Some NE Nevada fun

Condition Yellow

EAN 36 enhaler
It's ALL about the memories!

Son and I on top of Mt. Wheeler, NV. One of us is jazzed, one of us is trying not to puke. Can you tell?
mtwheeler001.jpg

More Mt. Wheeler:
mtwheeler003.jpg

mtwheeler002.jpg

Fishin' daughters:

An undisclosed glory hole:sombrero:
Leaderoffish.jpg

Rambo:
9bc30e6d.jpg

The little one can catch too! Notice the shirt.
DSC04234.jpg

ALWAYS test gear before the outing. This Wetterlings chipped on elk bone:
Axblade.jpg

The thrill of discovering rock art. Notice the hat:
7b1cdcb5.jpg

Lithic remnants:
15fabf42.jpg

A Fremont village:
39220bb1.jpg

NE Nevada hills:
9d49a401.jpg

Nevada sunset:
May1406103.jpg

Last edited:

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
How far NE? there is a section I really want to get into near the Idaho line off of 93. I spend some time just north of the utah/nevada/idaho line on the Idaho side. City of Rocks was way cool we thought but kind of a busy (popular climbing spot). We also ended up west of there in a separate mountain range and had a blast for Christmas.

Richie

Adventurer
Beautiful scenery in Nevada! Thanks for sharing.

I read once that Nevada is actually the most mountainous state in the lower 48. Anyone know if that is true?

Mr. D

Adventurer
Great pictures, I have also read in several books that Nevada in the most mountainous state, maybe not 14 teeners but mountains of of various sizes.

Condition Yellow

EAN 36 enhaler
John,

Most of the pics were taken in White Pine County, south of where you are talking about. However, a lot of Northern Nevada looks similar. The Owahee area on the Nevada-Idaho border is a nice area. The Rubies, north of me, and near Elko, are beautiful.

Richie, your are correct. Most think of Nevada as vast, flat desert. It certainly has a lot of desert, but very mountainous. The majority of ranges run North-South. LOTS of areas to explore, and there are still areas of Nevada that are quite remote. The Pony Express trail runs right through our valley, and knowing some old-timers who do the re-ride annually, I've heard some fascinating stories of what is still hidden back where vehicles can't make it.

When it warms up and the snow melts, my first planned trek is off to look for the Lost Joshua Ward cabin. The story tells of a hauntingly tragic event of a lost family in the 1870's, killed by indians somewhere North of Cherry Creek. Several trips have been undertaken over the years to locate it, including at least 1 helpcopter. I've spoken with one or two individuals who claim to know where it is, but say nothing is left but scattered logs.

You can read about it here: http://www.webpanda.com/white_pine_county/historical_society/Jerry_Bowen/joshua_ward.htm

Last edited:

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
right on. yeah i ended up finding Wheeler Mtn last night Now I would love to explore some of that country west of Contact. and up toward the idaho border. I really got a kick out of the gradual slopes that just break off into cliffs and deep ravines. The trek to find the cabin sounds like a lot of fun.

Dezrat

Joshua Ward Cabin

I see that you are looking for the Joshua Ward Cabin near Cherry Creek. After reading the story, I think finding the cabin would be really worthwhile. Have you found it? I'd appreciate seeing pictures of the cabin or its remains.

Thank you

Bob

rarecj8

Observer
John,

Most of the pics were taken in White Pine County, south of where you are talking about. However, a lot of Northern Nevada looks similar. The Owahee area on the Nevada-Idaho border is a nice area. The Rubies, north of me, and near Elko, are beautiful.

Richie, your are correct. Most think of Nevada as vast, flat desert. It certainly has a lot of desert, but very mountainous. The majority of ranges run North-South. LOTS of areas to explore, and there are still areas of Nevada that are quite remote. The Pony Express trail runs right through our valley, and knowing some old-timers who do the re-ride annually, I've heard some fascinating stories of what is still hidden back where vehicles can't make it.

When it warms up and the snow melts, my first planned trek is off to look for the Lost Joshua Ward cabin. The story tells of a hauntingly tragic event of a lost family in the 1870's, killed by indians somewhere North of Cherry Creek. Several trips have been undertaken over the years to locate it, including at least 1 helpcopter. I've spoken with one or two individuals who claim to know where it is, but say nothing is left but scattered logs.

You can read about it here: http://www.webpanda.com/white_pine_county/historical_society/Jerry_Bowen/joshua_ward.htm

FOUND THIS THREAD BY GOOGLE SEARCH. WE HAVE TREKKED OVER MANY oops, many miles of hill country looking for the ward cabin. we're off in 2 months to took very closely at a suspected site that from google earth offers many conclusive clues we're on the right track. tantalizing quest. our research places it west of CR, not north...

happy trails friends!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__