So....what's so wrong with halogens?

anickode

Adventurer
Too bad they could not figure out that technology for all halogen bulbs.....Would be great. Only a small number of rigs use these bulbs.

As far as I know, nobody makes true HIR bulbs anymore. There are still 9011/9012 bulbs sold, but they are a standard 65w capsule bulb on a 9011/9012 base. True HIR bulbs are spherical in shape, and have an INTERNAL coating that is slightly visible with the naked eye. Minimal improvement from a 9011/9012 upgrade anymore, as it is just a standard tungsten halogen bulb.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Do Toyota corollas get pulled over using this rule? if not they should. Their new LED blinding and dazzling lights are horrible for on coming drivers. And whats worse is here, everyone and their mother has one of these **** cans.
Agreed and it pertains to new BMW's and lots more newer vehicles. I'm constantly blinded by newer cars and occasionally motorcycles running their headlights in the daytime.

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
Halogens tend to high power use, so you need a high performance alternator to keep up. A good set of 100W spots for long range and driving lens for width coverage are very effective.
You can easily wire them to the high beam switch so they dim down with your factory switch. I run them both ways, so I can have them independent of the vehicle lights if I want.
Halogen are far more effective at night at seeing tone, sometimes you won't recognize an animal as such but for the eye flash or the shape difference. The LED lights have a different
spectrum and I find that I don't see colours, just a kind of black/white/grey. There is also no light backflash using halogen, unlike with LED. LED scatter light at everything, and it reflects off everything.
Anyhow, I prefer halogen. Easier for my eyes to adjust back and forth as well when meeting oncoming traffic.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Agreed and it pertains to new BMW's and lots more newer vehicles. I'm constantly blinded by newer cars and occasionally motorcycles running their headlights in the daytime.

I don't find the audi/bmw/acura LED near as annoying as the Toyota. The Toyota has the wrong color led in it, plus a projector that does not control light flare good.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Halogens tend to high power use, so you need a high performance alternator to keep up. A good set of 100W spots for long range and driving lens for width coverage are very effective.
You can easily wire them to the high beam switch so they dim down with your factory switch. I run them both ways, so I can have them independent of the vehicle lights if I want.
Halogen are far more effective at night at seeing tone, sometimes you won't recognize an animal as such but for the eye flash or the shape difference. The LED lights have a different
spectrum and I find that I don't see colours, just a kind of black/white/grey. There is also no light backflash using halogen, unlike with LED. LED scatter light at everything, and it reflects off everything.
Anyhow, I prefer halogen. Easier for my eyes to adjust back and forth as well when meeting oncoming traffic.

I have to rewire mine. I have mine hooked up to the highbeam trigger now, but I have dual switches now to switch them independently or with the high beam. HID in the 4300k spectrum are pretty well just like my 130w halogens color wise, with just some more reflective light coming back, which is good here so you can see moose long before you are on top of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach