SOLD - Off Road Expedition Trailer With Roof Top Tent For Sale

Jon Nelson

Observer
SOLD 4/14/13

I purchased this bare trailer in October '12 from a roof top tent dealer that commissioned the trailer as a demo to explore selling complete packages. I ordered a new Kukenam roof top tent from Tepeui Tent. We quickly made a 3/4" birch ply lid fro the trailer to mount the Kukenam to the hinges on the trailer. We had some friends visiting and made a trip up the southern coast of CA for four days in late October. (Edit, we took the rig to Desert Rendezvous 2013, so the RTT has now been experienced for six nights. We own a PAV and can't afford two adventure vehicles...)

It was a great trip. My wife and I liked the roof top tent experience and we decided to keep the trailer and modify it as our guest suite for The PAV. My intention was to extremely modify the trailer with boxes and make a way for an outboard inflatable RIB boat with outboard to be stored on top. With a recent employment change there won't be time or money anytime in the future to build my dream (or buy the RIB!).

Here's what the combo looks like currently with no extra stuff on the trailer. The tent is currently mounted so the ladder is on the street side so the hinged lid of the trailer can easily be accessed.

Tent1.jpg

LidOpen.jpg

TentInt1.jpg

StreetRearTentClosed.jpg

RearTentClosed.jpg

The trailer was made by www.offroadtrailerz.com The tent was made by www.tepuitents.com

Front deck is ready for gear or customizing with boxes, tanks, refrigerator box, fuel cans, etc.

FrontDeck.jpg

Trailer was made with rear receiver and a vertical receiver on the front deck to accommodate two load bars for canoes, kayaks, surfboards, etc. These will be included with the sale

WithKayakCurb.jpg

WithKayakStreet.jpg

Articulating Hitch is included

Hitch.jpg

Here are the trailer specs as I know them

Single Axle Trailer - 3,500GVW (no brakes on axle) - 4 leaf spring suspension - dealer I bought it from said the 5 lug 16" wheels match a Jeep but I don't have a Jeep so I can't tell - current tires Goodyear Wrangler MT/R LT245/75R16 Load Range E

Total Trailer length is 11' (plus 12" additional for the rear boat support if it is in the rear receiver on the trailer)

Cargo Box Interior Dimensions - 71 3/4"L x 47 3/4"W x 18"H (16 3/4" clearance under lid hinge bars)

Cargo Box exterior top is 41" off the ground when trailer is level

Boat Bars have 70" usable boat width space, 93" front to back spread between the bars, bars are 62" off the ground when the trailer is level

So,

I'm reluctantly ready to let go of this dream while my life settles down - Asking $3,400 - trailer is located in Costa Mesa, CA (Orange County between Los Angeles and San Diego) - fastest way to contact me is production hero at mac dot com (but I'll try to respond to questions here on the forum promptly as well)

Thanks for your interest!

Last edited:

Jon Nelson

Observer
Rick, that's funny! Actually I agree!

Here's a couple more pictures of Rick's work

Another of the front deck with the front removable load bar in use

FrontDeck2.jpg

A shot from underneath of the back rear tubing

UnderneathRear2.jpg

Another shot underneath from the rear

UnderneathFromRear.jpg

And a shot underneath looking from the front with the camera just under the tongue

UnderneathBeams.jpg

Fjphin

I'm interested in this trailer

Please email me a phone number so I came see the trailer today. I'm out of Newport beach

Jon Nelson

Observer
I'm heading back to CA this morning (Monday 3/25). Many thanks to all of the inquirers! However, no one has spoken with immediate money yet... I'd like to sell this week before I leave on another two weeks of business trips. A great looking trailer with a rood top tent that has only been slept in for six nights is available here! Thanks.

Jon Nelson

Observer
I would love to sell by this Saturday 3/30 before I leave on another business trip Sunday (and owe another months driveway space rental on Monday...)

MOSDIF589

Axel Adventures
I just hit Mapquest..... WOW..... Over 2k miles each way..... Aprox 267 gal of gas at $3.50 = $933.00 just in fuel.... Dang I wish I were closer!!!!

I can't believe no body on the west coast hasn't grabbed this, good Luck with the sale....

MOSDIF589

Jon Nelson

Observer
$933 is a bargain! I'll even buy you a steak dinner at pick- up!

Actually you can't buy a gallon of water for $3.50 here, much less a gallon of gasoline!

Thanks for thinking about it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy