SoCal Tear Drop Owners! Post up!

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
I'm on my phone so my reply won't be as long.

I appreciate the info. I'll be sure to look into it all when I get the wheels. I have the TRD offroad. 16x7. I'm picking up another set of the same wheels I have now to use on the TD. I'm gonna run a 255/85/16. I have a 35 on there now so I'm downsizing and should have no problem with the width of tire.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Would it be easier to change the hub over to a 6 lug? I wouldn't have to measure anything for a new hub. Then I'd just have to run a spacer?

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Wheel Adapter

Would it be easier to change the hub over to a 6 lug? I wouldn't have to measure anything for a new hub. Then I'd just have to run a spacer?

IMHO, The adapter would be an easier/quicker change out. Adapter is probably cheaper as well.

Running with:
  • Wheel: Factory TRD Off-Road 16x7.00 Wheel Offset = +32 mm - Back Space = 5.25" Inches
  • Tire: 255/85R16
  • Adapter: No spacer

It appears to me that the inboard side of the tire will be about 6 1/4" ([255mm /2] + 32mm) inboard of the face of the hub. The outboard side of the tire about 3 3/4" ([255mm/2) - 32mm) outside the face of the hub.

Recheck my numbers, but that should give you a starting point.

So, if the above is correct and you add a 2.5" spacer/adapter- the outboard side of the tire will move to about 6 1/4" (3 3/4" + 2 1/2") from the face of the hub. The inside of the tire will move to about 3 3/4" (6 1/4" - 2 1/2") inboard of the face of the hub.

Hope that helps.

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Trailer- Bearings

One other thing I might mention is in regards to the trailer wheel bearings. I had a couple of bearing failures on my Chaser running the 37" tires and a 3" wheel adapter. Mario, from Adventure Trailers, and I had several conversations trying to determine the cause of the failure. About the only thing we could think of was the extra torque created on the bearing by moving a large, heavy, tire ~3" outboard of the hub.

Adventure Trailers suggested I switch out the standard bearings to Timken brand bearings. Since doing that, I have had no bearing failures. (knock on wood) We really don't know what caused the failure, but using a high quality bearing seems to have solved it. I believe AT's standard bearing is now Timken. That is what I'm running in my AT Teardrop.

Of course, the first failure happened at the most inconvenient time. I noticed the first failure just as my wife and I were getting to head over Ophir pass in Colorado. Just before getting on the trail, I happened to look at the trailer's passenger side tire from the side rear view mirror and noticed the tire was angled funny. Upon further investigation, the tire was about 3" from vertical. Grabbed the tire and gave it a good shake. The tire wobbled considerably. No bueno. Pulled the tire, hub, and bearing. I got a hand full of chewed up metal when I inspected the bearing. The wheel bearings had completely failed and had scored the wheel spindle. I put in a call to Adventure Trailers to get the bearing part number. Mario got on the phone and found the nearest bearing source for me. (Great customer service! Mario even called the next day to make sure we were back up and running!) Of course, the nearest place to get a bearing was 1.5 hours away in Durango, CO. So, I left the trailer on the side of the road and went for the bearing. 4.5 hours later we were back on the trail. SO...if you aren't running a quality bearing, do yourself a favor and swap out the wheel bearings. You might also want to throw extra bearings in your spare parts locker. I carry a couple of sets...now.

Just my $0.02

MikeH

Observer

The hubs for these trailers aren't very expensive, and they are easy to swap. This is how my friend changed the wheels spacing in my old trailer from Jeep 5 lug to Toyota 6 lug. You might need to change to a longer stud and add a spacer if your wheels use a lot of backspacing. He didn't need the spacer. The closer in you can run the wheels the less stress on the bearings.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Thanks for the info guys.

I'm gonna research it some more on both and see what I end up doing when I'm ready to do it.

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Wheel Adapter

...So what is the overall width of the adapter? 1 1/2 inches for the first piece then how much is the 2nd piece?...

Total thickness of my adapter is 2 1/4". As stated earlier, and reconfirmed this morning, the part bolted to the hub is 1 1/2".

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Wheel Adapter

Cool. thanks for getting that info.

What wheel are you running on your trailer?

I'm running factory Toyota Off-Road wheels- 16 x 7.00 - with 235/85R16 Cooper STMAXX tires mounted on the wheels. I have about 3" clearance between the inside of the tire and trailer. The outside of the tire sits flush with the outside edge of the 12" fender. I love the setup!

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
The 5 spoke wheel? That's the same wheels I have on my Tacoma and gonna put on the trailer. I'm gonna do a 255/85/16 tire though.

mvbeggs

Adventurer
The 5 spoke wheel? That's the same wheels I have on my Tacoma and gonna put on the trailer. I'm gonna do a 255/85/16 tire though.

Yup- one and the same:

attachment.php

Keith Starr

Inmate #2558516
Took delivery of my CCT 510 last Saturday. Excellent build quality, handles like a dream off-road, suspension is fantastic. Couple pictures taken during shakedown in the Rio Puerco, NM.

tnV1RWR.jpg

BlJ4sNL.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater