So I've got this Military Tool Trailer...

JUNAC

Observer
Should I convert it into an Expedition Trailer/Camper? There are two swing out doors on the rear and the sides open like gull wing doors. I could leave the interior for gear storage and build a platform for a rooftop tent. I really need some input please.
Expedition Trailer 2.jpeg

grimbo

Explorer
Yes, similar to my Australian version. There are also a couple of other Pioneer Trailer threads on here

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I have a build thread on here for mine, which looks just like yours. I am still undecided on exactly what/how I am going to do mine so not much help there. And I have stalled on my build because I am still in the process of sorting my "junk" out from my big move from CA. Should get some more done this summer on it.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Should I convert it into an Expedition Trailer/Camper? There are two swing out doors on the rear and the sides open like gull wing doors. I could leave the interior for gear storage and build a platform for a rooftop tent. I really need some input please.
View attachment 98687

Type "military tool trailer" or "pioneer trailer" into the search box in the upper right hand corner of the page and it will bring up some great threads about them.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Yes! Yes! Yes! Build away, The Pioneer trailers are perfect to EXPO. Gull wing doors, that could open with canvas rooms,
barn door rear entry, take out the center devider and make it bunks, a pull put kitchen in the rear and drawers on the sides.
I can see it now! add a matching axle and wheels to match the Dodge.

Let's build!

JUNAC

Observer
I've been thinking about it all day, the Expo build. Not so sure about a tent on the roof because I plan to crash in the back of the truck (that's another build), but I can picture my Lodge cast iron BBQ, a bag of charcoal, the Coleman stove, a cooler full of food, one full of beverages, a place for fishing rods, a rack on the front for the mountain bikes, maybe a canoe on the roof. The possibilities are endless.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Junac: is the dodge an 8 3/4 ton?
You can get an axle from a M101a2 that bolts on and has 8 lug pattern and lose the split rims.

JUNAC

Observer
Junac: is the dodge an 8 3/4 ton?
You can get an axle from a M101a2 that bolts on and has 8 lug pattern and lose the split rims.

Yes, 2012 Megacab Laramie 2500 Heavy Duty Cummins Turbo Diesel, damn I like the sound of that, and the sound of the diesel as well. So the 8 lug of the M101a2 would match the bolt pattern of the truck?

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Yes, it is a bolt in. There were a couple listed in the sale forum.

Attachments

• DSC04857.JPG
    DSC04857.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC05008.JPG
    DSC05008.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 46

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Yes, 2012 Megacab Laramie 2500 Heavy Duty Cummins Turbo Diesel, damn I like the sound of that, and the sound of the diesel as well. So the 8 lug of the M101a2 would match the bolt pattern of the truck?

Yes and you could get surge brakes too. See my build thread for details.

JUNAC

Observer
Towed my trailer down the highway tonight without any problems. I really like the way it looks and tracks behind the Dodge. I thought I read somewhere that those are run flat tires on the trailer. Can anyone tell me if that is true or not. If so, is it necessary to carry a spare? I plan to empty it out this weekend and start planning the layout

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
No those are not runflats. If its stock they should be tube type tires. I would carry a spare as it looks like they are the stock 5 lug Budd type rims which came stock with 900x16 tires. Not a combo you will find anymore at most tire shops. If you were closer I would give you a spare for free as I have several off Dodge M-37's and WC's.

JUNAC

Observer
Well, I finally got around to emptying my trailer. I've got a few pieces of angle iron to remove from the floor and then the build begins. The first thing I plan to do is replace the tongue support leg with a crank/swivel type that I picked up last night. Something I should have done long ago. This trailer is damn heavy, even when it's empty! I'm thinking about relocating it to the rear to act as a stabilizing leg when not connected to my truck. I plan to set up one side with all of my cooking equipment and the other will have the adventure/survival gear. If anyone hear has set up a Pioneer trailer I'd love to see some pics. Some of mine to follow shortly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3