So tired of breaking R180s

skibum315

Explorer
Also, FWIW a carrier replacement (ARB) or carrier guts replacement (Lokka) won't do anything for pinion strength ... 'bout the only thing you could do there would be to go to some different diff and/or gear set that has a larger pinion shaft.

proper4wd, you may know that already ... I just wanted to clarify for those that were suggesting the Lokka as a potential fix for your most recent problem. I'm still amazed it sheared there ... wish there was an easy way to tell definitively if it was a plain shear (twisted off, no shock loading or mitigating prior failure) or if there was an extenuating circumstance that lead to the pinion shaft coming apart like that.

I'd be kinda surprised if it simply twisted in half, rather than snapping ring/pinion teeth (simply based on cross sectional area) ... but I suppose stranger things have happened.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Well, as I explained about how the traction control works. Installing a locker would reduce the stress on the pinion in many situations because moving the vehicle would only require turning the one front wheel with resistance versus two.

From my experience (I've also broken a D60 front pinion much the same way in a stuck Ford Superduty), R&P's and carriers break from shock loading. Pinions twist off from steady application of torque with a fixed load (one front wheel wedged and the other locked up from the traction control, or in the case of the D60 aggressive left foot braking in low range with 700 lb ft of spooled up turbo diesel).

For what its worth, the D60 pinion shaft is not much larger diameter than the R180.

justbecause

perpetually lost
I'm not crystal clear on the traction control you are talking about?

Was that an option on all 2nd gens? I know I have down hill assist, a rear locker, and can turn the VDC off, is there something else on my '11, or was this a later model feature?

Dmski

Adventurer
Also, FWIW a carrier replacement (ARB) or carrier guts replacement (Lokka) won't do anything for pinion strength ... 'bout the only thing you could do there would be to go to some different diff and/or gear set that has a larger pinion shaft.

proper4wd, you may know that already ... I just wanted to clarify for those that were suggesting the Lokka as a potential fix for your most recent problem. I'm still amazed it sheared there ... wish there was an easy way to tell definitively if it was a plain shear (twisted off, no shock loading or mitigating prior failure) or if there was an extenuating circumstance that lead to the pinion shaft coming apart like that.

I'd be kinda surprised if it simply twisted in half, rather than snapping ring/pinion teeth (simply based on cross sectional area) ... but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Good point! The second failure wouldn't have mattered if it had the Lokka or ARB in it. Actually, is the M205 pinion shaft larger?

jhberria

Adventurer
I suddenly feel better about the fact that my traction control disengages when my rear is locked in.

Yep. One of the reasons I often engage my rear locker when negotiating an obstacle that wouldn't otherwise require a locked differential. A conscious attempt to preserve my front diff.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
That is actually not true. The rear locker disengages the rear traction control but it is still very much active on the front axle.

Toyota a-trac is nothing special, its classic Toyota marketing to invent an acronym for something that just exists with everyone else.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
What you might be noticing is that when you engage low range, the Xterra disables stability control. That is not the same as traction control. The only way you can turn traction control off is with the button on the center stack (you have to press and hold it for a few seconds).

xterramanual1.JPG

xterramanual2.JPG

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
Not sure I'm following here. you can actually turn off traction control that the ABS monitors after you have turned off the VDC? This would be really helpful to know! I always thought that with the VDC off it is not limiting your throttle but it still engages ABLS traction control.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure I'm following either - VDC is always off in 4-Low. You can also turn off (or severely restrict) the ABLS (traction control) system by pressing the button on the stack. Although having driven mine with the traction control disabled (steering angle sensor fault) I can tell you the vehicle is pretty much incapable of getting out of its own way off road. The limited wheel travel in the front suspension is really apparent.

xterramanual3.JPG

justbecause

perpetually lost
Vdc off in 4l. That's what I thought. Atrac is specific to help with 4l. It doesn't work above like 7mph.

Now this is clear as mud for me.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
VDC is stability control. Toyota might call it DSC.

ABLS is traction control. Toyota calls it A TRAC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz