SOLD: 1999 Mitsubishi Fuso FG 4x4 Aluminum Camper / San Diego

fullwheat

4x4 MITSUBISHI DIESEL EXPEDITION CAMPER/MOTORHOME/RV/SURF TRIP TRUCK

This is a custom built expedition camper with a 1999 Mitsubishi Fuso FG 4x4 base truck with a turbo diesel. The truck is in great mechanical shape. I drove it from Florida to California, then down through Mexico to Guatemala, back up to Texas, then to California again, and then to Canada and back to California. I never had any problems with it. Oil, oil filter and fuel filter were changed at less than 3000 mile intervals.
It gets 18mpg at 60mph, appr. 16mpg at 70mph.
The entire camper box is made from aluminum. The interior height is appr. 6'3. The box weighs appr. 15% of the entire vehicle, so the center of gravity is relatively low. There are no welds whatsoever on the entire aluminum construction, everything is bolted with appr. 500 bolts that are all double zinc covered and then double rubber coated. The bolted construction lets the box flex slightly on rough roads or when driven off road, which avoids damage to the connections often seen in welded units.
The walls have the densest 2" insulation on the market. All corners and edges are double rubber coated from the inside.
The windows are made from plexi glass and can all three be tilted up to the outside. The queen size bed is under the roof with a door above it, which can be used for stargazing before falling asleep, or for access to the roof. 70% of the roof is diamond plate aluminum, the roof can be walked on and used for storage.
The camper has a large side storage area that can be accessed from the outside. The rear section is angled for increased clearance when going up steep hills and when parking (truck fits into most regular parking spots).
The camper has a small extra room with a portable toilet and a shower. I never hooked up the shower, but all lines and the water pump are in place.
The truck is ready to go, but the box might need work depending on your needs. It has a large fridge with freezer that I never hooked up, I only used it for dry food storage. Wires for a solar system are in place, but I removed the solar panels from the roof for my new camper. I got a larger unit because a baby is on the way.
This camper is very comfortable for two people but can sleep up to four.
Please do not expect a new vehicle. This truck has been used a lot and it shows. It is very functional and tough. I have camped on beaches, in deserts, in rain forests, in cities, went up mountains, drove in 110 degrees as well as in 10 degrees. It has seen lots of sun, snow, rain and storms.
I never got stuck with it, even in deep sand or mud. I never even had to put it in the 4x4 low gear (but it does of course work!). I pulled several other vehicles out of mud, including several Jeeps. The air intake is appr. 6 feet above ground, so you could theoretically drive through up to 6 feet of water.
The box is probably somewhat overbuilt. I once hit a roof in Mexico with the rear upper corner when backing up, the roof now has a triangular shape missing in the concrete, the truck had a scratch in the paint. Another time I hit a tree in a campground. That tree has a similar triangular dent, the truck had a scratch.
The vehicle has current tags and I have the title in hand, no liens on it. It is currently registered in Arizona. The current location is San Diego.
Please contact me with any questions - hornburgh at gmail dot com
Thanks!

greenhousenewpaint.jpg

gh2x.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
Since links to Blogspot don't always work, here's a copy of the second image of the truck.

hornburgh-1.jpg

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Free bump, and a question: Ever have any difficulties traveling in Mexico and points south due to the color? Any hassles because it's a "military" color?

fullwheat

Hey Guys,

Yeah, I lowered the price to $12k, I need the dough for baby clothing quickly!

I am working on interior photos, will post them soon.

I am not sure if the color was a problem or maybe even a blessing. I did get a full search at most military stops, but I have heard that from other motorhome owners in campgrounds down south, as well. Aside from those searches, I was once stopped for not having a license plate on the front.
The color being similar to that being used on military vehicles might actually keep people from approaching it. I have a feeling that "blending in" when parked in nature (as opposed to standing out e.g. with a white paint job) tends to avoid being annoyed by police or others.
Overall, I feel safer camping in Mexico than in the States. The few weird experiences I have had over the years were in the States, mostly in Walmart parking lots.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Nice. Good price. I'd like to see the build pictures of that thing. What's the history on the truck? All miles as a camper or was it formerly used for something else? Not that crazy about the color. Was it a deliberate choice of color?

fullwheat

$7900 as of 6-13-2010

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/1788472639.html

I just lowered the price for the last time.
$7900, the aluminum alone cost me more than that. Tons of people have contacted me, yet nobody has actually shown up to look at the truck yet.
Where are the adventurers? Is everyone just sitting in front of the computer?
Get this thing and head south!

If the truck has not sold in the coming weeks, I will take the camper shell off and give it to a dealership to sell it as a plain Fuso FG 4x4.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Personally, all I can do is sit in front of the computer right now.

I see you have added a couple of interior shots in the new CL ad. That should help.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Yeah, ditto,

If I had the cash I would seriously consider buying this thing, but I don't, in fact I am just about to finish a Masters and look for a job. I am sure someone will pick this thing up sooner or later. It looks like a nice truck.

I would love to see more interior photos of the coach and the cab. Also, if I may ask, is it automatic or stick? I did not see it in the original add.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy