

If you are going to be driving a lot then the better mileage will add up - 20 mpg ($4 Diesel) vs 10 mpg ($3.33 Gas) at 10,000 miles is a savings of $1,330 dollars - not a deal breaker either way - you also probably won't do that amount of driving in a year perhaps.

Cole

Expedition Leader
I personally wouldn't limit a search to just Seattle. If you are buying it to travel you may as well get on a plane to go pick one up if its the right van at the right price.

I'd stick with something with at least fuel injection and OBDII (on board diagnostics v2...anything 1996 and newer basically). Any auto parts store will read the error codes for free or you can get a $15 adapter and a $5 app for your phone. That should eliminate 90% of basic issues and at least give you the tools to ask on forums about cheap/easy fixes before having to take it to a mechanic and pay hundreds in diagnostic work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy