Softopper w/rack?

Crenshaw

Adventurer
Anyone using a setup like this currently?

I'm considering switching to something like this from my Wildernest for a number of reasons.

Here's the rack setup that softopper offers:

truck-cap-rack-01.jpg

Something like that would work but even lower profile would be fine like the ones that yakima makes, my dad uses one of these on his Tacoma and it's pretty slick:

41N-L801qEL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

I don't need some monster ladder rack or absurd exo-skeleton looking thing- no RTTs or super heavy stuff on the roof ever- but I need a roof rack to use almost daily in the summer for toys.

You guys that are using soft tops, what is your solution for security? I was considering building a bed platform and locking the tailgate somehow, so that there is a secure area under the platform.

gillbrak

I use the upper rack you have posted there. It's from US Rack I believe it's called the CapRack. I cut mine down about 3.5" and wish I did about 5" as it sits super high over the Softopper and I don't ever take my Softopper down. It supports a fly rod box, RTT and awning. I have the Decked drawer system in my truck bed for 4WD and fishing gear. I'm not sure that your second pic there would actually work or not with the Softopper. I can get you pictures of mine tomorrow when it's light out.

Crenshaw

Adventurer
I use the upper rack you have posted there. It's from US Rack I believe it's called the CapRack. I cut mine down about 3.5" and wish I did about 5" as it sits super high over the Softopper and I don't ever take my Softopper down. It supports a fly rod box, RTT and awning. I have the Decked drawer system in my truck bed for 4WD and fishing gear. I'm not sure that your second pic there would actually work or not with the Softopper. I can get you pictures of mine tomorrow when it's light out.

Thanks! I would like to see a picture or two of that if it's not too inconvenient. I think you're right about the Yakima uprights not working with the soft top, it looks like they mount to the inside of the bed sides which would interfere.

I checked out the Dissent Offroad stuff and while it's pretty cool looking (debateably), it's way overkill for what I need and definitely doesn't match my truck.

TT-Tacoma

Observer
I installed my softopper in the fall last year and have been debating a drawer system for locking items. Mainly for firearms and ammo but could be used for recovery gear too. I dirt bike solo sometimes and being able to haul the bike in the bed was my reason for the softopper vs hard shell so a full drawer system wouldn't work for me. I've toyed with the idea of a smaller drawer on one side but now with the fridge in the bed I'm going to have to rethink some stuff.

Anywho. I like that decked drawer and rack option. If I had a RTT that would be sweet but than I'd have to pull my trailer if I wanted to bring my dirt bike.

Darn dirt bikes!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Crenshaw

Adventurer
I installed my softopper in the fall last year and have been debating a drawer system for locking items. Mainly for firearms and ammo but could be used for recovery gear too. I dirt bike solo sometimes and being able to haul the bike in the bed was my reason for the softopper vs hard shell so a full drawer system wouldn't work for me. I've toyed with the idea of a smaller drawer on one side but now with the fridge in the bed I'm going to have to rethink some stuff.

Anywho. I like that decked drawer and rack option. If I had a RTT that would be sweet but than I'd have to pull my trailer if I wanted to bring my dirt bike.

Darn dirt bikes!

It's kind of interesting- the more I think about what's required for security/storage/roof rack, it begins to negate the positive attributes of the soft top in the first place. I usually trailer my moto, or ride it to where we're going around here, but it sure would be nice to toss it in the back. But obviously that goes out the window with a storage deck, and potentially even with just the rack. Even the prospect of getting a load of firewood doesn't work with the storage deck.

Maybe I'm verging back towards the tried and true hard shell and sleeping platform. And if I go that route I may as well stick with the Wildernest. I'm not getting anywhere here.

TT-Tacoma

Observer
It's kind of interesting- the more I think about what's required for security/storage/roof rack, it begins to negate the positive attributes of the soft top in the first place. I usually trailer my moto, or ride it to where we're going around here, but it sure would be nice to toss it in the back. But obviously that goes out the window with a storage deck, and potentially even with just the rack. Even the prospect of getting a load of firewood doesn't work with the storage deck.

Maybe I'm verging back towards the tried and true hard shell and sleeping platform. And if I go that route I may as well stick with the Wildernest. I'm not getting anywhere here.
Sorry dude didn't mean to throw a wrench in your process. I've just realized for me having the soft topper is the best of both worlds other than the aspect of not being able to have that warm and fuzzy when securing stuff. Having access and from both sides while loading and unloading is a huge bonus over the hard shells I've had in the past too. Unless one lucky enough to have the funds to order a custom topper with windoors.

My only solution so far to this issue is a cable lock to secure my mountain bike when needed. It's not perfect but so far all I got.

I do have a pop n lock power tail gate lock which is nice to have especially because I leave my moto bed extender in my bed most of the time to keep my sand bags and hockey bag separate.

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Adventurer
why not use a hictch mounted dirt bike rack?

I've used one in the past- they're a little sketchy... The dirt bike thing isn't a big issue for me personally- most of our riding is local singletrack and we all ride plated bikes. When we need to go further I can use someone else's rig or trailer.

I hadn't though much about the ease of access through the side of the soft topper, that sounds great. The biggest minus for me is the lack of security, it would be nice to leave the truck unattended in places like Baja without wondering if anything will be left when you get back. Of course, breaking into a hardshell topper is only a stone's throw away also.

I'm still leaning towards the soft top- I think the rack situation may be easiest resolved by just designing something myself. I'm not real impressed with the existing offerings, especially for the price.

TT-Tacoma

Observer
why not use a hictch mounted dirt bike rack?
Funny you bring that up. I have one that I traded for when I had to make the change from a Sierra to a Durango a couple years back. It is a viable option, I did use it many a time to haul my bike around, and they do work quite well.

For me it came down to with the 5' bed I can't sleep in it so it's better to be able to easily load/unload with the softopper not being permanent and easily removable than having a hard shell.

I've loaded a pallet of dirt in the bed of a truck with a hard shell and quickly remembered how much I hate climbing in the bed and hitting my head too. And I'm only 5'7"!

But hey that's just me! There is no perfect set up. All come with a con to their pro.

If I had a 6' bed I'd be more than happy to give a hard shell and topper lift a shot. My wife liked he simplicity of that design when we saw it at the State Fair.

Sorry I'm interjecting so much OP! I love discussions on this stuff.

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk

TT-Tacoma

Observer
I've used one in the past- they're a little sketchy... The dirt bike thing isn't a big issue for me personally- most of our riding is local singletrack and we all ride plated bikes. When we need to go further I can use someone else's rig or trailer.

I hadn't though much about the ease of access through the side of the soft topper, that sounds great. The biggest minus for me is the lack of security, it would be nice to leave the truck unattended in places like Baja without wondering if anything will be left when you get back. Of course, breaking into a hardshell topper is only a stone's throw away also.

I'm still leaning towards the soft top- I think the rack situation may be easiest resolved by just designing something myself. I'm not real impressed with the existing offerings, especially for the price.
Dude you and I with a couple beers could talk for hours about this stuff!

A second option for you and I, depending on size of items you are looking to secure, are a console vault and a under the back seat vault. Both aren't cheap but offer a place to have things double locked.

Hell if you're not sleeping in her bed and not planning on putting the moto in the their you could always do a bed rail height tool box since you'd have easy access from the sides with the softopper.

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk

KTempleton

Observer
I'm looking into the same kind of set up. Just had a kiddo and if it's going to be the adventure mobile I'm going to need a place to keep stuff out of the weather. Extra bags, pack and play and pretty much everything else I've just thrown in the back seat.
I got a first gen tundra double cab. So the options are already slim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater