SOLD. 1998 Stewart and Stevenson M1078 w/ S-280 shelter.

DirtTrailsWanted

Did you use the S280 tie down kit ?
I can gather more photos of how the box is attached but in this google album there are some that show it. I did not use the s280 kit. I had difficulty finding one and did not like that it would have meant the use of chains, rather the cable, as well the chains would have run across the side rather than across the front and back corners. The front cables are mounted to M20 eye bolts that are through mounted on the bed, and the rear corners are anchored with another through bolt that passes through one of the fence stake corners. The cables are mounted to the box at load points that states '14,400 lbs. tensile load per corner in any direction' that information can be found here. addition to the cables it's bolted down using the dolly wheel mounting points that are on the box with grade 8 hardware. The cables are 3/8" 7x19 Galvanized Aircraft Cables, rated breaking strength of 14,400lbs, the same is true for the turnbuckles that are used to tension it onto the bed.

ARCowboy

I can gather more photos of how the box is attached but in this google album there are some that show it. I did not use the s280 kit. I had difficulty finding one and did not like that it would have meant the use of chains, rather the cable, as well the chains would have run across the side rather than across the front and back corners. The front cables are mounted to M20 eye bolts that are through mounted on the bed, and the rear corners are anchored with another through bolt that passes through one of the fence stake corners. The cables are mounted to the box at load points that states '14,400 lbs. tensile load per corner in any direction' that information can be found here. addition to the cables it's bolted down using the dolly wheel mounting points that are on the box with grade 8 hardware. The cables are 3/8" 7x19 Galvanized Aircraft Cables, rated breaking strength of 14,400lbs, the same is true for the turnbuckles that are used to tension it onto the bed.

Thanks for the details ! Those combined with the pictures paint a pretty strong picture.

DirtTrailsWanted

Thanks for the details ! Those combined with the pictures paint a pretty strong picture.
I think it's on there about as well as it could be! My best estimate is that the box weighs roughly 3500lbs fully built out and will a full load when its lived in (ie: food, water, clothes, and personal items), I feel pretty confident that the truck could go onto its side and the box would stay in place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk